PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Who Shot Liberty Vance?"

Ole Joe Clarke
07-02-2016, 03:41 PM
I know some of you guys like old westerns, so I have a question for you.

In the movie "Who shot Liberty Vance," what is the guys name that played the fat sheriff? I just finished watching it, and they didn't show the credits at the end.

Thanks, and have a blessed day,

Leon

OBIII
07-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Andy Devine played the sheriff in "Who Shot Liberty Valance".
OB

JSnover
07-02-2016, 04:06 PM
That was Andy Devine playing Marshal Link Appleyard.

UKShootist
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
And a very fine film it was too, if a little bit too Hollywood for my liking.

dave524
07-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Andy Devine played the sheriff in "Who Shot Liberty Valance".
OB

I remember him playing Wild Bill Hickock's sidekick " Jingles " on TV in the 50's

edit: had a tin Wild Bill lunch box in grade school with matching thermos:D

Garyshome
07-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Now I have to go find the song.

farmerjim
07-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Now I have to go find the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pnra8Ke1So

marlin39a
07-02-2016, 04:34 PM
For info on any movie or tv show, go to. Www.imdb.com

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 04:54 PM
Great now I have the song in my head and need to watch the movie to see what I missed!

ammohead
07-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Kingman AZ has a Andy Devine Blvd. Just went through there a month or so ago. But I am pretty sure that he was Gene Autry's side kick.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys, I knew someone on this forum would know. It's John Wayne day on the AMC channel.

denul
07-02-2016, 07:35 PM
You won't find the song "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" in the movie; it was recorded by Gene Pitney, but not part of the movie. The same thing happened with "Sink the Bismarck", with a the song of the same name recorded by Johnny Horton that was not in the movie. Both songs were popular but not in the respective movies.

bubba.50
07-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Kingman AZ has a Andy Devine Blvd. Just went through there a month or so ago. But I am pretty sure that he was Gene Autry's side kick.

Pat Butram who later played Mr. Haney on Green Acres was Gene Autry's sidekick.

azrednek
07-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Pat Butram who later played Mr. Haney on Green Acres was Gene Autry's sidekick.

I've often wondered why the main drag or what was once the main drag through Kingman was named after Andy Devine. His net bio shows he was born in Flagstaff.

azrednek
07-02-2016, 09:50 PM
You won't find the song "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" in the movie; it was recorded by Gene Pitney, but not part of the movie. The same thing happened with "Sink the Bismarck", with a the song of the same name recorded by Johnny Horton that was not in the movie. Both songs were popular but not in the respective movies.

I read somewhere on the net a few years ago. The songwriter for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and the singer Gene Pitney's agent representing both demanded royalties from the movie rather than a fixed fee. The movie's producer, John Ford supposedly made a take it or leave it counter proposal demanding royalties on record sales and the agent declined. Like I said I read it on the net, so it has to be true!!

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is one of my all time favorite movies. If you can find it. Watch it on a DVD as the TV version has been cut considerably due to the long length.