PDA

View Full Version : worse day or at least in the top 5 of my life yesterday.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 06:56 AM
My best friend and SON, Elmer Keith had to be put down. Hes a chocolate lab and was 12 years old. His puppy pic is in my avatar. He went out for his morning duty and came back not able to breath and his tongue turning purple and fluid in his lungs. I know a lot of people think there dog is or was the best dog ever but ive had 5 dogs in my life and have been around many more and this one was truly special. He didn't have a mean bone in his body and loved everyone unconditionally. All the neighbors in the area almost adopted him. He made the rounds every day and I'm glad he got to make his last one. I'm not half the man that he was a dog. We were truly blessed the day my wife picked him out of a litter at my friends house. Even they scratched there heads at how special he turned out. If theres dogs in heaven (and I don't want to go myself unless there are) hes in a special place there. We stopped by the church on the way home from the vet and I asked God to watch him until I can pick him up again. We had him cremated and his ashes will be mixed with mine when I go. this dog was more then a friend he was my son! My heart is broken in pieces today.

KAF
06-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 07:36 AM
thank you for that. Only thing is you got tears running again in my eyes.

Handloader109
06-28-2016, 07:38 AM
We put down out last dashound last week. She was about 19,extremely old for this breed. Is never pleasant. Luckily we already had a herd of terriers to help with the grief. Be consoled that he is in a better place.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 08:06 AM
I know hes better off. He had bad arthritis and breathing difficulty's and couldn't even get into the truck anymore and it broke his heart as for years anytime I got in it he was with me. I told my wife, trying to confort her, that we are crying for ourselves not for him. He is with God and is as healthy as a pup again. I guess the emptiness in me comes kind of from the fact im not there to make sure hes ok, to protect him. I know id give up every gun and everything else I own to have him sitting next to me like he did every morning when I logged on here.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 08:10 AM

TenTea
06-28-2016, 08:15 AM
Sorry man, that is always a tough row to hoe.
I feel for you, as I've been there a couple times recently.
Never easy to bury a friend...

Lost last year: Butters the dog and Lila the cat.

MrWolf
06-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Sorry Lloyd. Can't type after readin Rainbow bridge.

OS OK
06-28-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Lloyd...You have me all 'welled up' at the moment as I remember the many losses I've suffered over a half dozen decades.
Each time, I say 'never again' as it is too painful in the parting.
As I look around at mankind who is supposedly so intelligent and so 'capable' of love...as love is supposed to be the answer...I have never met one single human being that has half the capability to give 'unconditional love' as does the dog. Yes, cats too love but are an entirely different personality.
Some will disagree but your experiencing the love that dog had for you was because you have the ability to communicate with the animal's world.
When someone says, 'my best friend'...this or that, I immediately think of one of my dogs now departed.
Dogs are truly the masters of unconditional love.

Only time will give you solace and then, you are only a 'thought' or 'reminiscence' away from from another dose of pain that you suffer now.

You have my deepest condolences and shared broken heart...Another dog will soon grace you and family as a new best friend...you need not look, as I'm sure you don't want to do...they come into our lives, they somehow find us first and we are able once again...have unconditional love once more.

charlie

44man
06-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Hurts too much to say much. Sorry my friend.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-28-2016, 10:13 AM
My sincerest sympathy for the loss of your friend. I've been there more than once. There's a big, empty hole in your heart when they leave.

Pine Baron
06-28-2016, 10:31 AM
They ask nothing and give everything. So sorry for your loss. Can't say anymore there's something in my eye.

Clay M
06-28-2016, 10:41 AM
I am sorry for your loss. My favorite dogs have been Labs. I had two great ones.
Most only live about ten or twelve years.

Yes, I do believe there are dogs and animals in heaven.
God created them to be loyal friends and companions.

square butte
06-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Lloyd, I hope he is there waitin for you when you get there

robg
06-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Its sad but my grandad said they go to the happy hunting ground .that's where I want to go too.

shooterg
06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Know the feeling. Still can't make myself get another pup. Sure am sorry Lloyd.

Not far from our place is a ornate white tombstone on a retriever's grave in his master's yard. Someone commented that it was much nicer than his deceased wife's. His reply was that you could always get another wife, but a dog like that was once in a lifetime . Don't think I'd go that far but it's close.

ArrowJ
06-28-2016, 02:37 PM
His reply was that you could always get another wife, but a dog like that was once in a lifetime . Don't think I'd go that far but it's close.

