PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Triangle: Ship Mysteriously Reappears 90 Years After Going Missing.

DougGuy
07-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Havana| The Cuban Coast Guard announced this morning, that they had intercepted an unmanned ship heading for the island, which is presumed to be the SS Cotopaxi, a tramp steamer which vanished in December 1925 and has since been connected to the legend of the Bermuda Triangle. The Cuban authorities spotted the ship for the first time on May 16, near a restricted military zone, west of Havana. They made many unsuccessful attempts to communicate with the crew, and finally mobilized three patrol boats to intercept it.

http://i1.wp.com/checkoutthehealthyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/bermuda-triangle-missing-ships-resurface.jpg?w=800

When they reached it, they were surprised to find that the ship was actually a nearly 100-year old steamer identified as the Cotopaxi, a name famously associated with the legend of the Bermuda Triangle. There was no one on board and the ship seemed to have been abandoned for decades, suggesting that this could actually be the tramp freighter that disappeared in 1925.

An exhaustive search of the ship led to the discovery of the captain’s logbook. It was, indeed, associated with the Clinchfield Navigation Company, the owners of the SS Cotopaxi, but hasn’t brought any clue concerning what happened to the ship over the last 90 years.

Cuban expert, Rodolfo Salvador Cruz, believes that the captain’s logbook is authentic. This document is full of precious information concerning the life of the crew before the ship’s disappearance, but the entries stop suddenly on December 1, 1925.

On 29 November 1925, the SS Cotopaxi departed Charleston, South Carolina, and headed towards Havana, Cuba. The ship had a crew of 32 men, under the command of Captain W. J. Meyer, and was carrying a cargo of 2340 tons of coal. It was reported missing two days later, and was unheard of for almost 90 years.

The Vice President of Council of Ministers, General Abelardo Colomé, announced that the Cuban authorities were going to conduct a thorough investigation to elucidate the mystery of the ship’s disappearance and reappearance.

“It is very important for us to understand what happened” says General Colomé.

“Such incidents could be really bad for our economy, so want to make sure that this kind of disappearance doesn’t happen again. The time has come to solve the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle, once and for all.”

The Bermuda Triangle is a loosely defined region covering the area between Miami, Puerto Rico and Bermuda, where dozens of ships and planes have disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

Popular culture has attributed many of the disappearances to paranormal and supernatural phenomena, or to the activity of extraterrestrial beings..

One explanation, even pins the blame on leftover technology from the mythical lost continent of Atlantis.

Despite the popularity of all these strange theories, most scientists don’t even recognize the existence of the Bermuda Triangle, and blame human mistakes and natural phenomena for the disappearances.

The mysterious reappearance of the SS Cotopaxi has, however, already generated a lot of interest in the scientific community and could push some experts to change their mind on the subject.

http://www.grazeme.com/bermuda-triangle-ship-reappears-90-years-after-going-missing/#utm_sguid=170612,bb63b235-bd39-9c12-ebec-1e07f039d301

crowbuster
07-01-2016, 11:17 PM
She's sittin high in the water. Wonder where all that coal went ?

Gliden07
07-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Unbelievable!!

M-Tecs
07-01-2016, 11:28 PM
It was Bush's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSGOldfart
07-01-2016, 11:49 PM
It was Bush's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hummmmmm I'm not buying it this time, either

Gelandangan
07-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Bull ship LOL
http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/cotopaxi.asp

DougGuy
07-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Bull ship LOL
http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/cotopaxi.asp

Haha!

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Yup a boat that old floating on the ocean would have developed enough leaks through the years that it could never be still afloat. Only way possible is if the Cuban government had it and kept it out of the water or spend a lot of money maintaining it to keep it afloat.

OS OK
07-02-2016, 07:52 AM
So is the OP just trying to pull a stunt here? This was supposed to be news in 2015.

leebuilder
07-02-2016, 07:56 AM
I find it hard to believe too, it takes effort to keep a new boat afloat. But with that said the triangle is a mysterious place.
Fair winds, and following seas.
be safe

JimB..
07-02-2016, 08:00 AM
You guys are so gullible, no way Cuba has 3 patrol boats.

runfiverun
07-02-2016, 08:56 AM
they 'finally' mobilized 3 patrol boats.
it probably took them most of the day to find an out board motor that worked.

dubber123
07-02-2016, 08:58 AM

Do so! a 14' Jon boat with a duct tape patch below the water line, a bamboo raft, and a half a 55 gallon drum with outriggers. :) They have to share 1 paddle though.

