PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist paid off

starmac
06-29-2016, 12:50 PM
3 or 4 days ago my son had loaded a brand new set of tires he had ordered for his pickup to bring over and mount. He stopped at a convenience store and they were stolen.
Yesterday they were for sale on craigslist for 600 bucks which was quite a discount, so he arranged to meet the guy at a closed convenience store to look at them at 10 pm last night and got them back.

Sometimes you just have to love craigslist. lol

OS OK
06-29-2016, 12:54 PM
What's the 'rest of the story?'
Did he use Cops or a pistol or shell out another $600...
Did the thief suffer any?

shoot-n-lead
06-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Did y'all swap'em a set of bracelets for the tires?

starmac
06-29-2016, 01:33 PM
He had called the troopers earlier and asked if one could be in the area and got the spiel that he would be arrested if their was any trouble.
A trooper called him at 930 or so and said his superiors were afraid he was going to cause trouble.
My son told him that he didn't want any trouble, but was prepared and intended to get his tires back. He told him he had the money to buy them if they were not his and they could check and see if they were stolen, he had left 2 grand witha friend to bail him out if need be. He also told him that if there was any trouble that it would be on film, he had a dash cam and a camera in his sunglasses.
He also told him that his friend would stay in the pickup on the phone with another friend that was driving his pickup, to show up later as he wanted the look on the guys face when the pickup that they were stolen out of on camera.
The trooper told him to call him just before he met up and he would also stay on the phone, which probably saved the day.
The guy showed, but no tires, he told him to follow him, so they did and his friend stayed on the phone with both the trooper and the friend in his pickup. They ended up at a house and shop with 10 or 12 folks standing about outside, and more came out after he told them he would take the tires, then mentioned they were his any way. # black guys and 2 gals came out and said the law was coming and some jumped in a car and tried to leave, but his friend cut them off and blocked them. One went to a pickup and got a hand gun, but the trooper had walked up and told him he would take that, which was the only gun involved at all.

In the end the guy claimed a friend dropped them off and would split what he could get out of them if he could sell them, he showed them texts on his phone to somewhat prove his story. My son and his friends left before the trooper did, but he didn't get the impression that there would be any arrests made at the time.

osteodoc08
06-29-2016, 01:38 PM
All is well that ends well I guess. No set of tires is worth dying for, however, if we don't start standing up against criminals in general, the country will continue to decline.

What ever happened to honesty, loyalty and a hard days work for an honest day's pay? I guess that's more rhetorical and needs not answered, but still.......

mold maker
06-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Just hope there is no retaliation for the law trouble involved. Some don't take to being turned in or losing their ill-gotten gains.

dragon813gt
06-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Glad he got them back. But it was foolish to follow them into an unknown area. Thankfully nothing bad happened. But it very well could have. Always remain in a well lit public area when doing any type of FTF transaction w/ someone you don't know.

DerekP Houston
06-29-2016, 02:05 PM
That whole adventure seems so sketchy to me, I would not recommend following unknown people back to their house =/. Glad everything turned out for the best and he had the forethought to contact the authorities before shtf.

OS OK
06-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Seems that the Trooper would have had the guy at the house who either rented or owned it for 'Fencing stolen goods'.
Birds of a feather flock together, if they ran them all for warrants, prolly could have taken 1/2 of them to jail too.
Criminals have rights too! Yeah rights...they have the right to remain silent after contracting 'lead poisoning!'

starmac
06-30-2016, 04:33 AM
I sure some charges could have been found, however I doubt they even contact the guy they claimed left them there, just not the way it works around here.
Last summer when my pickup was stolen, the law kind of griped that we got it back without their help.

A pause for the COZ
06-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Brave, but stupid.. That could have ended sooo bad at the flick of a safety.
Following the guy to their lair... Oh man he got lucky.
With a different band of criminals that would have turned into a big shoot out.

I understand the sentiment. but if it happened to me. My take would have been the lesson to chain up my new tires in the back of my truck to protect against the snatch and grab. A new set of tires might be worth protecting but not worth a life to get back.

HeavyMetal
06-30-2016, 10:27 AM
All it takes for EVIL to flourish is for GOOD MEN to do nothing!

It's not the value of what was stolen, it's the principle that it shouldn't have been stolen.

Shame on the LEO's for not Taking this more seriously it sounds to me like the house was "trafficking" and Everyone on site was involved.

Then again his back up may have been an hour or more away! Still this could have been handled better by the LEO's.

I think my next call would be to my elected official at the state level and ask why thieves were on the loose but a tax payer is threatened with arrest when he can't get the time of day from the cops.