With a husband like that she may be better off.

fiberoptik
06-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Cried a week after putting down my rat. Currently have a 21 year old white cat. Gone deaf, sleeps more. Not looking forward to that day. Expecting a full house of pets upstairs including my pet gator Wally!
Heart goes out to all who've lost animal friends!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160628/25156ee9207a6cdc5290f3f7f4a38933.jpg

dverna
06-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Sorry Lloyd

i know how much it hurts. And some idiots will say, "It was only a dog".

gray wolf
06-28-2016, 05:35 PM
I am very, very, sorry to hear about your friend.

Sam

daniel lawecki
06-28-2016, 06:44 PM
As I get older the bad days seem to blend together. I guy from work who I got a for job for over 20 years ago his son died. As of late I've been too young men's funerals. Parents aren't put on this earth to bury their children. My friend from childhood put 2 Labs to sleep they were old dogs. I'm sorry for your last as I'm sorry for the lost of Gene Counterman's son.

500MAG
06-28-2016, 06:52 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Reading your post watered my eyes a bit. I have 4 dogs but there is one that truly has my heart. I almost lost her a couple years ago and gladly paid the $2500 it took to save her. I often think about the sorrow I'll feel when she is gone. God Bless and I pray for comfort for you.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
thank you everyone. I think that knowing many here who I consider friends have gone through this and actually made it gives me hope that someday soon I will be able to remember him without breaking down in tears. .

Blackwater
06-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Wow, Lloyd, I'm so sorry to hear about your Lab. They're genuinely great dogs, and I've never owned one but have loved many that belonged to friends. They're big ol' children - always wanting to play. I've been lucky enough to have 4 extreme stand-out dogs in my life, a red setter, an English setter, a Britanny and a Llewellyn setter. I had to put down the Britanny at age 17. For several days, I watched him just lay there, unable to even eat. I had to bring him his food, and he wouldn't even eat more than a nibble, or drink but a half-hearted lap or two. He'd just break out howling, screaming and yelping, and look at me with those big brown eyes of his, as if to say "What's wrong? Can't you make it go away from me?" OK. Now my eyes are welling up again! And the shock of knowing what I now had to do for him hit me like a nuclear bomb, taking my breath, and just stunning me. I didn't know if I could do it. It took another full day and a half to take him in my arms, get my wife to drive us to the vet, and have him injected and put to sleep. He died in my arms, covered with my tears. Bill was a real force of nature. Queenie, my old red setter, was run over on the highway. Bo was found by Mom, just laying there like he was sleeping. Bill I've already described, and Sugar, the Llewellyn, just laid down and died, apparently in her sleep. I think it was heartworms. Bill and Sugar are buried in a nice shady spot under a huge oak in the back yard. I will love all these dogs until the day I die, and probably long after that.

It's said that dogs don't get to enjoy eternal life because they don't have a soul. Well, that may be for those who are reading the scriptures technically and with a bit of an existentialists' eyes, but somehow, I don't think it's a coincicence that dog is "God" spelled backwards, and I don't think that God lets the kind of unconditional love that only dogs seem to have, ever could die. How it works, I'm not sure, but I'm content to leave the details up to God. Do they have their own little place? Do they live on through and in us? I don't know. I just have a sense that somehow, they're provided for in a very appropriate way by our Lord who loves us more than I suspect we have the ability to understand.

I know this, if God really wants to see me RALLY happy, let him reunite me and those 4 great dogs I've had! I would forever be in his indescribably debt! Dogs give us things that even our best frind, wife, and nobody else CAN give us. I think God has a place for them, truly.

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Ive got enough into this one to buy a good used car and would sell everything gun and car and toy I have to have him back. I would no sooner put a dog down that the only reason I wouldn't is medical costs would be to high then I would my son. I applaud you. You are the type that deserves a good dog.
I am so sorry to hear this. Reading your post watered my eyes a bit. I have 4 dogs but there is one that truly has my heart. I almost lost her a couple years ago and gladly paid the $2500 it took to save her. I often think about the sorrow I'll feel when she is gone. God Bless and I pray for comfort for you.

lightman
06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Thats a tough lick my Friend. Its never easy to loose a pet. Hang in there.

fecmech
06-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Lloyd-Like many of the previous posters I have been where you are now and I have a good idea of the pain you're feeling. Revel in the memories of your friend, dogs give us so much more than we deserve. God Bless.

HABCAN
06-28-2016, 08:20 PM
As said above we 'dog people' believe wholeheartedly there will be that meeting at Rainbow Bridge. Life without those who have gone ahead would be unbearable if I didn't have that. I'm so sorry for your loss, Sir, but just wait for the reunion!! God has promised.............!!

dragon813gt
06-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Sorry for your loss. Our GSP, Anakin, is five years old. I hate being morbid but I sometimes think about him passing away. It almost moves me to tears thinking about it. We will be devastated the day it happens. My 2yo son and Anakin are already inseparable. Hopefully he is old enough to explain death to when Anakin passes. I already know it will crush him. It's always tragic when a family loses their dog. I am truly sorry for your loss.

smokeywolf
06-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Lloyd, I am so very sorry for the loss of your family member. From your sorrow, I can tell that just as he enhanced your life, you enhanced his. He could not have had a better family.

