PDA

View Full Version : Watching a potato gun fire at 20,000 frames per second

Earlwb
06-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I didn't really see a category to put this in. But it is a muzzleloader and it uses a flammable explosive substance.

Anyway I found it quite fascinating and gleaned some useful information from the video.

But this would help explain why we ignite everything from the rear, either as a muzzleloader or cartridge though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNSUIsjdpY

Doc Highwall
06-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Actually with gunpowder making it's own oxygen and being more dense, igniting it from the front is the most efficient. Rocky Gibbs did this with flash tubes that ignited the forward part of the gunpowder.

Do a google search for him.

Earlwb
06-22-2016, 09:49 PM
You do have a point, the gun powders we use have their own oxygen, so they don't need air to ignite and burn properly.

Yes I remember those front primer tube cases. I actually had a few many years ago too. it was a number of years before I found out about it at the time. I didn't do anything with them at the time though. I looked it back up and it didn't really seem to help any with muzzle velocity improvements. At least not enough for people to continue it. The US military experimented with it on some calibers too. But eventually they quit using it as well. There was some slight improvement with some calibers, but not all though.

Now then they did use the primer tubes with cannons and artillery. When you needed to ignite upwards of 100 pounds or more of charge behind a large caliber shell, the primer tubes were the way to go. Usually the tubes had holes in the tube to more evenly help ignite the charge along its length. It may be that the primer tubes only worked with large caliber guns that had really long barrels.

Geezer in NH
06-23-2016, 01:18 AM
Even Elmer Keith tried front ignition in the 50 BMG and I believe the 20MM also using a tube to ignite the powder from near the front of the case.

He wrote about it in "Hell I was There" if I remember right.

Gtek
06-23-2016, 01:26 AM
Really interesting video to watch the flame travel, but them tater guns scare the poo out of me. Growing up my buddies made them and I did not want to be around them. Let's see, plastic tube and some fittings that we "glue" together. Then let's put some really volatile substance in tube, hold it next to ones face or body and spark off. Sorry, I am not that smart!

JeffinNZ
06-23-2016, 06:06 AM
Very cool. He was a like a kid with a new toy. Love the giggling.

Doc Highwall
06-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Actually the tubes work great increasing velocities, but the problems of installing the tubes, being able to de-prime a fired case and then load it is what makes it not quite worth all the trouble.

fastdadio
06-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Really interesting video to watch the flame travel, but them tater guns scare the poo out of me. Growing up my buddies made them and I did not want to be around them. Let's see, plastic tube and some fittings that we "glue" together. Then let's put some really volatile substance in tube, hold it next to ones face or body and spark off. Sorry, I am not that smart!
I played with them years ago. Your fear is valid. A friend of mine had a 4" schedule 40 pvc tater gun explode while holding it under his arm. broke 3 ribs and received 118 stitches on his torso and arm. Shards were removed from too close to his lung and the artery in his arm. I immediately cut mine to pieces. You folks that fire these, do your self a favor, use schedule 80 pipe and wrap the combustion chamber area with several layers of good rope. In the event of an explosion, the rope will stretch, vent pressure and hopefully contain the schrapenal. Better yet, just don't do it. Pneumatics are more fun anyways.

oldcanadice
06-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the video. I sent it around to my family and we are having a good time with it.

The guns are fun if well made and you don't get stupid about charging them.

Gtek
06-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Hold my beer, watch this! What could possibly go wrong?