PDA

View Full Version : Mold Help

aquarist
06-27-2016, 01:11 PM
I've saved up enough to afford a nice NOE mold for my new 300blk AR. When I was in the middle of the build process I did purchase some test projectiles from various members here and a local gun forum. Having shot most of my test projectiles it is now time to pony up and buy that mold!!! But I've a few questions before I order, given the price of these molds I want to make sure I get the right one the first time around.

I did get in some of the NOE 311-247-fn WHISPR projectiles, but ran into issues with them feeding from my magazines reliably, it seemed if I had more than a couple rounds in the magazine it would bind up, I tried different OALs but continued to have the same issue. When I shortened up some of the test rounds I found that they would not longer feed from the magazine unless they were on the left side of the magazine, the rounds from the right side would bind up on the feed ramp and leave a decent gash in the lead projectile.

Having had that problem with the 247 grain projectiles I started looking at the NOE website for alternatives and found the 311-230-fn BLKOUT mold (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_333&osCsid=2ktgg8hgo0170gqn4f025v3634) this seems like it's a slimmer projectile and may work better in an AR style rifle, and being fed via a magazine. I plan on using Troy Battle Magazines if that matters at all, I have a large number of those already. Would prefer not to have to buy additional magazines if that can be avoided. Just hoping for some feed back on this mold, on if it will function reliably on the AR platform with no feeding issues, or issues binding in the magazine. All help is greatly appreciated having only bought Lee molds in the past this is a big leap forward in price, so hoping to get the correct mold for my needs, even if that means it isn't an NOE mold.

I'll post some pictures of what the projectiles look like after they fail to chamber/feed and I have to force them to extract.

popper
06-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Mag binding is due to mag ribs, they can be sanded down. Feed issue are also related to the mags.

country gent
06-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Several things can have an effect with your problem. Lips on mags may need to be slightly "adjusted" to get proper alighnment with the chamber. Also where the rounds sits front to back in the mag may be an issue at times A shorter round may need a spacer rail in the back of the mag to keep it forward placement where it needs to be. Mag spring tension can play a part here if it dosnt get the round located in the mags feed rails correctly. The mags follower may not be "stacking the cartridges the way it should. I agree you have a mag problem or at least some issues with them and this bullet combination. Something to think about. A form can be made to fit in the magazine box snugly and the top formed to help with Adjusting the rails the same.

Moonie
06-28-2016, 03:34 PM
I use Lancer for all my 300's, long and short. I have the Accurate Molds version of the 245/247, with PMAGs I had issues feeding and binding until I shaved them down, never with the lancers. The PMAGs sit unused in a drawer.

aquarist
07-08-2016, 09:03 AM
I went ahead an ordered the NOE 311-230-FN BLKOUT mold during the 20% off sale. Got it in the mail yesterday and was able to cast up some testers. By visual comparison it looks like the 230s will feed much better than the 247 in my semi-auto. Hoping to load up a few blanks for testing this afternoon.

230 grain projectile on the left, with a 311-247-fn WHISPER on the right.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160708/cd40df58ad325a3a6263fe856ceda186.jpg

Echo
07-08-2016, 02:37 PM
What load are you using? My son has a 300BLK, and I would like to cast for him...

aquarist
07-08-2016, 03:57 PM
I'll be loading up subsonic starting around 8.5 grains of 1680. Will work my way up/down till I find something accurate for plinking.