LIMPINGJ
06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

fatelk
06-28-2016, 09:09 PM
It sounds like he was an amazing companion and friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

rugerdude
06-28-2016, 09:29 PM
You have my deepest, heartfelt sympathies.

I recently lost my "little boy" and best friend, Jasper. His picture appears under my screen name. He was 10 and, as is normal for a Dachshund, he was kind of cantankerous. To most everybody but my wife and me anyway. He bonded with me as a puppy and hardly ever let me out of his sight when I was home. The worst part is that he had never had any interest in the road in front of our house, but that day something got his attention and he went around an unfinished section of our fence and got hit. Absolutely broke my heart. For all 10 years he slept with me and my wife, sat in my lap when we watched TV and especially when I was sick, and even went on vacation with us when possible. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I did that week.

To those who have had a truly special pet, no explanation is necessary. To those that haven't had one, they just can't understand. Prayers to you.

bayjoe
06-28-2016, 10:32 PM
My deepest condolences to you with losing you beloved family member.
I truly believe they will be waiting for us faithfully when we go to heaven.
I lost my weiner dog to a rattle snake 2 weeks ago. Had him for 12 years, first dog I ever had from puppy to old dog. Cried like a baby when I buried him.171187

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 07:09 AM
my wife after reading that poem made the comment "how lonely it must be for someone who has never had a dog to love like that to show up in heaven and not have him running full bore and jumping up on you and licking you" she said "it almost makes dieing something to look forward to" Ill make you guys a deal. IF I get there first I promise your dogs will be loved until you come to pick him up from me and you do the same to old elmer. Bring some treats though because his favorite thing in the world was eating!
As said above we 'dog people' believe wholeheartedly there will be that meeting at Rainbow Bridge. Life without those who have gone ahead would be unbearable if I didn't have that. I'm so sorry for your loss, Sir, but just wait for the reunion!! God has promised.............!!

Petrol & Powder
06-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Lloyd, I've been there and it hurts. Unfortunately, people generally outlive dogs and we're often the ones left behind when they go. On the positive side, you can rest well knowing you gave him the best life possible.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 09:08 AM
heres a pic that best sums up what this dog was. Ive never seen a kinder gentler soul.

MrWolf
06-29-2016, 09:26 AM
One of the first things I am getting after my divorce and move is another dog. All the dogs since I have been married (26 years) were her choices. Still bonded with them and cried when the last one (Bowser) was put down. Same thing, looked him in the eye and kept talking to him till he was gone. Looking forward to having that special bond again. Kinda nice hearing others that feel the same way and time does numb the loss some but we will always remember the special ones.

thegatman
06-29-2016, 09:56 AM
God bless you for loving that animal. Be strong.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-29-2016, 10:21 AM
There are bad dogs just like there are bad people. The difference is that people get to hear the logic about correct behavior every day, so you can judge them on their merits. There never was a bad dog but people were at the bottom of it, by bad training or bad breeding.

We were visited last week by friends with their whippet which is old, in declining health and obviously on the way out. Our post-pubescent Irish terrier plays eagerly, and moderates his pace, for his Jack Russell friend who lost a front leg through a tumour. They don't know what a year is, and I don't believe even a working collie can count beyond five or so. If an old or sick dog isn't actually suffering physically, we have to remember that he thinks he is gong to live forever, and has none of the reason for despair a human might.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Ballistics in Scotland that's one good thing in all of this. He didn't know it was the end. he didn't have to be afraid. he left the house that morning the same way he left for 12 years. He didn't have to know hed never come back in. He made his last round of all the neighbors that love him to get his morning treats and was returning home and made it all the way to his yard before he couldn't go any further. He had a path worn between them and if I could pick a way for him to spend his last minutes that would have been it. Maybe he was just saying goodby

Freightman
06-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Hard to do it, I have had 6 dogs put down in my life, I can still see the look on each darling face 4 dachshund's 1 cocker, 1 Boston tarrier, all were special, all made me a better person. I know what you are going through. The last one I had to put down is in my Avitar, I went and got me another dog ASAP 1/2 Dachshund 1/2 Shi tzu they call them a Shiweenie . she is already my best friend and she is only 7 months old. My advice is get another I am 77 and the pup has made me at least 20 years younger. Heart felt sympathy, it is hard.