Might be more to this but sure seems it was handled wrong and questions need to be asked.

To the OP: these thieves are not done tell your son to watch his back!

RPRNY
06-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Good on him. Well done for standing up to thuggery and thievery. Pretty well managed.

OS OK
06-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Then there are those that throw in the 'if' scenario...Oh my God, what if this or that...there is no end to it. Either stand on your rights while you still have them or they will be gone soon enough.
If the Cops think it too trivial to respond according to law...contact their boss...no satisfaction yet...contact an independent press in the area get them to cover the story.
Cockroaches run when the light is on...shed some light on the situation there.

DougGuy
06-30-2016, 11:51 AM
The "thugs" were probably going to rob him once they got him to where the tires were then they would still have the tires to boot!

rancher1913
06-30-2016, 12:08 PM
now you know where the den of vipers is, to bad they can not be dispatched like the vermin they are.

jonp
06-30-2016, 12:16 PM
I certainly understand why he did it and congrats on getting the tires back but following someone to an unknown location wasnt too bright imho

WILCO
06-30-2016, 12:40 PM
3 or 4 days ago my son had loaded a brand new set of tires he had ordered for his pickup to bring over and mount. He stopped at a convenience store and they were stolen.

All could've been avoided with some common sense. Glad it turned out well enough. Hope it's a lesson learned. Life's too short for such drama and risks.

dtknowles
06-30-2016, 12:44 PM
I went back thru the thread, was the original theft reported and a police report filed. Is there security camera video of the theft, most convenience store/gas stations have pretty good coverage.

Why not just have the cops follow the lead from Craig's list and go recover the stolen merchandise and make arrest if warranted. Do you think the local law enforcement is so lame they would blow the operation?

How does someone steal something that big and valuable out of the back of your pickup truck. If I stop at a convenience store on my way back from Walmart or Home Depot with something in the back of my Truck I always have one eye on my truck while I am in the store.

I am torn between well played cowboy and what an idiot.

Tim

WILCO
06-30-2016, 12:47 PM

There's a difference between "Good Men" doing nothing and someone getting killed for a set of tires. A simple cable through the tires would've sufficed as a deterrent. I've never spent a large sum on an investment of anything, only to leave it unattended for it to be stolen later.
Like I posted earlier, glad it turned out well.

Paper Puncher
06-30-2016, 01:27 PM
I should not HAVE to use a deterrent to keep what is mine. So is it ok to steal if it isn't secured? What if you didn't use a good enough lock? Your fault? When I worked construction you couldn't lock up everything in the back of the pickup. That's one of the things wrong with our society we tolerate crime.

dragon813gt
06-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Locks keep honest people honest. Anyone in the construction industry knows this. But we also live in a society of laws. There are proper steps to take when theft is involved. If everyone went "vigilante" it would get out of hand quickly.

I am glad his son wasn't hurt. But to pretend that following an unknown person into an unknown area is safe would be extremely foolish. There are many things I'm willing to lay my life on the line for. A material possession is not one of them. No matter how sentimental it is. Remember that he already knew he was following a criminal. Is this something you would do personally or tell your child is okay to do.

The end result this time was positive. A few milliseconds could have changed that.

DCP
06-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Locks keep honest people honest. Anyone in the construction industry knows this. But we also live in a society of laws. There are proper steps to take when theft is involved. If everyone went "vigilante" it would get out of hand quickly.

I am glad his son wasn't hurt. But to pretend that following an unknown person into an unknown area is safe would be extremely foolish. There are many things I'm willing to lay my life on the line for. A material possession is not one of them. No matter how sentimental it is. Remember that he already knew he was following a criminal. Is this something you would do personally or tell your child is okay to do.

The end result this time was positive. A few milliseconds could have changed that.

:goodpost:

Plate plinker
06-30-2016, 05:57 PM
well hope the county prosecutor has some nuts and works the crooks over as hard as possible.

Maybe it will be felon in possession of a handguns?

root
06-30-2016, 07:35 PM
YIKES!

Glad ya got your stuff back seems like a mess to me.

