PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Drying food at home

Bo1
06-28-2016, 08:08 AM
Thinking of purchasing a "Freeze Dryer" for home use. Apparently big strides have been made in the industry, and a home unit is almost affordable. Freeze drying food is fairly easy, and a good way to keep from wasting home grown veggies and fruit, not to mention everything else you might want to store in the pantry for years.

Anyone have any experience with freeze drying food, and if so, could I get some feedback.

Thanks,
Bo

rancher1913
06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
the reviews are mixed. takes longer and uses more power than they claim. if you produce your own raw product to dry you might do ok but if you are buying the raw product to dry then you would be better getting it already done from honeyville. quite a few first hand threads about these units on the prepper forums that are around. maybe in a few more years the price will be low enough to be feasible but its just not there for us yet and my wife has been looking at them pretty hard.

fiberoptik
06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Excalibur dehydrator works great for me. Lower temps longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rancher1913
06-28-2016, 04:31 PM
the excalibers work great for dried foods(wife has 4) but you can not dry meat for long term storage, thats where the freeze dryer comes in. I plan to give them another year to get any problems worked out and then might just try one. current models some have had good luck with and some have had a horrible experience.