PDA

View Full Version : Owners of "gun free zone" now liable in Tennessee

abunaitoo
07-03-2016, 05:56 PM
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/gun-free-zone-tennessee-business-liable-disarming-concealed-carry-holders
Now here's a state that has some common sense.
My sister lives in Tennessee. She has a CCW. She got it "just in case".
I wish the state I'm in cared about it people as much as Tennessee.

M-Tecs
07-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Very nice!!!!!!

snowwolfe
07-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Add this to what is good about Tennessee.
If you are in your car, truck, RV, etc. you have the legal right to carry a concealed loaded weapon as long as you can legally purchase it (No CCW required). The state government has determined your vehicle is an extension of your home and you have every right to protect yourself.

GaryN
07-03-2016, 06:20 PM
I like it.

bedbugbilly
07-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Love it! If the left is going to dictate what is "gun free" . . . then they should also be liable for their actions.

hutch18414
07-03-2016, 06:31 PM
When I was purchasing fireworks last night I got a veterans discount and the dealer was telling me that veterans in TN can now carry open or concealed without a permit. Will have to check this out, supposedly went into effect July 1st.

jonp
07-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Interesting. I agree. If a business demands you disarm then they are responsible for your safety.

Ithaca Gunner
07-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm starting to love Tennessee!

dragon813gt
07-03-2016, 06:36 PM
That's what's called common sense. I foresee Bloomberg dumping a bunch of money to challenge this in court.

Houndog
07-03-2016, 07:06 PM
There has been several laws enacted that are Very pro gun lately! We have one of the strongest castle doctrine laws in the US! If you have to shoot someone and it's ruled justified, you can not be sued by the perp in civil court. If you work for a company that doesn't allow you to carry at work, you can store your weapon in your vehicle while in the parking lot of that company and not be diciplined for doing so. We can carry in parks, and that includes city, state or national parks. School teachers and other school employees with a CCP can now carry on campus. You can carry in bars, but you CAN NOT drink Alcohol while armed! Our CCP is honored in something like 38 states AND ALL permits from other states that honor ours are valid here.
There are a few more laws in the works like if you have a CCP you won't need a background check for gun purchases and the REAL biggie, If a gun is made in Tennessee and purchased by a LEGAL state resident NO background check will be required! ( think Barrett 50's, UZi's, Berettas and FN!) Those last two are being fought out with BATF and I don't see these happening untill obozo and his clowns are gone. Sadly, our rabidly pro gun Leutenant Governor that's been the driving force behind most of our new gun laws will be retiring this term. The good news is the person most likely to replace him is just as pro gun as he is.

Houndog
07-03-2016, 07:19 PM
That's what's called common sense. I foresee Bloomberg dumping a bunch of money to challenge this in court.

I don't think you will see Bloomerburg messing around in Tennessee much. He has an active arrest warrant here for a straw purchase!

quietmike
07-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Actually the law was intended to make business owners liable, but it was gutted and replaced with language that makes a business exempt from liability for failing to make their establishment a gun free zone.

https://legiscan.com/TN/text/SB1736/2015

As enacted, provides immunity from civil liability to a person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by positing, with respect to any claim based on the person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt such a policy. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Houndog
07-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Hey Mike,
Did you actually READ the bill? You might want to.

quietmike
07-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Hey Mike,
Did you actually READ the bill? You might want to.

I posted what actually passed.

quietmike
07-03-2016, 08:06 PM
If you don't want to believe me, read the article posted in the OP, and actually click on the link to the actual bill instead of reading the outdated, incorrect summary in the story.

It is exactly what I posted.

MrWolf
07-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Ok. Maybe I should start considering Tennessee instead of South Carolina. Any recommended counties for acreage, hunting, fishing, shooting, etc?

dragon813gt
07-03-2016, 10:37 PM
I don't think you will see Bloomerburg messing around in Tennessee much. He has an active arrest warrant here for a straw purchase!

You do realize he's not a lawyer? His organizations will simply fund the lawsuits. He can stay in New York and attempt to change your laws in Tennessee. He likes doing this type of thing.

SSGOldfart
07-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Carter county town of Elizabethton has some of the best small-mouth bass fishing in the state,miles of mountain land for Deer and Black Bear.

44man
07-04-2016, 12:47 PM
We can carry now in WV without a permit. Open carry was legal before but now concealed is also legal. But I hate the no gun allowed signs.

snowwolfe
07-04-2016, 02:24 PM
We can carry now in WV without a permit. Open carry was legal before but now concealed is also legal. But I hate the no gun allowed signs.

While not requiring a permit is a great idea it soon loses its luster if you travel. Because once you leave the state you cant legally carry anymore.

ole 5 hole group
07-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Who in the hell would want to leave WV?

dragon813gt
07-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Who in the hell would want to leave WV?

Some of us travel for work. I don't live in WV. But it's one state I don't complain about when I'm sent there. I like a lot about it and it feels like home. Been looking at property there but I'm not ready to make that purchase. One of the requirements for my job is that I live close to an airport. This is one area where WV is lacking. Not that they don't have them. Just that it's expensive to fly in and out of them.

Bookworm
07-04-2016, 07:53 PM
While not requiring a permit is a great idea it soon loses its luster if you travel. Because once you leave the state you cant legally carry anymore.

