PDA

View Full Version : Latest Phising scheme!

DCM
06-24-2016, 04:35 AM
They send you a text message asking "who is this?" trying to get more of your personal info to match with your phone # for identity/credit theft.

JSnover
06-24-2016, 05:11 AM
Reminds of the random phone calls I would get back in the pre-cellphones era.
Unknown caller: "Who is this?"
Me: "You called me, don't you know?"
Unknown caller: "I'm looking for Jim." (Or several other names with the same initial as mine)
"Jim Who?"
"Uh, Jim Simpson" (again, right initials but they didn't know my full name)
"Leave your name and number and I'll see if the police can find him for you."
<click>

bedbugbilly
06-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Reminds me of a text I got a short while ago (and I'm not a great "texter" - I still use a "flip dumb phone"). The text I received was "who is this?". My reply was simply "??". I then received a call from the same number . . . "who is this?". My reply . . . . "The Police Department". Funny how fast they hung up!

Rufus Krile
06-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Got a call today from "The IRS" along the lines of 'pay us or go to jail' and knew what was going on immediately. Fun to be had here....

I asked "Irene" how much I owed and was told it was $2436 and I better get it to them right away... Told her I didn't have that much and would she, sort of, lose my file if I gave HER half. While she was considering this, I told her that I just needed some banking information from her and I'd send her $1200... I interrupted her stuttering by asking her what she was wearing and if she ever felt naughty... You really can have fun with these sleazers if you try.

funnyjim014
06-24-2016, 03:06 PM
I seem to win a free cruise every other week. The wife played along once for 15 min before they gave up.she asked if he would want to go with her and he said he had to work that day lol

dave524
06-24-2016, 05:00 PM
I get a daily call from " Air Duct Cleaning Services " always a guy with an Anglo name but a thick Asian accent and weekly get Windows Technical Dept. calling with some BS about them seeing errors on my computer.

maxreloader
06-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Vanna can I have another "h" in the title please :Fire:

Smoke4320
06-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Had One (indian /pak sounding) call me to settle on an American Express card .. He was willing to take $1200.00 to settle ..Funny thing is I don't have an amex card.. So I played around as well..

Cowboy_Dan
06-25-2016, 12:08 AM
One day a couple of years ago when I worked at the Service Desk at a big box store a fax came in. Funny, I thought, we've never recieved a fax, that machine is just for sending. So I started reading it to see who should get it. The guy claimed to be a Russian oil baron who was facing some sort of charges and he needed to hide some money. I don't remember the whole story, but it filled a page in about 8 pt type. I remember wondering how a Russian would even be aware of our company (Meijer) which only exists in the Midwest, and who would be dumb enough to believe that this "guy" would want to deal at store level rather than corporate.

w5pv
06-25-2016, 07:10 AM
The best thing to do is change your pass word where they cannot get into your account,I had this guy in SC try to get into my account and get things but when the pass word was changed he/she went away.

imashooter2
06-25-2016, 07:57 AM
For the home phone, I like to interrupt them and say "hold on a second," then I put the phone down and go about my business. I hang it up again when I hear the off the hook warble. Amazing how long they'll wait on the line sometimes...

JSnover
06-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Amazing how long they'll wait on the line sometimes...
More amazing is how dense they are when you make it clear you're not interested.
I went back and forth with a telemarketer for a few minutes and finally told him, "You can send whatever you want but I don't want any and I won't pay for it." Then I hung up. For the next five days I had a voicemail from this idiot telling me my order was ready but they needed my address.
Now that pretty near everybody has the ability to screen calls I wonder how any of those operations are still in business.

frkelly74
06-25-2016, 10:02 AM
There is a sucker born every minute. People exist who firmly believe that they can get something for nothing, and that there are people out there who will give it to them. They are called marks in some circles.

trapper9260
06-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Got a call today from "The IRS" along the lines of 'pay us or go to jail' and knew what was going on immediately. Fun to be had here....

I asked "Irene" how much I owed and was told it was $2436 and I better get it to them right away... Told her I didn't have that much and would she, sort of, lose my file if I gave HER half. While she was considering this, I told her that I just needed some banking information from her and I'd send her $1200... I interrupted her stuttering by asking her what she was wearing and if she ever felt naughty... You really can have fun with these sleazers if you try.This remind me of the time that they call for me. My brother was the one that pick up the phone and they told him the same thing of that I own the IRS about the same amount of money . He told them ,well he did not get any letter from you . Where is the latter that say that. They hung up on him before he got me.

alamogunr
06-25-2016, 10:31 AM
I keep getting calls from "Card Services", usually Rachel. I finally started noting the originating phone number and put it into my Iphone cantact list and block it. I've got about 9-10 numbers so far.

I don't know much about Iphones so I don't know if a call has been blocked or not. Does anyone know if this can be effective?
If it is, I'll add those free vacation/cruise call numbers.

Kraschenbirn
06-25-2016, 02:37 PM
I keep getting calls from "Card Services", usually Rachel. I finally started noting the originating phone number and put it into my Iphone cantact list and block it. I've got about 9-10 numbers so far.

I don't know much about Iphones so I don't know if a call has been blocked or not. Does anyone know if this can be effective?
If it is, I'll add those free vacation/cruise call numbers.

Yup!! At least that's the way it works on my LG Android. Once a number is entered, my phone completely blocks all calls from that source...phone doesn't even ring...but I do get a pop-up advising me that a call from that number has been blocked. FWIW, it appears the robo callers may have some indication that they're being blocked 'cause after a being blocked a few times, no more calls from that number.

Bill

tommag
06-26-2016, 01:24 AM
I would probably answer "Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve"
They send you a text message asking "who is this?" trying to get more of your personal info to match with your phone # for identity/credit theft.

jonp
06-26-2016, 06:40 AM
I got a text a few days ago along the lines of "Hey, great seeing you last night. Check out my pictures here (link to some account somewhere). I loved what we did" and a few minutes later another from the same place "OMG, I sent this to the wrong number. DO NOT LOOK AT THE PICTURES"

bob208
06-27-2016, 06:09 PM
on those calls now i just answer home land security. they hang up real quick.