44man
06-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Sorry Lloyd

i know how much it hurts. And some idiots will say, "It was only a dog".
How that hurts me and brings tears. I am crying for my friends loss now.
My little dog is sleeping under my seat right now. Yes i am afraid of the day, don't know if i will survive. No dog will ever replace my little wonder.
i had cats I loved but a dog becomes part of your soul.
My dog is healthy and a joy but I cry just thinking of the bad day.

Clay M
06-29-2016, 11:19 AM
I understand the pain. My wife is a Vet and we had to put our last Lab down because she was so old and cripple that she couldn't get up. We sat on the ground and cried while we did it, but it had to be done.

I now have two indoor cats that I am completely bonded to.

I will be sick for a long time when they are gone.

44man
06-29-2016, 11:28 AM
As much as we love dogs and cry so much. I still have so many here that I love and pray for. You are a special bunch.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 11:37 AM
my friend I have cried more in the last 3 days then I have in my entire life. Doing better today though only 3 times so far.

44man
06-29-2016, 12:04 PM
my friend I have cried more in the last 3 days then I have in my entire life. Doing better today though only 3 times so far.
I am too, Can't stop. I know and we need a new dog but none will be the same. Still love but none will be the same. You can search the world high and low and never find the same. A dog has a personality better then a woman. You never get over it.

frank505
06-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Dogs are special to us. Mostly smarter than we are. They love us and know us better than anyone. I'm sorry Lloyd. We lost ours a month ago. Stopped at big R yesterday and couldn't go in cause that where we bought his food. We touch the box of ashes daily.

WFO2
06-29-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry for your loss I lost my best friend an English Pointer ( Rusty ) 7 years ago and have not had the heart to get another pup since. He to had a good spirit and was my companion not matter if I was hunting or at home doing chores . The day he passed broke my heart. I still have his hunting collar with the cow bell on it .It gets better I hope that it passes and you can get another pup someday .

Ballistics in Scotland
06-29-2016, 01:43 PM
I've just read in my local paper that thirty puppies have been found at the nearby ferry port in the last week or two, being smuggled from the puppy farms in Ireland. One lot of twenty made the trip in the trunk of a car, with no access by the owner for the 2½ hour trip, and some of them were judged to be only four weeks old, which is far too young to leave their mothers. Other than the cruelty I don't believe it is an offence to bring puppies from our other island, but from the Republic, which is the usual source, it is, without injections and a pet passport issued by the veterinarian. Plus they weren't microchipped, as all dogs have been required to be since April.
i
Of course they aren't specifically aiming at getting those dogs into bad homes. Some may turn out very well, as I have seen in an Arabian wild dog, now retired in Spain, which made a methodical job of becoming a model house dog. But cheap and undocumented is likely to find the bad ones. The main purpose of the pet passport is rabies, which hasn't existed in the UK (or I believe the Republic of Ireland) in many years. But there are plenty of other things they can have, besides bad feeding in vile conditions. They often inbreed far too much, or breed till the parents are too old.

There isn't much of a petshop trade in puppies nowadays. The collie I bought in one for thirty shillings in Glasgow in 1968 obeyed invisible hand signals so eagerly that a shepherd once told me "Laddie, it's pure sin for a collie like that tae be raised an amateur." Give her a hand signal anybody could see, and she would glare for a moment, saying "Are you calling me an animal?" But since I bought her as a terrier I'd hardly give them much credit for that.

At the moment the brindle French bulldog is fashionable and expensive in the UK. They suffer from a host of congenital ailments, such as airway distortion which prevents them panting enough for safety when it's hot. Breeding is frequently not only by caesarian section but by artificial insemination because the males... No, you probably don't want to know that. Lanty Hanlon's breeder is a veterinarian, and told me she knows of mainland breeders who regularly register litters of eight to ten brindle French bulldog puppies, although she doesn't believe any case of more than four is genuine. They are breeding females far later in life than the breed association permits, and are passing them off as the large litters of younger mothers.

Lanty Hanlon's breed is as healthy as a mackerel, but they used to have hard cracking of the pads which has been eliminated from breeding by Association members, by enforced genetic testing, and banning the breeding of carrier with carrier. Fake pedigrees must be letting in far worse things than cracking pads, physical or temperamental.The Irish puppy mills must have similar front men in the UK, and they are the ones we need to catch.

jaydub in wi
06-29-2016, 01:48 PM
So sorry for your loss, Lloyd. I went through that 2 years ago when we lost our 11 year old cocker. Probably the worst part was the other two dogs watching the driveway for him to return. When you are ready, you may want to get a pup. That is what got me out of my rut. I will have to deal with this again soon as my 11 year old lab's legs are starting to give out. Will say a prayer for you tonight.

dragon813gt
06-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Get another dog. The old one would not want you to be sad. A new dog will never replace the old one and they both know that. But there is always room in ones heart for another dog. Training a puppy requires your focus. And you can't help but smile when the pup does something your old one used to do.

