PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights

jswaff
05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Stopped by the local u-pull it auto parts. Asked about wheel weights. The manager told me I can have all I want at $25.00 per 5 gallon bucket. I guess I will spend a Saturday pulling weights off of wrecks. Doesn't look like anyone has pulled weights on any of the vehicles.

HeavyMetal
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Good Tip!

Typecaster
05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd never thought of that as a source...

imashooter2
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
$25 and you have to pull them? Man, times are tough!

jawjaboy
05-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Gonna get tougher too Shooter. :(

imashooter2
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
It's just painful to watch it happen. :(

jswaff
05-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the pulling's going to be a pain in the a$$, but at least I can make sure there is not any zinc or steel or other junk in the bucket!

Leadforbrains
05-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't think 25.00 to pull them is way too bad. I was going to try that at huge junkyard and the people that were running it wouldn't even hardly take the time to talk to me about it. They hemmed and hawed about how they didn't know what the scrap value was and they would have to call around to find out what they were worth. I even brought my own wheel weight removal tool that my buddy that owns a tire shop gave me. I went back the next day and got the same run around. I would have paid the 25.00 to pull them because I like getting out and doing stuff like that.
At least you have a source that is willing to give them up. We all know Free would have been better, but at least you have a source. I hope you get a couple of full buckets out of that place. Maybe after you get all that they have the owners of that yard can point you to another place. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

targetshootr
05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Sounds like more work than riding around stopping at tire shops. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I pick up boolits off the berms and get some funny looks but it's fun and good exercise to boot.

:drinks:

jswaff
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get there now. My son had a vehicle accident this evening. No injuries, thank God. Going to be concentrating on repairing his truck for awhile. Once I get to the junkyard I'll let you know how it goes.

Alchemist
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Sounds like more work than riding around stopping at tire shops. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I pick up boolits off the berms and get some funny looks but it's fun and good exercise to boot.

:drinks:

Whatever works! I spent about 15 minutes downrange today and picked up about 5 #s of various boolits, j-word projos, 22s etc.....

Gave the AR a chance to cool off, and since I had the place to myself.....

I'd like to get in there with a shovel, sifter and bucket somtime...

I've also thought of the U-wrench-it junkyards, but there aren't any around here within reasonable driving distance. Any of you guys in Las Vegas tried the Pick-a-part down in Henderson?? I used to go there back when I was in the AF out there. They sure had a target rich environment for picking WWs.

Alchemist

cohutt
05-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Whatever works! I spent about 15 minutes downrange today and picked up about 5 #s of various boolits, j-word projos, 22s etc.....

Gave the AR a chance to cool off, and since I had the place to myself.....

I'd like to get in there with a shovel, sifter and bucket somtime...

Alchemist

Temptimg, yes. productive, maybe.

hell of a lot of work though. Be prepared to spend way more time and energy on every step of it than you anticipate.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/bermining007.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/bermining008.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/bermining010.jpg

NoDakJak
05-21-2008, 07:07 AM
I just spent the last week in northern Wyoming. I only managed to come home with about fifteen lbs of WW's. It seem as though most of the lead in the small shops are already spoken for by local shooters. I checked with the largest shop in the area and they quoted me $50 a bucket! Ouch! A simple glance indicated that a large portion of the contents were the dreaded zinc weights. I looked at their new weights and all except some of the smallest were apparently zinc. I reckon that I am going to be forced to start mining our local range. It is a low volume range but to my knowledge has never been mined for at least fifty years. Heck, I've fired better than a half ton into the 25 and 50 yard backstops by myself. Neil

Alchemist
05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
cohutt,

Years ago I had a very much smaller scale sifter, made from on old metal 5 gallon can. I used an Army surplus entrenching tool and that sifter to mine a range on Cape Cod (my first duty assignment in the AF). 30 minutes would get me 25 lbs or so-mostly .38 wc's (late 70's, and mostly LEOs used the range). The berm was sand, so the digging was easy. Your rig looks like it my be a little more labor intensive!! lol

Cheers :drinks:

Alchemist

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Stopped by the local u-pull it auto parts. Asked about wheel weights. The manager told me I can have all I want at $25.00 per 5 gallon bucket. I guess I will spend a Saturday pulling weights off of wrecks. Doesn't look like anyone has pulled weights on any of the vehicles.

I just walk into local tire stores and ask for them. They all have given me what they have and never charged me.

Woodsroad
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
OK, dim newbie question here:

How do you tell the Zn weights from the Pb weights?