PDA

View Full Version : Thanked for my service

starbits
07-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Was at Home Depot today and showed my retired military ID for the 10% discount and the clerk thanked me for my service. I always feel awkward replying your welcome. Today I came up with a new reply. "If you really want to thank me you will vote against Hillary in November." Much more satisfying.

Starbits

9w1911
07-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Thank you for your service.

I always say that to you guys, that said: "If you really want to thank me you will vote against Hillary in November." this is perfect

Blackwater
07-02-2016, 06:40 PM
You're a good man, starbitz. People today say "thanks for your service" all too often with all the emotion of saying "you want fries with that?" It's become fashionable to say it, whether there's any real meaning behind it or not, even among the libs. What you did clearly separates the men from the boys in it.

I guess I've always had little but contempt for "empty words." Maybe it's a character flaw? But if it's not real, I'd just as soon not hear it. You're lucky. After Viet Nam, we vets never heard that phrase, so it'll always mean something, even if the person speaking it is just being PC in spouting them. But it's heartening to see someone say it who really means it. And anyone who means it couldn't possibly vote for Hillary. That's my view, and it'll offend some, but .... well, I just don't really care about that. It's the simple truth about the way I feel about it.

Thanks. Ya' done good, bro'!

9w1911
07-02-2016, 06:46 PM
thanks for your service Blackwater :drinks:

swamp
07-02-2016, 08:58 PM
My feeling is, it is over 50 yrs late.
swamp

bedbugbilly
07-02-2016, 09:00 PM
What a great "comeback"! :-)

EMC45
07-02-2016, 09:32 PM
I too feel awkward when thanked. I normally just tell them I was just doing my job.

Nueces
07-02-2016, 10:11 PM
I last heard it from a tall, blue-eyed nurse, who had just started her shift where I was medically incarcerated two days ago. But, she meant it, her husband had a full career as a Navy SEAL. Jeez, two of the saddest words I heard that week were hers: "my husband."

xs11jack
07-02-2016, 10:27 PM
The thing is, that these people say the thank you thing about 50 to 100 times a day, 5 days a week. It gets to be rote after a while. I think most mean well.
Ole Jack

shoot-n-lead
07-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Well, they are patronizing if they say it...and ingrate's if they don't...can't seem to win on this.

Has anyone ever heard of taking something in the spirit that it was intended...and then, being gracious and moving on?

Bzcraig
07-02-2016, 10:45 PM
I always assume their sincerity because they don't HAVE to say it. And I love the response!

aspangler
07-02-2016, 11:19 PM
I was thanked by an old vet at the VA the other day. He saw my 82nd cap and was a former member himself. We talked for quite a while and remembered some of the times and places we had served at.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-03-2016, 10:00 AM
As a civilian who never served, but yet a son of a WWII vet, I fear exactly what Blackwater said...that my words will seem hollow and empty when I thank a Vet for their service...sometimes I wonder if my apprehension is sensed?

mold maker
07-03-2016, 10:07 AM
I've often said it and meant every word. It's much better to be defended than offended.
Love your response.

DerekP Houston
07-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Well, they are patronizing if they say it...and ingrate's if they don't...can't seem to win on this.

Has anyone ever heard of taking something in the spirit that it was intended...and then, being gracious and moving on?

Well, I honestly appreciate anyone that took up arms and defended liberty for me and mine. I was informed it makes most uncomfortable and my current boss gave the standard rote answer of "I was there to do a job, we all did the same." I've come to accept I will never be a part of that crowd and outsiders trying to push their way in are certainly not accepted readily. The worst is for the disabled veterans I've met as they truly got the worst of it and most are so dang humble and just happy to be out (at least the ones I have met).

It is in good faith that I offer a sincere "THANK you for serving so me and mine could enjoy the safety of the US, I will never understand what you went through or what it is like transitioning back, but from the bottom of my heart I appreciate it."

To say that in person makes both parties uncomfortable so I have settled to a simple "thanks" and a handshake, seems to work here in the South and we both move on to the next task. I don't go out of my way or look for stickers signs etc, just when I happens to come up in conversation.

As a civilian who never served, but yet a son of a WWII vet, I fear exactly what Blackwater said...that my words will seem hollow and empty when I thank a Vet for their service...sometimes I wonder if my apprehension is sensed?

