PDA

View Full Version : Shelves for fridge?

Friends call me Pac
06-28-2016, 10:09 AM
I found this fridge on the curb last night.

A new couple had bought the house and didn't want it so they set it out as a freebie. They didn't know if it worked or not but I thought if it doesn't work I am not out of anything. I brought it home and put it in the garage. I plugged it in and it seemed to be working normally. I placed a cup of water in the freezer and this morning it was frozen hard. Looks like I have a free working fridge to store my powder in now.

The problem, if it is indeed a problem is there are no shelves. Has anyone made shelves for a fridge before. I'm thinking wood but I wanted to see if anyone out there might have a better idea.

MrWolf
06-28-2016, 10:17 AM
No idea of the opening sizes, but refurb those white wire shelves used for storage?

darkroommike
06-28-2016, 11:38 AM
My local landfill also recycles fridges (mostly for the Freon) and let me search through the shelves stacked along the wall for shelves the right size.

country gent
06-28-2016, 11:44 AM
One plus to wood would be the added "barrier " between powders on each shelf. 1" is recomended by most codes. The wire racks may need to be reinforced some to hold the weight that can be put on shelves storing powder in taller 8 lb cans. 1" ply wood or cdx could be cut to size to fit easily provide a barrier between shelves and be amply solid.

leadman
06-28-2016, 12:40 PM
If you intent to have the fridge running with powder in it you want to ensure the air can still circulate. The wood might also shrink as the moisture will be removed from if with the fridge running.
A scrap yard might be a source also for shelves.

corbinace
06-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Is there any chance that the shelves are still around at the old home? You might stop and ask.

Friends call me Pac
06-28-2016, 01:44 PM
We just got back from where we picked it up. We were told it did not have any shelves in it. My Father told me do not use wooden shelves. He said there needs to be air circulation. He was an appliance repairman for 30+ so I'going to listen to him.

I was actually wanting to use wood because of it's strength. I am worried about the wire bowing when I do get shelves.

Great ideas and I thank you.

shooterg
06-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Here, the local appliance guy has a "scrapyard" of broken down fridges. I got one of the side shelves from him when I broke one while cleaning the fridge(wife never found out !) Knowing the make of yours, you might find someone similar to find factory shelves. If you use wood, why not just drill holes for circulation / Our new fridge has solid glass sheving so they must not impact circulation too bad.

fiberoptik
06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Sidewalk shopping for old grill grills, other fridges. local dump/scrapyards work too. Could make em out of plywood with lots of breathing holes drilled in patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dverna
06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Use composite deck boards with an inch gap between them

Friends call me Pac
06-28-2016, 03:31 PM
I went to the local fix it shop. There was a nice lady helping me and she was really trying hard to find a 22" x 12" rack that would fit. She found a oven rack that was oh so close. It was maybe 1/4" off. I took it to the house to give it a try but no luck. When I went back she had some other kind of rack to try. The platform was the correct dimensions. The bottom support bars stuck out 2" from the platform. I bought them and cut the extensions off. The shelves then fit perfectly. They are very stout too and seem to be a rubber coated steel of some sort. It is a good day.

Pine Baron
06-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Well played. sir, well played indeed.

Finster101
06-28-2016, 04:35 PM
If it doesn't work it's a great place for powder and primer storage. A couple of desiccant bags and you are good to go.

bangerjim
06-28-2016, 07:28 PM
That is why FREE many times is NOT free. I have passed up lots of stuff like that because they were missing parts you probably cannot find easily.

lightman
06-28-2016, 08:17 PM
I have a dedicated beer fridge in my garage. I replaced the wire shelves with tempered glass. They are plenty strong to hold an entire shelf of bottled beer. I think it cost about $17 per shelf. If you consider doing this, measure carefully as tempered glass can not be cut and fridges are not square.

DLCTEX
06-30-2016, 10:15 PM
That one may have had glass shelves, as does mine.

dave524
07-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Depending on the age, some old fridges are not very energy efficient. Watch for an increase in your power bill, could be costing you more than you think.

Blackwater
07-01-2016, 08:33 PM
With some precision measuring and carpentry, you can make much better shelves than the originals ever could be. And for storing powder, I think I'd prefer the heavier duty self-made ones. Glues today hold up entire homes! A fridge shelf ought to be duck soup!

thegatman
07-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Peg board might work to. Reinforce the bottom with 1 X1's

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2016, 10:07 PM
I have a similar frig (no shelves) in my garage, I just use three plastic crates stacked.

leeggen
07-01-2016, 11:27 PM
I don't know how cold you plan on keeping it but be cameful as to the cold powder will draw moister when you open it in the warm room. If it were me I would only keep the temp in the upper 60's, but that is just me.
CD

44man
07-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Why powder in a fridge? Containers will sweat.

Finster101
07-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I use an old fridge that isn't plugged in. The seal on the door is what makes it work well to keep the humidity out, especially when you throw in a couple of larger desiccant bags.