Rich

starmac
06-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Ok to address a few things.
Yes the tires were reported at the time of theft, if you think the law gives a rip whether your tires are stolen and will expend one cent of resources to find them, you are living in an imaginery world.
Yes the store had cameras, and they showed the vehicle parked next to him, but he was one parking spot out of the cameras view.
To do what it takes to get your belongs back, is not worth it for an 1800 dollar set of tires, just exactly what in your mind would be worth it. Where do you draw the line, I don't intend for someone to keep a stick of gum if they STOLE it from me.
As far as it turning bad at the click of a safety, that works both ways.
As far as the law could have been a few minutes late, well there was OTHER backup that was there before the law anyway.
You can call it stupid if you want, I guess I raised him stupid, but to stand up for what is right, to me expecting someone else to do it for you never works, and isn't right to start with.
As far as them not being locked, if everybody would stand up for what is right, NOTHING would need a lock on it.
As far as giving the law the lead and expecting them to follow up, well lets say I have tried that 3 times in the past, in 3 different places, then still had to go get my stuff myself, once giving them a week and a half to work it out.
I have never gotten anything back that was stolen from me due to the law period, but to be fair I could have got a dirt bike back once, but would have had to drive something upwards of 100 miles to claim it, so just wrote it off.

DerekP Houston
06-30-2016, 08:38 PM
good lord truck tires are pricey! I'll agree with the law not being concerned...I couldn't even get them to show up when my window was smashed and items stolen out of the passenger side (from an unlocked door I might add....dicks). At least it worked out for the best.

leeggen
06-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Sounds to me he was raised to respect others property and he expects others to do the same. Starmac you raise a good son. He also used his head and had plan A, B and C already if needed. Glad he took back what was his.
CD

dtknowles
06-30-2016, 11:11 PM
Ok to address a few things.
Yes the tires were reported at the time of theft, if you think the law gives a rip whether your tires are stolen and will expend one cent of resources to find them, you are living in an imaginery world.
Yes the store had cameras, and they showed the vehicle parked next to him, but he was one parking spot out of the cameras view.
To do what it takes to get your belongs back, is not worth it for an 1800 dollar set of tires, just exactly what in your mind would be worth it. Where do you draw the line, I don't intend for someone to keep a stick of gum if they STOLE it from me.
As far as it turning bad at the click of a safety, that works both ways.
As far as the law could have been a few minutes late, well there was OTHER backup that was there before the law anyway.
You can call it stupid if you want, I guess I raised him stupid, but to stand up for what is right, to me expecting someone else to do it for you never works, and isn't right to start with.
As far as them not being locked, if everybody would stand up for what is right, NOTHING would need a lock on it.
As far as giving the law the lead and expecting them to follow up, well lets say I have tried that 3 times in the past, in 3 different places, then still had to go get my stuff myself, once giving them a week and a half to work it out.
I have never gotten anything back that was stolen from me due to the law period, but to be fair I could have got a dirt bike back once, but would have had to drive something upwards of 100 miles to claim it, so just wrote it off.

I had a cap and ball revolver, a gold eagle and some other stuff stolen from my house in Titusville Florida. The police recovered them and eventually busted the ring that was doing a string of burglaries. Sorry your local cops are lame, what do your cops do if it isn't investigating thefts and other crimes.

Tim

starmac
07-01-2016, 03:35 AM
Well DT I reckon you were lucky, a friend of mines business was broken into several times in Orlando, which as you know is very close to Titusville, and the police will not even take a report unless over 2500 dollars worth of merchandise or supplies are taken, no matter how much damage they did to the building to get in.

Let me think here, I had to get my own stuff back in Madisonville Texas(actually was a friends stuff) This after personally takeing the guy that had purchased part of it in, just to be told it was heresay, nothing could be done, next I took the crooks girlfriend who was with him when he stole it, yep again heresay,

Just out of Houston at LaPorte, they were just too busy for several hours while I had the place staked out, but did send an officer when I told them to forget it, I will handle it myself. That time the crooks door was locked on the inside and wouldn't answer the door, soooo nothing the officer could do, when I told him I could, he said he couldn't witness it but would drive around the block and return, for me to have him on the side walk. That one was stupid and gave him permission to search for the rest of my stuff, at which time he found more than enough drugs to charge him with distributing.
Another was at marble falls texas.
Another time I reported a stolen motorcycle in New Mexico, and told them I would purchase it and tell them what area of Arizona IF they would prosecute the thief, I bought it, the rightful owner came and got it, and that was all there was to that, except he would have liked to have had his trailer and four wheeler back too, but it would have been to much trouble to have asked the known thief where it was.

This as you can see is not just a local deal, so I would say if you got your stuf back, you were very lucky, and there is a good possibility that it was someone they were after for other stuff is the reason.

jonp
07-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Had my storage unit broken into. Stole guns, tools, etc..Never saw any of it again and I'm not sure the State Cops waisted a ton of effort in it. They most likely just waited to see if something turned up in another bust. To be fair I am almost certain I found a shotgun in a local gunshop that was mine. I called and talked to the cop and he called the store to get the person's name that left it but that was the last I heard of it. Cops in a lot of places will not investigate stolen goods much more than taking a report. They are busy with other stuff like tranny outreach, sensitivity training over illegal aliens, meeting with CAIR to discuss bias against Muslims, responding to DOJ allegations about discrimination, trying to fend off being taken over by the Feds and run like a Federal Police Force.....

