PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Weatherby

Echo
06-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Son bought a 7mm Weatherby for a reasonable price. I would like to cast some boolits for him to plink with. He bought 50 Norma cases, and 40 Commercial loaded rounds, so will probably NEVER need any more cases. he believes, and I concur, that it needs a longish, heavyish boolit to jump the long throat and get some sort of accuracy. Anyone have a suggestion for a mold? I'm thinking Lee, to start with, but am open to suggestions.

OS OK
06-21-2016, 12:47 AM
I think a long round nose flat point might get you closer to the lands than a spitzer design. Have you used a Hornady overall length gage ( or similar method ) to determine the actual length when touching the lands with either profile boolit?

Scharfschuetze
06-21-2016, 10:11 AM
When I had a 7mm Remington Magnum in the mid 70s, I used the RCBS 175 grain design. It was a pretty good match with it's long nose and would probably work even better in the Wheatherby due to it's long free throat.

I just checked the RCBS web site and it is no longer listed. I'll bet that NOE has a similar design available.

Echo
06-21-2016, 10:46 AM
I think a long round nose flat point might get you closer to the lands than a spitzer design. Have you used a Hornady overall length gage ( or similar method ) to determine the actual length when touching the lands with either profile boolit?
I looked at NOE this AM and Swede's 175 gr RF boolit looks good. And No, he hasn't used the Hornady gage, although I will mention it to him. I'll bet he has access to one...

OS OK
06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
I looked at NOE this AM and Swede's 175 gr RF boolit looks good. And No, he hasn't used the Hornady gage, although I will mention it to him. I'll bet he has access to one...

Right...If he uses the boolit he wants to use in the 7MM and snugs it tight to the lands he'll have the max. OAL and subtract from there his desired jump.

piece-O-pie...huh?...charlie

44man
06-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Do NOT worry about the long free bore. It is to reduce chamber pressure. To try and reach rifling can make more problems including the SEE event. Don't seat boolits long, keep enough in the brass.

OS OK
06-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Doesn't a see event stem from the poor case neck fit and or crimp? Initial ignition doesn't build minimum pressure to fully engrave the boolit, causing the secondary pressure wave spike?

leadman
06-23-2016, 12:23 PM
SEE is thought to be from not enough of a slow powder in the case and when the primer lights off it pushes the bullet out of the case without the powder igniting fully so pressure drops and the bullet plugs the bore, then the powder ignites with the bore plugged, then KABOOM. Extending the OAL has the effect of increasing the powder space which lessens the percentage of space filled.
For cast loads a powder like 2400, SR4759, etc. should work ok. I have not found any stellar loads for my Encore 7mm Rem Mag with the Lee boolit or the Lyman 160gr silhouette boolit. I have not tried a filler in these loads but have so many other rifles that shoot cast so well I have not kept with the 7 mag.

Echo
06-23-2016, 08:10 PM
I ordered Swede's 168 grainer in 2GC,2PB persuasion. Will keep you posted.

44man
06-23-2016, 10:18 PM
SEE is thought to be from not enough of a slow powder in the case and when the primer lights off it pushes the bullet out of the case without the powder igniting fully so pressure drops and the bullet plugs the bore, then the powder ignites with the bore plugged, then KABOOM. Extending the OAL has the effect of increasing the powder space which lessens the percentage of space filled.
For cast loads a powder like 2400, SR4759, etc. should work ok. I have not found any stellar loads for my Encore 7mm Rem Mag with the Lee boolit or the Lyman 160gr silhouette boolit. I have not tried a filler in these loads but have so many other rifles that shoot cast so well I have not kept with the 7 mag.
Exactly correct.
The truth is many revolver shooters have SEE events without knowing because the gap bleeds off the pressure. Loose boolits and strong primers are hidden with the gap. Crimp is always the answer but nothing can be farther from the truth.
I wish fellas would get off the crimp wagon.