This is how my family has always handled the loss of their dogs. I have fond memories of all of them :D

jlchucker
06-29-2016, 01:56 PM
Sorry for your loss, Lloyd. It's really hard to lose a pet. Dogs (and cats) that live with a person are special. More than just critters, they are lifetime, fast friends. Take comfort in knowing that your pup is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
frank his ashes will remain in my livingroom till the day I die then mine will be mixed with his and buried. He comes home tommarow and for some odd reason I'm even excited that hes coming home. it bothers me that he is at the crematorium. I feel almost like I abandoned him. I'm sure I will be the same with his box.
Dogs are special to us. Mostly smarter than we are. They love us and know us better than anyone. I'm sorry Lloyd. We lost ours a month ago. Stopped at big R yesterday and couldn't go in cause that where we bought his food. We touch the box of ashes daily.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
no its I that will say a prayer that your labs legs hold out a couple more years without pain and you can enjoy him.
So sorry for your loss, Lloyd. I went through that 2 years ago when we lost our 11 year old cocker. Probably the worst part was the other two dogs watching the driveway for him to return. When you are ready, you may want to get a pup. That is what got me out of my rut. I will have to deal with this again soon as my 11 year old lab's legs are starting to give out. Will say a prayer for you tonight.

jaydub in wi
06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks Lloyd. On the subject of ashes, half of our cocker and our lab mix dogs ashes will be spread at our place near Rapid River, Mi. When you saw those 2 there, they were definitely at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

buckwheatpaul
06-29-2016, 05:39 PM
Lloyd, I am so sorry for your loss of Elmer Keith. Our dogs are our children as well.....I quite often talk about Maggie, my schnauzer, is nothing but U.S.D.A. Choice Useless....but she is my joy....spoiled....and always gets her way around the house.....I kind of figure that Elmer was the same and the joy they bring is more than anyone can imagine......I am praying for you, your family, and yes Elmer....I believe that he is there awaiting our arrival......Paul

smokeywolf
06-29-2016, 08:02 PM
a dog becomes part of your soul.

Might be sacrilege, but I couldn't agree more.

shoot-n-lead
06-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Sorry to hear this...I know firsthand what a heartbreak it is to lose a dog that is dear to you.

yancey
06-29-2016, 08:34 PM
My best friend and SON, Elmer Keith had to be put down. Hes a chocolate lab and was 12 years old. His puppy pic is in my avatar. He went out for his morning duty and came back not able to breath and his tongue turning purple and fluid in his lungs. I know a lot of people think there dog is or was the best dog ever but ive had 5 dogs in my life and have been around many more and this one was truly special. He didn't have a mean bone in his body and loved everyone unconditionally. All the neighbors in the area almost adopted him. He made the rounds every day and I'm glad he got to make his last one. I'm not half the man that he was a dog. We were truly blessed the day my wife picked him out of a litter at my friends house. Even they scratched there heads at how special he turned out. If theres dogs in heaven (and I don't want to go myself unless there are) hes in a special place there. We stopped by the church on the way home from the vet and I asked God to watch him until I can pick him up again. We had him cremated and his ashes will be mixed with mine when I go. this dog was more then a friend he was my son! My heart is broken in pieces today.

Lloyd, I'm so sorry about your Lab . Just to read your post puts tears in a grown mans eye's ( That's also the way we love our dogs )

DCP
06-29-2016, 08:53 PM
The Old Man and His Dog
http://llerrah.com/oldmanandhisdog.htm

An old man and his dog were walking along a country road, enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to the man that he had died. He remembered dying, and realized, too, that the dog had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road would lead them, and continued onward.

http://llerrah.com/images/pugpaw.gif

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall, white arch that gleamed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He was pleased that he had finally arrived at heaven, and the man and his dog walked toward the gate. As he got closer, he saw someone sitting at a beautifully carved desk off to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, but is this heaven?"

"Yes, it is, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The gatekeeper gestured to his rear, and the huge gate began to open.

"I assume my friend can come in..." the man said, gesturing toward his dog.

But the reply was, "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

http://llerrah.com/images/pugfootprints.gif

The man thought about it, then thanked the gatekeeper, turned back toward the road, and continued in the direction he had been going. After another long walk, he reached the top of another long hill, and he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate. There was no fence, and it looked as if the gate had never been closed, as grass had grown up around it. As he approached the gate, he saw a man just inside, sitting in the shade of a tree reading a book. "Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a well over there," the man said, pointing to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in and make yourself at home."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"He's welcome too, and there's a bowl by the well," he said. They walked through the gate and, sure enough, there was an old-fashioned well and a bowl next to it on the ground. The man filled the bowl for his dog, and then took a long drink himself. When both were satisfied, he and the dog walked back toward the man, who was sitting under the tree waiting for them, and asked, "What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "It certainly doesn't look like heaven, and there's another man down the road who said that place was heaven."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates?"

