PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh Gunshow Tons of Powder

jonp
07-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Just got back from the gunshow. I went specifically to buy some powder and a few other things. No crowds. I paid and pretty much walked right in. I had no problem finding any powder I wanted at good prices. 8lb of 2400 for $160 otd. 8lbs of 4350 for $165, 8lbr of W296 was $165. All the powders were priced about the same. 4895, 4064, 3031, red dot was $140. I saw red/green/blue dot, h110, herco, unique, varget, bullseye, 231, all VV's, Zip, Enforcer, all the new Endurons. You name it. The only slighty higher priced powder I noticed was 4227 for $185/8lb.

The only powder I did not see was Trailboss. Primers about $30/1k with Tula @ $25. No lines, no panic buying. I think the AR's were normaly priced but didnt see anyone buy one. People are probably bought out on those. Found some 30rd AR mags 3/$20.

Good prices. Stock up while you can, the banners will get to tbecomponants eventually when they realize that people can load as much as they at home and it aint that hard

gnostic
07-03-2016, 03:14 PM
The Walmart, I visited a couple of days ago, had a bunch of it...

runfiverun
07-03-2016, 07:28 PM
I went to a tiny little show near here today also.
it was in a field along the side of the highway.
no powder, a few older boxes of primers and a smidgen of 22's.
I did look at a couple of model 94's and the lady offered a discount before I even picked the first one up.
it was an early model but wasn't in the right condition.
the second one I looked at was correct but a bit higher in price, it did have the octagon 24" barrel and had a factory tang sight, I just wasn't in the mood to drop $1200.00 on a 94.
I picked up some Hornady factory blems for about 6 bucks a hundred less than retail plus got another discount at the register so it wasn't too bad.

had a pretty good drag race with a 65 cobra in the Mustang too, but his 427 has just a bit more torque than my 4.6 does even with the upgrades.
we hit about 90 and called it quits before the tickets started flying in our windows.

starmac
07-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Rfiver, a friend of mine just hauled his cobra down to Idaho a couple of months ago, I have to wonder if you ran across him.

runfiverun
07-04-2016, 09:31 AM
well maybe, it was from Pocatello and in the dark green color Lotus used to use back then.

we happened to park next to each other [clear out by the gate] and left at the same time so of course we had to see who had what under the hood for sure.
I could see his 427 badges.
mine has no markings identifying what it is, but the exhaust note say's it ain't stock.

starmac
07-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Weren't my friend, as his is blue. It is a replica and I seriously doubt it is a 427, but could be. I never ask, which is unusual. He is a big guy and when you see him in it, it looks as if someone built the car around him. lol

Ken in Iowa
07-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Thanks for posting Jonp. It gives the rest of us hope!

Moonie
07-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Just got back from the gunshow. I went specifically to buy some powder and a few other things. No crowds. I paid and pretty much walked right in. I had no problem finding any powder I wanted at good prices. 8lb of 2400 for $160 otd. 8lbs of 4350 for $165, 8lbr of W296 was $165. All the powders were priced about the same. 4895, 4064, 3031, red dot was $140. I saw red/green/blue dot, h110, herco, unique, varget, bullseye, 231, all VV's, Zip, Enforcer, all the new Endurons. You name it. The only slighty higher priced powder I noticed was 4227 for $185/8lb.

The only powder I did not see was Trailboss. Primers about $30/1k with Tula @ $25. No lines, no panic buying. I think the AR's were normaly priced but didnt see anyone buy one. People are probably bought out on those. Found some 30rd AR mags 3/$20.

Good prices. Stock up while you can, the banners will get to tbecomponants eventually when they realize that people can load as much as they at home and it aint that hard

My middle son was there with his step-father. Purchased a couple of guns, a Glock 43 and a Sig 938.

DerekP Houston
07-06-2016, 09:12 PM
I stopped in a major walmart in Dallas and saw the usual bare shelves, then on my drive back to Houston popped in a smaller rural one. Everything you could imagine was on the shelf even 22lr and 17HMR. Once I work out some free time and budget I'll take a gander at the local shows next time.

BrassMagnet
07-06-2016, 10:26 PM
I stopped at a little reloading shop in Amarillo, TX today. Lots of powder on the shelves. Great selection and good prices. He had new production Unique. Lotsa Unique! I got ten one pounders and still left plenty for the rest!

He didn't have every powder, but he had a great selection. I wanted 4198 and I got to choose between IMR 4198 and H4198. I picked up two of IMR 4198, which was all of the IMR. I could have had more of the H, but two was enough.

mold maker
07-07-2016, 09:12 AM
If Hillery can be kept away from the big house or sent to a different one, and barring another tragedy, powder and primers are starting to appear at decent prices again.
With the election not far away we can see another delay until that is history, but if all the planets stay in alignment and the creeks don't rise, a new normal is predicted.
The reason for the prolonged scarcity and extended high prices is because we are all scared and still stocking up. Ammo and component manufacturers have enjoyed the ability to sell more than they can produce for quite a few years. That's one industry that hasn't had to leave the US to make a profit. The current administration has done more to promote gun and ammo sales than all the money in the world could have bought in advertisements, but a glut is beginning.