PDA

View Full Version : thanks guys, and 32-170-fn

compass will
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
It all started with my thread about the 32 winchester special back around Christmas. thanks for the education! I just received my 32-170-FN and started casting with it. (I have been doing 255 45's in a lee 6 hole mold).

It was tough getting total fill and square bases at first, but I got the hang of it.
Steel mold seems to be more forgiving and I did not have any frosting running 700deg pot temps.

I also picked up that tiny Lee ladle, I can't seem to get the hang of it. I think out of 50 tries I got 2 boolits. it just would not fill out the base square. So I continued to cast with the bottom feeder. I had to quit to help my Daughter but I got 50 good ones.

Later I went to the sizer. They are .323 out of the mold with straight WW. Added gas check, and sized to .321. I saved the data from the samples Sundog sent me so after I cast a couple more I will start reloading. I could not get the "non gas checked" I was shooting to move fast enough to make them shoot better then a shotgun. :Fire: I think they are heading for the melting pot!

My first Lever Action match with my own cast 255 lee boolits I got first in the A class with a 26, including 10 pigs in a row. (the match before that I got a 23, including 10 pigs in a row.) So far I am up to 20 pigs in a row with the Puma 92 in 45 colt with stock sights!

Anyway, Thanks for the help! I will have many more questions once I get the 22-250 up and casting for the cast boolit matches.

pumpguy
05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Try a Lyman or RCBS ladle. Much better than that tablespoon *** from Lee.

DonH
05-20-2008, 06:10 AM
RCBS ladle, consistent level of alloy in ladle from cast to cast and try holding the ladle spout to the pour hole for a count of three (or so) then let alloy form a "puddle" as you take the ladle away. This routine gives me very consistent results with .30 and .32 bullets (and all others). Preheat the mould before starting and esp. the sspsrue plate. I dip the "handle" of the plate in the melt for a few seconds before beginning to pour bullets.