Oklahoma recognizes all other state permits. If you can lawfully carry in your state, you can carry here.
Even if your state is "Constitutional carry" - no permit required, as in Vermont, with a Vermont ID one can carry concealed here.

starmac
07-04-2016, 08:10 PM

But wouldn't it be nice if all states adhered to your god given right. Several more have gone that way in the last year or so, so it is possible that most eventually will.

leeggen
07-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Another law that passed in Tn. is if you have a DD-214 you are not required to complete a cc course. All you need to do is go to the DMV and apply for your permit. I just finish my course the other day and the instructor told us about the new ruling. A couple of the guys left but I decided to do the course anyway, besides my youngest son hed ask me to do the same class he was in, so we did it. I could not beleive the number of shooters that shot with 22's, several had 9's and I was the only one with 40, the instuctor had a 45 only 2 of us used reloads with cast, all others used factory loads.
CD

44man
07-05-2016, 09:46 AM
WV was funny when hunting. You could CC but the hunting handgun had to be open. But you don't conceal a big revolver with a red dot anyway.
When I was in Ohio, I had a .44 on my hip all the time, fishing or varmints, could not shoot deer with them at the time. The year I had to move, it became legal for deer. But my first year in WV I could hunt deer with them. Never quit. I was 16 with my first .357 and 19 with my flat top Ruger. Always on my side.
Many states recognize WV carry but don't go near MD or even close to DC. Liberal bastions.

Blackwater
07-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Wow! And here I was thinking I'd never see a relatively sensible gun law! When anyone disarms its customers/users, it has always had the duty to provide security for them after denying it to themselves, in a moral sense, but now it's codified in law! That's a step in the right direction. Personally, I think life ought to be like one of those old backwoods bars, with the chicken wire in front of the band, where when you get to the door, they ask if you have a gun or a knife, and if you don't have either, they ask which one you want to rent! But I guess I've always been what folks now call an "extremist" in this. But it makes sense, and moreso the more people try to denude us all from any ability to defend ourselves against oppression from any source, local or distant.

StolzerandSons
07-05-2016, 02:06 PM
PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 947 SENATE BILL NO. 1736 By Gresham Substituted for: House Bill No. 2033 By Faison, Rogers, Windle, Todd AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to liability for firearm exclusion in certain locations.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE: SECTION 1.
Tennessee Code Annotated,
Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, is amended by adding the following as a new section:
(a) A person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by posting, pursuant to§ 39-17-1359,shall be immune from civil liability with respect to any claim based on such person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt a policy that prohibits weapons on the property by posting pursuant to§ 39-17-1359. (b) Immunity under this subsection (a) does not apply to a person, business, or other entity whose conduct or failure to act is the result of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2016, the public welfare requiring it.

And the pursuant relevant section:
Title 39 Criminal Offenses
Chapter 17 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare
Part 13 Weapons
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359 (2016)
39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings -- Posting notice.

(a) (1) Except as provided in § 39-17-1313, an individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

(2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

(b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

(c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(e) This section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

(f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed by § 39-17-1311.

I don't think most of you have actually read the law as passed because it says that it makes the business immune from civil liability for making their business a gun-free zone. I do find it interesting the number of you that are willing to trample one set fo rights in favor of another. Your right to carry a gun(concealed or not) ends at my property line, if you don't like that then don't come on my property or in this case into my business.

44man
07-05-2016, 04:03 PM
They still don't get it. That sign is an invite and if you carry and save 100 lives, YOU go to jail.
Like England if you shoot a creep breaking in, you are the criminal.

quietmike
07-05-2016, 07:42 PM
PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 947 SENATE BILL NO. 1736 By Gresham Substituted for: House Bill No. 2033 By Faison, Rogers, Windle, Todd AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to liability for firearm exclusion in certain locations.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE: SECTION 1.
Tennessee Code Annotated,
Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, is amended by adding the following as a new section:
(a) A person, business, or other entity that owns, controls, or manages property and has the authority to prohibit weapons on that property by posting, pursuant to§ 39-17-1359,shall be immune from civil liability with respect to any claim based on such person's, business's, or other entity's failure to adopt a policy that prohibits weapons on the property by posting pursuant to§ 39-17-1359. (b) Immunity under this subsection (a) does not apply to a person, business, or other entity whose conduct or failure to act is the result of gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2016, the public welfare requiring it.

And the pursuant relevant section:
Title 39 Criminal Offenses
Chapter 17 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare
Part 13 Weapons
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359 (2016)
39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings -- Posting notice.

(a) (1) Except as provided in § 39-17-1313, an individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

(2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

(b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

(c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(e) This section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

(f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed by § 39-17-1311.

I don't think most of you have actually read the law as passed because it says that it makes the business immune from civil liability for making their business a gun-free zone. I do find it interesting the number of you that are willing to trample one set fo rights in favor of another. Your right to carry a gun(concealed or not) ends at my property line, if you don't like that then don't come on my property or in this case into my business.

Amazing how many people just want to believe what they want to be true, even when the truth is so easy to find.

44man
07-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Scary as hell. Who do I what by me if I don't carry? I want you. If I go into a store with the no gun sign, I hate it. Not bad here, feel safe but other areas can be hit. Have you seen where a creep went into a bar full of off duty cops? it was funny with Ermy there.