PDA

View Full Version : When pigs fly......................

oneokie
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Went to tire shop today for new tires.

Asked the owner about his used ww's. Was told "ww supplier gives me $150 credit per 5 gallon bucket of used weights".

[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I can not compete with prices like that.

Scrap yard 5 blocks from this tire shop is paying 40¢ lb for lead.

Morgan Astorbilt
05-19-2008, 05:27 PM
A 5gal bucket of WW weighs about 150lbs. BUT a scrap yard dealer won't consider it "lead" due to the iron clips. It's like an aluminum screen door. Back when clean aluminum scrap was bringing 39¢/lb., If you didn't remove the screws, hardware and zinc corner angles, you only got about 20¢/lb.
Morgan

leftiye
05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
His supplier must charge him a LOT for new wheelweights to make up for that!

encoreman
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
A good friend is a manager at a tire store and he gives me most of his ww's. The other day he told me that due to the cost of the ww's they are going to start re-using the ww's on the inside of the tire and put new ones on the outside. He said the vendor for the ww's would leave a pallet to put the used ww's in and give him credit on new ones, but he doesn't have room for the pallet. You know I always seem to get in on the tail end of things, I could have gotten tons of these years back when I didn't see the need for them. Funny ain't it? Mac

hoss-noogy
05-19-2008, 08:43 PM
A good friend is a manager at a tire store and he gives me most of his ww's. The other day he told me that due to the cost of the ww's they are going to start re-using the ww's on the inside of the tire and put new ones on the outside. He said the vendor for the ww's would leave a pallet to put the used ww's in and give him credit on new ones, but he doesn't have room for the pallet. You know I always seem to get in on the tail end of things, I could have gotten tons of these years back when I didn't see the need for them. Funny ain't it? Mac

Hardest part of me gettin ww is puting them in the back of the truck. You cast any yet?

monadnock#5
05-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I called the tire shop where I have a bucket stationed. The guy I spoke to didn't know me, or anything about my "arrangement". So, I went into the background of the deal with him. He tells me that he doesn't want Bud, he wants Coors Light! "Well, OK, No problemo sez I". While I was there to pick up my full bucket, I made an appointment to have four new tires mounted and balanced this weekend. As long as there are no personnel changes in the meantime, I think they'll remember me on the next go 'round.

NVcurmudgeon
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Went to tire shop today for new tires.

Asked the owner about his used ww's. Was told "ww supplier gives me $150 credit per 5 gallon bucket of used weights".

[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I can not compete with prices like that.

Scrap yard 5 blocks from this tire shop is paying 40¢ lb for lead.

oneokie, the tire shop may be telling you a lie, either of his own making or what whoever he sells to has told him. I have been told by more than one tire shop that EPA rules forbid the tire shop from giving or selling WW to anyone not a licensed recycler. I don't tell these guys they are full of sauerkraut gas because I am in daily contact with over 5,000 people who know better. I just find other places to buy tires.

9.3X62AL
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
After all, it's not like I or most others here give a rat's bee-hind what EPA thinks or says. The EPA is to natural resources what the United Nations is to warfare.

Jon K
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Al,

Well said!........

oneokie,

Not to say truths are being manipulated, but I think tire shops are just trying to get all they can from the buyer.
I just got a new source of WW, they told me they would rather see a customer get the WW, and asked if I would be willing to match the recycler's price, $15/5gal bucket, they will call me when full. Of course, you know my reply, and I will not disclose who the dealer is.

Jon

oneokie
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Interesting responses. Have not encountered the EPA excuse as of yet locally.

3 of the 6 tire places that I check with started the "Reusing the old ww's" excuse in January of this year. Still get a few from them, the ones that they cannot reuse for whatever reason. Other shops say that they have long time customers that either cast boolits or fishing wts..

A scrap yard in a different town has a posted price of 25¢ lb. for lead, I asked there about buying ww's, and got a blank stare.

posted by Jon K

match the recycler's price, $15/5gal bucket,
At this point in time, I would be very happy to find a deal like you mention. Hope you continued luck with your accumulation of lead.

fishhawk
05-22-2008, 03:06 PM
checked with 2 yards today one wanted 62 cents a pound and the other 82 cents a pound spot price this morning was .28 cents a pound. told the scrap yard they could keep them

mtgrs737
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I have a saying about tire shops, I buy my tires from those who sell me used WW's. I had one tire shop that I bought two truck tires from sell me two buckets of WW's and PROMISE to sell me the next two buckets of WW's that they accumulate over the next 3 months. Well 3 months later they said Oh well about that, My son took them to the recycler with a load of old batteries! So I said it looks like I will be buying my next set of tires elsewhere! The owner, didn't like the sound of that but I checked back with him six months later and he still would rather sell to the recycler than a customer, I shook my head and crossed him off my list of tire shops I will buy from. I hope he gets a lot for his weights so he can make up for my business loss. My current shop loves me, they see me coming and know just what I am there for, I also buy tires from them and that really makes the owner happy! I get on average a bucket a month from them for 25 cents a pound and the owner never charges me for more than 80 pounds a bucket even though I assure him that it weighs much more that that! He also gives me all the brass valve stems for free! What a deal!

TAWILDCATT
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I just went to a recycler and was told the price was five cents a pound so they dont buy them.on the french market I saw $1.19 lb.so whats up. I am getting real peaved at liars.I'v got to check tomorrow a couple places.:coffee:[smilie=1::Fire: