PDA

View Full Version : 45 Acp Swc

ddeaton
05-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I just loaded up 50

185 gr cast semi wad cutter
4.4 gr Bullseye

This is my first time loading semi wad cutters. I seated these just a tad above the case with a little crimp. I used Vance boolits, dont know what mold this is, and this turned out a 1.25" COAL. I am going to run them through my Glock 21 using a aftermarket rifled barrel. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I have been running 4.5 gr Bullseye with my 230 gr round nose. I had a hard time going through all the books finding the data for the SWC. A lot of conflicting data.

gcf
05-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I just loaded up 50

4.4 gr Bullseye

... I am going to run them through my Glock 21. Anyone see anything wrong with this? ....

I was under the impression that cast bullets should not be fired in a factory Glock barrel.

Ben
05-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm with GCF ! !

If that is a factory GLOCK barrel, you're flirting with a disaster shooting cast bullets.

Ben

ddeaton
05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Wow, I musta hit a sore spot. Slow down fellas. I am shooting through a aftermarket rifled barrel. Thats all I use in my Glocks. Although I have been known to walk on the dark side.

Sig shooter
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I just loaded up 50

4.4 gr Bullseye

This is my first time loading semi wad cutters.

I have a lighter spring to shoot sub 4gr loads . You "can" increase the charge as a bullet gets lighter . Sound like a workable target load .

I love the 185 JHP Zero bullets that are hard to come by these days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Helitech/KFD_2601.jpg

wiljen
05-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Sounds pretty mild to me. I've been using 5.0gr behind a 230gr (Lyman 452374) for about 800fps.

gasboffer
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm puzzled by the replies stating that lead bullets should not be fired in a Glock factory barrel. The original post plainly states that he was going to be using an aftermarket rifled barrel.
In any case, I have fired thousands of cast bullets through a Glock 17 and also Glock 26 with factory barrels. No problems!
Glock doesn't say do not use cast bullets in their guns, they say "Do not use reloads".
You guys need to read the posts a little more closely before voicing your second hand opinions!
Clyde

trickyasafox
05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I've never used the 185gr LSWC but I use the 200gr- My experience has been that glocks are not as sensative to OAL as 1911s- your load I would think is fine :)

seeing as how it came up, I shoot lead in stock glocks too- 9mm,40sw, and 45acp.

scrapcan
05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
ddeaton,

Are your loaded rounds feeding ok? I have not loaded the 45acop for a glock or an xd so cannot really comment on proper seating depth. I have loaded a bunch of swc for the 1911a1 platform with gi spec chamber and feed ramp. There is a good discussion of seating depth/overall length of swc for the 1911a1 platform in the jerry kuhnausen manual. I posted it on the forum in the past, I don't have the book at hand. if you want someone to look it up just holler.

gcf
05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
... The original post plainly states that he was going to be using an aftermarket rifled barrel.

...You guys need to read the posts a little more closely before voicing your second hand opinions!
Clyde

No need to get nasty. I could be wrong, but I think the aftermarket barrel thing was edited in this morning - after the fact.

Ben
05-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Clyde :

For whatever it is worth to you, I did read his post, my remarks weren't a second hand opinion. His post was edited this morning at 7:59 a.m.

When a Glock fires and it isn't in battery, ALL HELL will break lose. That's no " 2nd Hand Opinion." Call Glock and see what they say !

Ben

AnthonyB
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I've posted several times about my Glock 30 and cast boolits; they are all I've ever fired in it and have never had any problem at all. I'd be more worried about a 9mm or 40 S&W because of their higher operating pressures. Tony

armexman
05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Bought a Glock 17 in April 1989; and have been firing 90% cast boolits since then, this was the pistol that started me casting Pb. So yes please be careful about repeating the tale. I have 2 other glocks and they are fed cast boolits with no problems,40SWand 45ACP. All have eaten 1000's and 1000's. I am to resistant to buying a new after-market barrels as I've not had problems. Mis dos centavos.Gracias, I believe that this info may help newbies start casting with a little more care and consideration of the fact that casting is not just for saving money, but a learning process were we as adults tread lightly and concientiuosly through a craft that can bring MUCH knowledge.Make that cuatro centavos. Y otra ves Gracias.

Ben
05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll be glad to be careful about " repeating the tale ", but it is going to be hard to get everyone else to be quiet about the issue :

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=324233&page=6

http://www.policeandsecuritynews.com/MayJun04/WhyGunsBlowUp.htm

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.guns/2007-05/msg01230.html

The list goes on and on................

If you own a Glock and want to shoot cast bullets in it, that
is great. I don't own a Glock and probably won't ever own one.

Ben

ddeaton
05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
ddeaton,

Are your loaded rounds feeding ok? I have not loaded the 45acop for a glock or an xd so cannot really comment on proper seating depth. I have loaded a bunch of swc for the 1911a1 platform with gi spec chamber and feed ramp. There is a good discussion of seating depth/overall length of swc for the 1911a1 platform in the jerry kuhnausen manual. I posted it on the forum in the past, I don't have the book at hand. if you want someone to look it up just holler.