"Yes, it was beautiful."

"Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it offend you for them to use the name of heaven like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but it actually saves us a lot of time. They screen out the people who are willing to leave their best friends behind."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/CENTER][/INDENT]
http://llerrah.com/images/pugtopsmall.jpg

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:03 AM
maybe they will be neighbors in heaven too and become friends. Elmer was drove through rapid on the way to the crematorium which is in Gladstone. I go through there probably a 50 times a year and will try to remember to think of you dogs when I go through.
Thanks Lloyd. On the subject of ashes, half of our cocker and our lab mix dogs ashes will be spread at our place near Rapid River, Mi. When you saw those 2 there, they were definitely at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:07 AM
DCP that was another beautiful thought

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:09 AM
id sure love to believe it too.
Might be sacrilege, but I couldn't agree more.

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:23 AM
I know some of you recommend another dog. My wife even said we should someday in the future because the dog we bring home might end up in a bad place if someone with less love to give ends up with it. I still think of elmers brother Harley. He went to a young couple with kids in the next town. My buddy who had the pups told me hes still alive. the last one of the litter. He said hes spent his whole life in a dog pen outside and most of his interactions with people is kids picking on him and his owner yelling at him. Funny thing is he told me hes still a very good dog and about goes nuts when someone comes and gives him a bit of attention. He lives outside even in our COLD winters in a wooden dog house with just some hay on the floor. I would like to shoot that sob! Why do people get dogs and not want them to be part of the family??? Why if they just want them penned up in the back yard don't they give them to someone else that will actually treat them like they deserve to be???

I guess my biggest problem with getting another is a new thing to me. Ive had other dogs. Good dogs but none held a candle to this one. He had a personality that was about amazing. Showed love like no other animal I ever saw. I now what your thinking. Hes just another Dog and yours was just as special and I hope it was. But this one went through a lot of bad times with me too. My 5 back surgerys and fighting for disability, my wifes struggle with pain pills and the way it about ruined our marriage, my ankle replacement and was the first dog that for most of his life I was retired and spend all day everyday with. Where I went he did too. I fear whatever dog I get now will not measure up to him and I might treat it differently because of it. He will ALLWAYS be #1 with me. He will be the first I go looking for when i cross that bridge. Like I said he was much more of a son then a dog. I don't know if that's fair to another dog.

Lloyd Smale
06-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Seems kind of on the crazy side but I'm a bit excited today. My little boy is coming home. I pick up his ashes at 10am. In a weird way it makes me feel better that hes home where I can watch over him. It hurt a lot to leave him at that crematorium. Felt kind of like I was abandoning him. Maybe in some strange way it will help me heal a bit faster.

Detroitdanm
06-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Lost my little pumpkin Lady just before Labor Day last year, but at 18 when she was just flat wore out. I dreaded the day for almost a year prior but it is the way of all living things. My condolences to you sir, it really is the loss of family. But we are blessed by the time they spend with us and it sounds like your time was exceptional.

DCP
06-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Lloyd

My Angel watches over us every day she is in a urn on the mantle.
She will be buried with me one day. She is with me every day.

MrWolf
06-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Lloyd, you said he was like a son to you. Think of getting another dog as getting another child. Each child is loved the same but differently if you know what I mean. People that can feel that way about pets should spread that love around so another pet can be treated special.

Ron

44man
06-30-2016, 12:04 PM
SOB, Why am I sitting at this stupid machine with tears?

Blackwater
06-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Lloyd, like you, I cannot stand seeing a dog abused, and cannot stand still and watch it being done. I've confronted a few guys who owned a dog and they didn't much like it. I'd say that's fair, because I absolutely despised what they were doing. Not being the kind to back away when sometimes many would say I should, I've never backed up from one of these. Mostly, they've been cowards, though, and that seems to be a pattern with people who'll abuse a dog. It's the same whether it's kids or adults doing the abusing. Just a complete lack of character and brains and upbringing. And they don't tend to stand well against someone who's not afraid of them and doesn't succumb to their attempts at intimidation. I have said things before that I meant, and probably shouldn't have. One guy threatened to shoot me once, and I told him I had my hands on my gun (hand in pocket) and he didn't, and having threatened me, I'd shoot him if he made a move towards his house. That kind'a took him aback. I told him if I ever saw him abusing those dogs again, I'd be back with the Sheriff and we'd be having a little more serious talk. I meant it, too. Not long after, he got rid of the dogs. I made it a point to drive slowly by his house thereafter, and I know he saw me do that more than once.