I have the same feeling that mine is a hollow gesture and not really welcome. My grandfather served in Merchant Marines and was stationed outside Japan during the final blows of the war. He does not enjoy discussing it so we don't press the issue. My father was one of the deferred for Vietnam and both him and I share the shame of not doing more for this country that has given us so much.

LynC2
07-03-2016, 10:26 AM
I too feel awkward when thanked, but it certainly beats what I heard from people when I returned from "Nam. I am very happy our present service members don't have to endure that now. :smile:

Three44s
07-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Starbits,

Sir, I will do both ............... thank you for your service AND vote against Hillary ....... in a meaningful way!

My mother was interogated by the Gestapo at the age of 13 and one tiny slip would have landed her father, brother and who knows who else in front of a firing squad ......... so you can take it to the bank when I write about Liberty ........ it's pretty personal to me .......

Best regards and a good July 4th and Thank you to all vets here and anywhere else!

Three 44s

44man
07-03-2016, 11:04 AM
I could have been born anywhere on earth, maybe a bug but I was born here. I want to hug everyone that made this country. Millions that gave all and we can lose it all.
I ask the Lord to come back every day to stop the madness. Bring our troops.
May God bless all still here and all that have given all for us.

bullet maker 57
07-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks and I with out a doubt will vote against Hillary.

montana_charlie
07-03-2016, 11:58 AM
My response to the 'thank you':
"It was my privilege."

packnrat
07-03-2016, 12:09 PM
i for one do say thank you and a firm hand shake to any in uniform, or have a dap or shirt, pin stating they were there.

i missed out do to a crushed leg, but we as a nation own a unpayable debt to those who served. to me it does not matter if you lead the charge to go, or was dragged by your feet over there (where ever over there was).

i have had the great opportunity to talk to a couple WWII vets. both great guys. was my honor talking to them.

war is a very sick thing. but we do have many very good things that have come out of war. sad as long as there are two men on this planet and one stick/rock there will be a fight.

and i do not vote demigod.

JSnover
07-03-2016, 01:36 PM
My response to the 'thank you':
"It was my privilege."
^That!
Especially if it comes from an older veteran and I make it a point to thank him for his service.

jonp
07-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Mine is "it was an honor serving this nation"

Frank46
07-04-2016, 12:08 AM
One of my doctors thanked me for my service on Memorial day and I really felt embarrased. Really don't know the answer either. Was over 40 years ago and just did what I did. I asked her if she would hold off on the thanks until Veterans Day as Memorial Day is for the ones that made the supreme sacrifice. or maybe I'm just getting too old. I've only had a couple of folks thank me and always felt funny about it. Frank

44man
07-04-2016, 09:06 AM
One of my doctors thanked me for my service on Memorial day and I really felt embarrased. Really don't know the answer either. Was over 40 years ago and just did what I did. I asked her if she would hold off on the thanks until Veterans Day as Memorial Day is for the ones that made the supreme sacrifice. or maybe I'm just getting too old. I've only had a couple of folks thank me and always felt funny about it. Frank
I thank you and a hug with tears for your service makes me embarrassed because it is not enough.
I never felt to honor the dead was enough either. My picture is the Lord with his hand on your head or shoulder if you gave all. I would be at piece with that. If you are still here, may God bless you.

woodbutcher
07-04-2016, 09:34 PM
When I say"Thank you for your service",I mean it with all my heart.My Father and his oldest brother served in the trenches in WW1.One of my cousins who served in WW2 served in Shermans from the Kasserine Pass to the Battle of the Bulge.Growing up I had the honor of knowing and talking with veterans from WW1,WW2 and Korea who belonged to the local American Legion post where I grew up.God bless you all.
Leo

shtur
07-06-2016, 08:00 PM
My response to the 'Thank you", is; Thank you for appreciating our service.

leeggen
07-06-2016, 10:58 PM
My comment to a thank you is the age old your welcome. The conversation can go any direction after that. Sometimes it is in a place that is alittle imbarising but they chose the time to talk not me so again just a your welcome works. Now old WWII vets seem to really like the acknowledgement cause in the thank you is you guys faught a tough war. To me they faught a completly different type of war. JMO
CD