I dont know yet, just loaded 50 to try. Havent made it to the range yet, been raining, will try tomorrow and will post results.

ddeaton
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM
didnt mean to start a battle guys, sorry. I did edit my post after the fact just to clarify. At least I stirred up some good replies. I will post results after range trip.
Thanks,
Danny

wonderwolf
05-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I've never shot lead through a glock though so long as the OAL was ok I don't see a problem. I've heard of 100's of people shooting lead with not one single problem and others who have just started reloading...and with lead at first and damage the gun...we'll they ran before they really know how to walk and do not know how to diagnose a gun kaboom. They need to read up on Julian Hatcher thats for sure :Fire:

ddeaton
05-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I've never shot lead through a glock though so long as the OAL was ok I don't see a problem. I've heard of 100's of people shooting lead with not one single problem and others who have just started reloading...and with lead at first and damage the gun...we'll they ran before they really know how to walk and do not know how to diagnose a gun kaboom. They need to read up on Julian Hatcher thats for sure :Fire:

Yes, I am am not worried about the lead at all. My worries are OAL, as I have never reloaded or shot semi wadcutters through my Glocks or 1911s. I will see how these feed and go from there.

ddeaton
05-21-2008, 09:41 PM
went to the range today and these shot fine. no misfeeds at all. I think I will get a lighter spring though, brass hits me right on top the head.

Ricochet
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
I just put on a hat. :mrgreen:

Took my kids and some of their friends shooting yesterday. One lovely young lady learned why it's best not to wear a low cut blouse to shoot autoloading pistols. Man, she's a deadeye with my old Colt Official Police .38 revolver shooting double action, after I just told her the trick of finding the point just before the trigger releases and taking a final aim.

ddeaton
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
I did wear a hat tonight, helped. I think I might raise the load 1 gr, although it was quite nice to shoot. Man, Bullseye is dirty!

Ricochet
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Most of my .45 loading's been with the heavier boolits around 230 grains, but between 4.5-5.0 grains is likely to be a good shooting range.

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2008, 07:17 AM
dont know much about what runs well in glocks but theres nothing wrong with cast in them or even reloads. You just need to be careful as they dont take to overloading well. My partner at work has run probably 10000 of my cast reloads through his glock 10mm with a factory barrel and claims there the most accurate load hes ever shot in his gun.

seabreeze133
07-27-2008, 01:36 AM
7 gr Unique, WLP, most anycase, H & G type 200 gr SWC. Shoots better than I can hold in every 1911 I tried. 950 fps.

Which is why I don't shoot lite loads in my SBH.

:o)

Don

BTW, kinda dirty but that's what Hoppes is for.

robertbank
07-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Much has been said about lead in Glocks with most of the comments directed at polygonial rifling and the fact the Glock barrels are/were not fully supporting the cartridge.

I have a Tanfoglio with 9MM and .40cal top ends. The latter has a polygonial barrel. After some 4,000 rds through the barel nary a sign of leading. Folks it is a myth. Polygonial rifling and lead go together like ketchup and french fries.

There are some fellows on this forum whom I respect for their candid opinion and experience. They don't talk about what they have read but speak from their experiences. They own Glocks, have shot lead bullets for years with nary a problem. They all report they clean their guns after going to the range. Yup, actually clean their Glocks. Connection? I don't know. What I do know is when you shoot lead you often end up with a pretty dirty gun. After several trips to the range with a gun that has not been cleaned you get really dirty chambers. Cartridges begin to have problems chambering. Stuck case, gun with an ability to set off a cartridge when gun is out of battery = kaboom.

Just my take

Take Care

Bob

Beaverhunter2
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Interesting post and the links included about Glocks give access to a lot more info. Thanks, guys!

About 10 years ago, I was trying to decide between a Glock 21 and an HK USP45. My final decision was made based on what felt better in my hand and that fact that one was rated for +P ammo and the other wasn't. I had a few failure to feed issues with my USP when using Remington 185gr JHPs. I sent the pistol to H&K, they polished the feed ramp just a bit, and sent it back overnight for free. I haven't had a failure since.

Reading about the "unsupported area"in the Glocks, I'm glad I bought the USP. Now I know why the USP can swallow +Ps and the Glock can't. Other than some 230gr Hydrashocks I use for carry purposes, I haven't put a factory round through that pistol in 9 years. Thousands of rounds and never a hiccup.

I'm starting to load cast for it so hopefully the record continues.

Three, No- four questions:

Why would anyone design a gun that has a portion of the cartridge case unsupported on firing? :confused:

Why would anyone design a gun that can fire out of battery? :veryconfu

Can you imagine what would happen it that occurred with a .30-06? :eek:

Why would some of these guys in the other threads (especially LEOs!) go a year or more without cleaning their guns? One knucklehead said he went eighteen months including 5 mandatory practice sessions before getting popped on an inspection. He's lucky-that inspector may have saved his life.

I love (and occasionally clean) my USP!

John

Murphy
07-27-2008, 05:47 PM
ddeaton,

Bullseye has always been dirty, but it's been a standard for years. I've been working with Titegroup lately and really haven't had time to form an opinion on it in .45ACP in an automatic.

I know you're looking for info with a 185 grain boolit, but should you decide to try a different boolit in SWC configuration, you may want to try LEE's 200 Gr SWC. I've shot tons of them loaded over 4.5 Grains of Bullseye with just about any combination of case & primer. It's been a shooter in every single 1911 I've ever shot it through.

Best of luck,

Murphy

robertbank
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
"Why would anyone design a gun that has a portion of the cartridge case unsupported on firing? :confused:"

John Browning did with the 1911 and that design seems to have weathered the test of time.

"Why would anyone design a gun that can fire out of battery? :veryconfu"

Not sure it was designed to do so but Glocks will as will the M14, and the SKS to name but two.

"Can you imagine what would happen it that occurred with a .30-06? :eek:"

Just about any semi auto rifle will if the firing pin is not restrained with a spring under the right circumstances. Not pretty.

"Why would some of these guys in the other threads (especially LEOs!) go a year or more without cleaning their guns? One knucklehead said he went eighteen months including 5 mandatory practice sessions before getting popped on an inspection. He's lucky-that inspector may have saved his life."

There is a long held belief that Glocks just don't need cleaning. Dumb but widely held as a truism. Migh go a long way to explain the odd kaboom in the Glock 40 cals.

Take Care

Bob