I had a liver spotted pointer that you really had to discipline with a heavy hand, and a red setter that you couldn't even raise your voice to very loudly. I've always used the least amount of corporal punishment on them possible to bring them into line. They're like kids. Some you can't spank at all, and some need it regularly. It's all according to their personality. There's really no "one size fits all" technique, despite what some of the idjit "child psychologists" try to claim. It's the same with dogs. Some just require corporal punishment. Most don't, in my experience, but a few do. None, though, benefit in ANY way from clearcut abuse, and it destroys some of them as useful dogs.

I'd kill as quickly to protect my dog as I would a family member. And I won't let an abuser go his way without confronting him. People who'll do that are the dregs of humanity!

DCP
06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
SOB, Why am I sitting at this stupid machine with tears?

Why

Your a REAL man.

pmer
06-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2016, 07:04 AM
amen to that.
Why

Your a REAL man.

Lloyd Smale
07-01-2016, 07:06 AM
well hes home and sitting on his dog bed where his ashes will remain till I die. Hopefully some day soon I will be able to look over there and smile instead of tearing up. thanks for all the caring and support. It makes me proud to be a part of something with such good people.

Ithaca Gunner
07-01-2016, 10:27 AM
LLoyd, the Lord has seen fit to take many a good dog from me to I hope surround his thrown until I get there. It's been said that if any animal is worthy of a soul, it's a dog. And rightfully so. God gave us dogs to share our lives with, and maybe their lives are so short so we can share them with more dogs.

I don't know your age or health, but before you say you'll never share your life with another dog, think of this, A Dog's Last Will And Testament.

https://youtu.be/tWWgU7zjswM

Blackwater
07-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Wow, IG! What a powerful video. My alergies have my eyes tearing up all the time, but I seem to have had a sudden and vicious attack of them while listening to that one. And that's exactly what my best dogs would say, too. It's just what was in them to have said, if they could. Thanks.

Lance Boyle
07-01-2016, 05:29 PM
My condolences. I still get misty eyed when I think of Chester our yellow lab. I have his likeness on the wall that my mom painted of him when he was a pup.

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2016, 07:26 AM
yup you got me teared up again too. I know that's the way I should be looking at this. I wish I was strong enough to let that sink in. I gave though to the pound and an older dog but my mind in pain right now just says its going to happen again that much sooner. I just wish I wasn't so weak.
LLoyd, the Lord has seen fit to take many a good dog from me to I hope surround his thrown until I get there. It's been said that if any animal is worthy of a soul, it's a dog. And rightfully so. God gave us dogs to share our lives with, and maybe their lives are so short so we can share them with more dogs.

I don't know your age or health, but before you say you'll never share your life with another dog, think of this, A Dog's Last Will And Testament.

https://youtu.be/tWWgU7zjswM

44man
07-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Get another my friend, you will never be whole without. Get a pup so you will be together longer.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2016, 10:24 AM
You are strong, Lloyd. You're in mourning right now, as you should be for Elmer. It'll take some time, and when the time is right a Skeeter Skelton, or Charlie Atkins will come along and you'll both know you're right for one another and live a good life together.

I have a home for five dogs here, and love each and every one of em. They're all getting old like me and I expect to loose one or two at anytime now, the oldest is now 14 and the best behaved dog I ever had. She walks silently and reverently along side me every November when I remove the flags from the graves of comrades for the winter and goes along when we deliver some of those flags to the widows who want them. I took her from a young punk who abused her and gave her a good life here in the country. Two of the others are rescue dogs, dogs that would have gone to a shelter had we not taken them in. One, a Blue Koolie runs around here so happy you'd swear she's nuts! Another, a small mutt, was just supposed to be here to find a forever home, I guess she found it, she's been here over five years now, (never thought I'd like a small dog, but things change). The other two I bought, one a hunti'n buddy, the other a birthday gift for the wife and the best ball player we ever had! They all share the house and our lives. Things wouldn't be right without em!

It's only right and fitting that you grieve for Elmer, it has nothing to do with strength or weakness, it's just the proper thing to do. Once your heart heals, I hope you'll open it to another dog who'll also wound your heart someday. They do that, and it can't be any other way. I know my time draws near, but I'll have dogs until that time comes, and when it comes, I expect my grandson to move in here, take care of the wife and dogs...and guns.

Take your time grieving for Elmer, but keep an open heart, there's a dog out there that needs you, Lloyd.

fatnhappy
07-02-2016, 11:30 AM

I'm sorry Lloyd. I understand all too well.