Frank46
07-06-2016, 11:53 PM
44man, I truly do not know how to respond to your kind thoughts. Vietnam Vets were treated very badly when we came home. I got spit on and called baby killer when on my last day on active duty walking through Grand Central Station in NYC on my way home. Not that I expected a ticker tape parade or anything like that. Just wanted to transition from navy life to a civilian. One good thing did happen though, after getting kissed and hugged by my mother I went to the local delicatessen to get some stuff and the owner asked if I was home for good and I told him I just got home. He went over to the beer cooler and handed me a quart of lowenbrau and thanked me. When I got home I told mom what happened. Then sat down and had that beer. Long time ago and remember it well. Thanks for the kind words from all of you. Frank

smokeywolf
07-07-2016, 12:31 AM
I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I did not serve in defense of our country.

Another thing that I feel shame for is that veterans and service members are not sick and tired of hearing "Thank you for your service." many times each and every day.
Those who did not serve owe a debt that is near impossible to pay, to those who risked and sacrificed all so that our butts could stay safe and comfortable here at home.

Oh, and just in case y'all haven't figured it out yet. I might vote for a scoundrel or scallywag, but I don't vote for lying, treasonous, traitorous, turncoats. That means I definitely don't vote for Dems.

All you veterans and service members; I am so happy to have this means and opportunity to thank you for what you did for me, for mine and for our Country.

smokeywolf

Rustyleee
07-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Thank you for your service and a good comeback!

CastingFool
07-07-2016, 07:10 AM
I have been thanked for my service a number of times. Sometimes, it felt like it was a canned response, and sometimes I really felt it really came from the heart. Those times were special, and would almost bring tears to my eyes. I am glad I served in the military, and I wasn't even born in the U.S.

44man
07-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I have been thanked for my service a number of times. Sometimes, it felt like it was a canned response, and sometimes I really felt it really came from the heart. Those times were special, and would almost bring tears to my eyes. I am glad I served in the military, and I wasn't even born in the U.S.
Not from me, you get a hug and tears.
I am at a loss from God. Talk to me
as only a tiny drop in billions. Please help.

leeggen
07-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Smokywolf not everyone served and for me that is ok causewe needed folks here to help in ways you don't think of. Almost everyone that had a job helped in someway. You paid taxes that paid our wages and gave us resonably good equipment to fight with when needed. To me aslong as you were not there throwing trash and spitting on us you helped. Just my thoughts.
CD

leadman
07-07-2016, 10:42 PM
I hear the Thanks for your service frequently. I went to Korea in 1971 for 13 months, technically still at war but very few see anything close to war there. I did not but still got the same type of treatment from civilians in the States when trying to get home or to another duty station. Got bumped off many flights, had a lady request I be tossed off the plane as she did not want to fly with a soldier. Lots of bad comments.
The Thanks You brings back all of the bad treatment and separation from my new family (son was 3 weeks old when I left for Korea). The VA is big on the saying, but their actions speak differently here in Phoenix. I would rather not hear it said.

dannyd
07-07-2016, 10:45 PM
I just smile and think they would never understand how it was in the 70's. Never were uniform off base if I could help it.

w5pv
07-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Go to a local VA out post and thank them for their service they will appreciate it.

Big Boomer
07-08-2016, 11:23 PM
I never served in our armed forces due to having had polio when I was 8 or 9 years of age. I went off to college and seminary following high school and have served as a Minister with Churches of Christ/Christian Churches for 58 years, so I'm an old timer. In the early '80s I was visiting a church member at the old Mercy Hospital in Portsmouth, Ohio, and a man on crutches with an ankle and foot missing entered the room, I just assumed an amputee for some reason, perhaps diabetes. When I had an opportunity, I asked him how he lost his foot and ankle. He said a land mine in Viet Nam. I got up from where I was seated and walked around to where he was seated on his bed and asked if I could shake the hand of a man I considered a genuine hero. I told him that the idiots who treated the Viet Nam vets like trash did not speak for me. He got a bit emotional and so did I but it seemed like the only proper thing to do for those who put their lives on the line for our great country - what is left of it. The soldier boys always get my respect. Big Boomer