OS OK
07-01-2016, 06:46 AM
We came home one evening to our front door ajar...as soon as I stepped into the front room I could feel a strange and unnerving vibe, unsettled atmosphere,(for lack of anything else to call it), the wife came in a few minutes after I cleared the house and remarked to me about the vibe also. It felt like being 'violated' somehow...having your private space pillaged, I dunnoh how to explain, but I'd like to share that feeling with the perp!
Only a color TV was gone.
I think we should tie these known thieves to a tree in the woods, dowse them with honey and leave them to their fate.
Someone says...No,no...what if he only is selling stolen goods, not actually stealing?
I think we should tie these known associates to a tree in the woods, dowse them with honey and leave them to their fate.

The little god they serve surely would come to save them...

762 shooter
07-01-2016, 08:01 AM
"To do what it takes to get your belongs back, is not worth it for an 1800 dollar set of tires, just exactly what in your mind would be worth it. Where do you draw the line, I don't intend for someone to keep a stick of gum if they STOLE it from me."

I agree. Where is your line? Does the fact that you own something mean nothing? I guess if someone wants what you got more than you, it's alright.

dtknowles
07-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Well DT I reckon you were lucky, a friend of mines business was broken into several times in Orlando, which as you know is very close to Titusville, and the police will not even take a report unless over 2500 dollars worth of merchandise or supplies are taken, no matter how much damage they did to the building to get in.

Let me think here, I had to get my own stuff back in Madisonville Texas(actually was a friends stuff) This after personally takeing the guy that had purchased part of it in, just to be told it was heresay, nothing could be done, next I took the crooks girlfriend who was with him when he stole it, yep again heresay,

Just out of Houston at LaPorte, they were just too busy for several hours while I had the place staked out, but did send an officer when I told them to forget it, I will handle it myself. That time the crooks door was locked on the inside and wouldn't answer the door, soooo nothing the officer could do, when I told him I could, he said he couldn't witness it but would drive around the block and return, for me to have him on the side walk. That one was stupid and gave him permission to search for the rest of my stuff, at which time he found more than enough drugs to charge him with distributing.
Another was at marble falls texas.
Another time I reported a stolen motorcycle in New Mexico, and told them I would purchase it and tell them what area of Arizona IF they would prosecute the thief, I bought it, the rightful owner came and got it, and that was all there was to that, except he would have liked to have had his trailer and four wheeler back too, but it would have been to much trouble to have asked the known thief where it was.

This as you can see is not just a local deal, so I would say if you got your stuf back, you were very lucky, and there is a good possibility that it was someone they were after for other stuff is the reason.

I agree with your logic, they got my stuff back because it was part of trying to bring down a ring of thefts not just mine. I think the stuff they stole from me was the break in the case as it got fenced at a local pawn shop, probably one of the crooks skimmed my stuff for his personal gain and did not put it in with the regular loot. He got ID'd by the pawn shop camera and his drivers license the items were easily identifiable as taken from our home because of serial numbers and distinctive features.

There was a ring burger zing homes in my new neighborhood and they got caught as well, the fence worked at the convenience store nearest the neighborhood, some stuff was still at the store.

I am glad your son got the tires back and glad the Cops were involved even if they did not help much, we can hope the Cops took notes and will watch the perps and maybe harass them some.

Tim

Rufus Krile
07-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Woke up one morning to note that a neat little 25hp outboard was missing off the duck boat in my driveway. I really liked that motor... Police came out (for the insurance report) and I remarked to him that I was amazed that some jerk would risk his life over a $400 motor, because he certainly had done just that. (This being in the sovereign state of Texas) The cop told me that it was obviously the work of some less-than-brilliant, career-challenged criminal wannabe that just didn't realize what was at risk in this situation. However, he said, "Last Wednesday night some mensa-candidate stole the battery out of my patrol car parked in front of MY house... and he HAD to know what was at stake." It was at that point that I really understood how far we've tipped. It's time to start decorating phone poles.