Blackwater
07-02-2016, 01:32 PM
As a one-time "deck ape" on a ship, it's amazing how much time is spent scraping and repainting those things! 100 years asea with zero maintenance? I kind'a doubt it. Ever seen some of the wrecks that were beached during WWII? They're decades younger than the aleged story here, adn just look at the skeletons that are left of them!

That's the good thing about the 'net. It keeps us skeptical and questioning .... or at least it's supposed to. I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't been fooled at least for a while by some of these type stories.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm putti'n a call through to Fox Mulder right now!

dave524
07-02-2016, 03:56 PM
In a somewhat related story , this was making the rounds a little while back. :kidding:

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/usa-mysterious-nazi-submarine-from-wwii-discovered-in-great-lakes/

Doc Highwall
07-02-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm putti'n a call through to Fox Mulder right now!

You can call Fox Mulder, but I am going to call Dana Scully.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2016, 04:38 PM
You can call Fox Mulder, but I am going to call Dana Scully.

She won't come to somethi'n like this without Fox draggi'n her along.

LakeviewBulldog
07-02-2016, 05:06 PM
One of the most interesting theories I've read regarding the triangle is that there are huge methane deposits on the ocean floor. When one of these massive deposits bubbles up underneath the ship it breaks the surface tension of the water and causes the ship to sink instantly. The ocean is a vast and terrifying place.

Outpost75
07-02-2016, 05:07 PM
I still like the alien mother ship spitting it back out theory the best.

Ole Joe Clarke
07-02-2016, 05:19 PM
It's not April 1st is it? :-)

Plate plinker
07-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Definitely was in space port for last 99 years.

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 05:52 PM

trapper9260
07-02-2016, 06:03 PM
There was one ship when I was in the navy that they use paint to keep it above the water line.and then they sold it to Turkey ,it was a AD class. So for the photo of this ship it is hard to say it last as long as it did.

PS Paul
07-03-2016, 04:16 AM
Meh. Despite the fact this story is complete bull plop, the thing with the Bermuda Triangle: considering how volatile and unpredictable the weather is AND how many boats and planes are in the area, the REAL question is, "why don't more boats and planes disappear mysteriously?".

6bg6ga
07-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Photo shop is a wonderful thing. Imagine riding that high with part of the bow missing and all of the rust holes along the side. LOL

lightman
07-03-2016, 10:37 AM
The Bermuda Triangle has an interesting history. Personally I think the methane gas theory holds about as much merit as any other. I think Myth Busters did a show about methane gas deposits and they stalled a radial aircraft engine and demonstrated how it could have sunk ships. And no, I don't think that tramp steamer has been hiding out for 90 years!

Der Gebirgsjager
07-03-2016, 11:44 AM
No, I don't believe the story exactly as presented, and don't have an explanation. Not having been a sailor myself, I have to rely on you guys who are/were, but isn't there a pretty detailed registry of ships? A positive identification of this one would seem possible. Something that I've found both interesting and upsetting over the last couple of years are reports of "ghost ships" that have been abandoned for one reason or another, usually economic, and just left floating about on the oceans. Sometimes there have been a photo or two and they didn't appear to be in bad condition at all, at least externally. It seems to me that not too long back there was a report of one that had apparently traveled 1,200 miles from it's last known location when manned, just propelled by the ocean currents. It seems such a shame that things so big that required so many man hours and materials to build would just be left to eventually sink. You'd think that someone would have an interest in them for scrap if nothing else. I guess that's why I like to rebuild old rifles........

Hardcast416taylor
07-03-2016, 11:55 AM
She's sittin high in the water. Wonder where all that coal went ?

ALF was using it to fuel the `mother` ship.Robert

Nueces
07-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I spent years flying that area for Continental Airlines and, not once, experienced anything weird. Well, sometimes the crew meals were a bit out there...

