PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Swaged Bullets

Gene Perryman
06-24-2016, 09:44 AM
A few years back Hornady stopped coating their lead bullets in LA and started using some kind of powder lube.They will not shoot in my guns w/o leading. I had to resort to coating them in LLA to get 'em to shoot in my guns...........Has anyone else had this problem ??

oldcanadice
06-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Yes. The LLA made them shoot clean.

Gene Perryman
06-24-2016, 10:27 AM
You know having to coat 'em is a lot of extra work and time................

mdi
06-24-2016, 11:43 AM
I haven't used swaged lead bullets in a very long time, but I remember pan lubing some Hornady bullets (IIRC, I used paraffin, vaseline, and ATF mix). Pan lubed just like a standard lube groove bullet, cookie cutter style. I tried alox too, with success, and that was waaay pre-45-45-10. From what I remember, it worked OK, but I soon started using cast bullets and eventually started casting my own...

I've always figgered there is no wasted time when I'm working on a hobby project. Sure, there was a lot of labor involved and time spent, but it was my hobby, and I'm not in it to save money nor time. If I got all my "work" done in 1/2 hour, then what would I do? Watch TV?;)

runfiverun
06-24-2016, 02:23 PM
adding a coat of lube to 500 or so boolits takes like an hour at most.
add some mineral spirits.

heat the lube in some warm water, and heat the boolits with a hair dryer coat and set them in front of a fan to cool.
I use 45/45/10 lube and by the time they have cooled off they are dry.

williamwaco
06-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Never tried Hornady but I have shot a LOT of Speer .38 Swaged 148gr Wadcutters. They have some sort of dry lube and I have never experienced any eading with them.

fecmech
06-24-2016, 03:59 PM
I had 2 experiences with the honady swaged swc's and in both instances the bullet was undersize until about halfway up from the base. Bottom of the bullet was .354 and only got to .357 at the top of the bearing surface. I sent them back as undersize and the replacements weren't much better. When loading they would drop halfway into a sized and expanded case. I could push them into the case with my finger. To get rid of them I bumped them up in my Lyman 4500 with a .358 size die. They then shot fairly well and did not lead with the original dry lube once they were resized. I had bought them to try before buying the NOE BRP hornady clone mold which BTW shoots great.

Guesser
06-24-2016, 08:59 PM
I use Hornady and Remington 148 gr. HBWC over 2.7 gr. B'eye for 3 different Colt Officers Models and have never had a leading problem. I use the 32 cal. 90 gr. HBWC from Hornady in several 32 Long revolvers, never had any leading from them.....too.

Hick
06-24-2016, 09:32 PM
I use them all the time, 140 grain Cowboy, 158 grain SWC and 148 gr wadcutters in my 38 Special-- no problems