9w1911
07-02-2016, 05:48 PM
You replace him yet Lloyd? I wont go a day without a dog, if my two old ones were to pass, I have their great great granddaughter and soon to get her brother, however I would also go down and adopt from the pound that same day. I feel that I need to keep moving, and what helped me get past my best friend Arrow passing was the fact I had to still care for his son and old lady. His son was young at the time, now he is 11 and I am thankful of each day we have.

Blackwater
07-02-2016, 06:21 PM
The great dogs we have can NEVER be replaced, but they CAN be added to, and I can't conceive of not having a dog with me. They're all different, but each has its own charms. I've only had one "bad" dog, and that was a litter mate to my wonderful red setter, Queenie. We naked her "Ladybird" because she was about .... well, let's just say her chief talent was eating biscuits, and having puppies. 3 of her litter pointed before they were 3 months old, though! I'll never understand breeding dogs. Good ones come from "bad" parents, and visa-versa. But we kept Ladybird, until she got run over, as did Queenie. I still miss queenie, and it's been nearly 50 years now since she died. Like our parents, and a few very, very close relatives, they become an integral part of us.

Lloyd, don't feel like you're dishonoring his memory if you get another dog. You know darn well he'd want you to be happy and well attended by another dog if he could be with you now, and tell you this. His whole life tells this to you, doesn't it? When you feel you can, find another, but don't be in a hurry. Just look for that "special" one that "talks" to you. Chances are, it'll be your old dog's spirit directing you to the new one.

Nueces
07-02-2016, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry, Lloyd. There are no real limits on love for a sweet pup, nor expressions thereof.

Markbo
07-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I am sorry for your loss Lloyd. Funny how dogs can take such strong hold of our hearts. Especially after the kids are gone. I lost my job because of it this year. My old pal Einstein died one evening so I called my boss and told him I wouldnt be fit for work the next day. I didnt go. The day after that I slept in...didnt want to get out of bed. Called my boss around 10 and told him I wasnt coming in and didt know about the next day.

His boss called me the next morning and let me go for not showing up to work for 3 days. Hang in there buddy.

44man
07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
i could not live a day without a dog. Not going to happen.

Lloyd Smale
07-04-2016, 07:00 AM
I kind of had an epiphany in church on suday. I was listening to the priest and thinking about elmer and it just so happened the priest mentioned kids this forth that will not be having a good time. His example were kids in hospitals with cancer that would never come home. I thought to myself what better purpose a great dog like him could do then to take one of those little children in heaven waiting for there parents and love them like he loved me until there parents come and meet them. I told him I had to let him go. At least till we meet again when and if I get there.

DCP
07-04-2016, 07:42 AM
I kind of had an epiphany in church on suday. I was listening to the priest and thinking about elmer and it just so happened the priest mentioned kids this forth that will not be having a good time. His example were kids in hospitals with cancer that would never come home. I thought to myself what better purpose a great dog like him could do then to take one of those little children in heaven waiting for there parents and love them like he loved me until there parents come and meet them. I told him I had to let him go. At least till we meet again when and if I get there.

Amen Amen Amen

Re read post 84 some good words there

TXGunNut
07-04-2016, 10:07 AM
It's tough to lose a truly special dog. I hope you'll have the courage to let another pup into your life. It'll never be another Elmer but will likely be special in it's own way.

9w1911
07-04-2016, 04:42 PM
I am about to pick up my fourth malamute, the brother of a sister I currently have, and the great great grandson and great great nephew of my 12yo and 11yo malamutes. All from my female and past male, his woman and son are still here yet he is gone, however I see him everyday in his son. When he passed away he looked at me and said you've got your hands full take care of my son. Now time has past, and I have his great great grand kids, they are just as much fun and trouble as he was, as much as I miss him, he is with me everyday.

jonp
07-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Sorry to hear about that, lloyd.

Markbo
07-04-2016, 11:48 PM
And God said "Let there be Dog"
...and there was Dog.

God saw that Dog was good
And said

"Who's a good Dog!?"
And it was Dog. Yes it was. A good Dog

DCP
07-05-2016, 07:38 AM
So GOD made a Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWHLdHroyQ

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2016, 07:14 AM
that was cool too!
So GOD made a Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWHLdHroyQ

Petrol & Powder
07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
LLoyd, I lost one about 6 weeks ago and just left the vet after putting the other one down. It is an extremely difficult thing to do and it isn't the first time I've had to do it.
It was time and she was suffering. She stopped eating a week ago and the vet said it was cancer. I know I did the right thing but that knowledge doesn't relieve the pain.

HABCAN
07-12-2016, 03:24 PM
“A Special Prayer
From A Dog To His Master”

Written by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I
should lick your hand between the blows, your patience

and understanding will more quickly teach me the things
you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.