PDA

View Full Version : How much is enough?

DtheD
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I have been casting using wheel weights for my Webley and Vetterli and 20;1 for my 45:70 Springfield. I tumble lube with Lee Alox in an old yogurt container. A friend told me I was using way to much lube. I took the advice from this forum and thinned it with some mineral spirits. He said I don't have to see the brownish Alox on the boolits and they will be coated enough. I rolled them in my hand and stood them on aluminum foil to dry as usual. They aren't shiney anymore but I don't know if this is enough lube. I read that some members scrape the alox off the foil after removing the bullets. There was very little left on the foil, not enough to salvage, just a thin ring where the base sat before I knocked them over. I haven't had any leading problems and was wondering if this is enough or should I lube them a second time.

454PB
05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
My advice would be to shoot some and see if they perform to your standards. I've found that only one light coat is needed for my use. I have never thinned it, I just warm it up in a microwave before applying.

DtheD
05-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks 454PB. I know "that a little does a little and a lot does a lot" doesn't always work. I'll load them up and try. Just figuring I may save some leading trouble. Time will tell........

Buckshot
05-20-2008, 01:17 AM
.............I don't use LA by itself for rifle boolits, but ALL my bore riding rifle boolits get a ride in the Crazy Container with a much diluted LA. The boolits dry basicly slightly discolored, but it makes a world of difference in easy engraving. Can't say as I've noticed a drastic improvement in accuracy doing it, but 99% of my rifles don't have scopes and instead wear what they were born with. Not much to work with there for statistical analyisis :bigsmyl2:

...................Buckshot