JSnover
07-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Something that I've found both interesting and upsetting over the last couple of years are reports of "ghost ships" that have been abandoned for one reason or another, usually economic, and just left floating about on the oceans. Sometimes there have been a photo or two and they didn't appear to be in bad condition at all, at least externally. It seems to me that not too long back there was a report of one that had apparently traveled 1,200 miles from it's last known location when manned, just propelled by the ocean currents. It seems such a shame that things so big that required so many man hours and materials to build would just be left to eventually sink. You'd think that someone would have an interest in them for scrap if nothing else. I guess that's why I like to rebuild old rifles........
I remember that story. Crews abandon ship because they haven't been paid, can't sell it because it isn't theirs and wouldn't have the manpower to scrap it themselves. Between drifting and sinking who-knows-where, they pose a quite a hazard to other ships.

jonp
07-03-2016, 02:46 PM
^^^ding ding ding^^^

Ithaca Gunner
07-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Take a look around the net for pics of rotting ships, I believe I've seen one very similar before rotting along a beach somewhere.

Doc Highwall
07-03-2016, 08:50 PM
I don't know about ALF, but I do know that I am a alien and that I am not a illegal alien, and I have a license to prove it.

starmac
07-04-2016, 12:20 AM
Once the life of a ship is used up it cost more to maintain and modernize than it is worth, cheaper to build a new one is some cases.

There is or could be money in scrapping them, but there is a ton of rules, at least in the USA so that very few companies will do it. I read about just the cost of cleaning them to satisfy the epa before they can be scrapped, that the owners actually lose money, so much cheaper to set them adrift and let nature handle it.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-04-2016, 04:39 AM
The cost of insurance escalates dramatically, beyond what the ship can earn, and the owners have to pay for the classification society's inspection.

Continental employed properly qualified crews on modern aircraft, properly maintained and with state of the art equipment. Their safety record is good everywhere else. But the Bermuda Triangle is a heavily used natural routeway for Caribbean countries with shoestring operations, and private pilots who don't have railway lines to follow. There is a tendency, on Caribbean vacations, for people to dine too well. Incidents have often been misrepresented, by omitting to mention cyclones or the return of ships to port. Good news doesn't sell papers, and bad papers don't have the strange obsession with telling objective truth.

Right from the days of Jim Bridger's tales and the Great Prairie Elephant there never was a country like the US for not caring whether a story is true, as long as it is exciting. It applies to other things besides politics. Maybe it is because tales of the Old West were so often told by people who, unlike official imperialists, didn't tell them in parallel to an official report for which they could be held liable. Organisations which do deal in formal evidence, however, are the US Navy, the US Coastguard and Lloyd's of London, all of which deny that any undue number of losses takes place. The last, being insurers, are sacrificing the opportunity to charge extra for it.

victorfox
07-04-2016, 02:25 PM
any chance of this ship being used by illegal aliens to reach Miami?(sorry no offense meant, just a bad joke)

shredder
07-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Hee Hee! Still nobody knows this is a fake story?

DerekP Houston
07-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Heh, my grandfather was personally responsible for dumping tons of war equipment off their merchant marine ship when it was determined the war was over. He said it was too much work and not worth the cost so they were told to just dump it and return home.

Hickok
07-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Looks like the USS Barrack Hussein Obama, docked in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Kenya.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Heh, my grandfather was personally responsible for dumping tons of war equipment off their merchant marine ship when it was determined the war was over. He said it was too much work and not worth the cost so they were told to just dump it and return home.

This picture is published sometimes in books and museums. The man in the foreground is my father, and it is usually captioned as dumping gas shells in Beaufort's Dyke, between Northern Ireland and Scotland. But it is more likely around 1948, and although there certainly were 14,500 tons of phosgene artillery rockets, I think these are shrapnel of the WW1 design, minus the dial fuse which causes them to project a mass of lead balls, like a little gun.

Beaufort's Dyke (and all the good jokes about her being a perfectly respectable woman are about used up by now) is about 900 feet deep. Some of the munitions, though probably not the gas, were dumped early, in shallower water, and one of fifty surrendered German submarines scuttled there sank under tow. About twenty years ago incendiary fillers were washed up on beaches, some capable of spontaneous smouldering, after the magnesium casings dissolved. I still have a chart a friend gave me, somewhere around 1970, when his tanker was being scrapped, and it bears warnings that underwater explosions were sometimes heard. But nobody, nor the 24in. gas pipeline to Northern Ireland, has taken any harm.