Blackwater
07-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Starmac, I think your son did very, very good, and is a man you can really be proud of. Had a friend once, and some Mexicans stole his son's dirt bike. He had a fair idea of who'd stolen it, and a general idea of where they lived. He made his report to the sheriff's office, then, that evening, went out to the general area where he thought the thieves lived, and parked on one side of the dirt road by a ditch, and got out and sat on the hood of his car. His son, with him, asked "What are we doing, Dad?" He just smiled, and said, "Listening." "For what?" asked the son. "Your motorcycle," was the reply. And sure enough, near sundown, the distinctive whine of the motorcycle was clearly heard. The got in the car and followed the sound. My friend had a .45 in a shoulder holster under his dress coat. I guess he looked like a banker or someone who wouldn't have been any threat? Anyway, he saw his son's motorcycle, and the rider was indeed a young Mexican boy. He stopped to ask a few questions of the young lad. He awed over the motorcycle and said he was thinking about getting one for his son. He said "If I give you a dollar, would you let him try it out?" The young Mexican kid said, "Sure," and took the dollar. When his son got on the bike and got it cranked, he looked at his son and said, "You know where to go with it, don't you?" The son got the message and sped off home!

Then my friend turned to the startled Mexican boy, and said, "I guess you need to be taken home, don't you?" The young lad said he did, and got in my buddy's car and showed him where to take him. On arriving, my buddy said the kid got out and ran inside, and the parents came out to see who my friend was and what he was doing there. He smiled and introduced himself, and told them that their son had been riding a stolen bike, and the bike had been stolen from him, and it was now on its way home to its rightful place. He told them that if he ever saw them or any of their friends near his house again, he'd shoot them on sight.

They believed him, and no further attempts were made on his home. You can explain right and wrong all day long, and it's likely to never make an impression. A statement of fact, like my friend laid down, was understood and heeded. It's really just that simple. It works. Moralizing doesn't. And it all boils down, really, to whether you want to be effective, or just make a show of grandiosity. The choice is up to each one of us which we really want.

snowwolfe
07-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Kudo's to your son. The only thing I would of done differently is not to involve the cops, taken some of my friends, and serve out some old fashioned *** whippin to boot.
And if that bothers some of you, tough toenails.
Cops are basically useless anymore when it comes to theft issues.

dtknowles
07-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Kudo's to your son. The only thing I would of done differently is not to involve the cops, taken some of my friends, and serve out some old fashioned *** whippin to boot.
And if that bothers some of you, tough toenails.
Cops are basically useless anymore when it comes to theft issues.

That might have worked, depends on the numbers and weapons. Once people end up in the ER or dead the Cops job becomes serious and you can't keep them out. I think the story indicated that the Crooks had guns too. Killing someone when using force to recover stolen property might or might not get a pass. Get killed when using force to try and recover stolen property might or might not send a good message if you don't mind being a martyr.

Mounting posse and vigilante justice might open a converstion worth having about the state of the nation.

Tim

popper
07-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Cops aren't worthless, just too busy picking up the pieces after something happens. And way too much happening these days. Of course liberal handcuffs on the L.E. doesn't help much. Had a case here recently where Mom got arrested for punishing her kid for stealing. Made him live in a tent in the yard during the day. I think only thing that saved her was media outcry. We got clock boy back now, to 'collect' his profits.

Blackwater
07-02-2016, 01:27 PM
These are just the type of decisions that rightfully and dutifully fall on each of us, to answer as we will, and as our best judgment indicates. Most today think there's one pat answer to every question. T'ain't always like that, though. And sometimes, a man might pursue the matter, and sometimes, if better judgment indicates it, he may go to the cops. One fellow I know decided to let the sheriff handle a situation, so he called. They said it'd be 45 min. before they could have a deputy there. He then commented, "Well, I've got a rifle and a pistol with me. I guess I'll just go ahead and handle it myself." Within less than 10 minutes 3 deputies were there! The rifle and pistol were safely in his car and he was standing outside it, grinning when they arrived. But in that case, the bad guys would have gotten away if they hadn't responded in time. The deputies resented what he'd done, of course, but they handled the situation once they were there. Mostly, they just resented the adrenaline surge when told guns were involved, and weren't told of anything else about the situation.

Judgment is the scarcest commodity around these days, but a calculated risk is always the definitive distinguisher between those who have it and those who don't. And it's also true that if you look like a sheep, you're likely to get eaten. Many, many factors involved in these things, so there's really no way we could ever come up with a single one-size-fits-all solution for any of them. It's a calculated risk, and there's simply no getting around it. Those with good instincts and judgment generally do well in them. Those with simple, pat, ready-made answers ... not so much.

Plate plinker
07-02-2016, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=popper;3696844]. Of course liberal handcuffs on the L.E. doesn't help much.

Exactly