PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10/Never 10

Mal Paso
06-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Microsoft has been hounding me daily to upgrade from Win 7 to Windows 10. I have satellite internet with data caps so I took updates off automatic after a huge update put me way over. Yesterday Windows Update would not work at all, just sat and blinked. Hours and 2 Microsoft Fixes and still wouldn't work. I finally put it back on automatic, watched it like a Hawk, and got my 16 critical updates.

Then all of a sudden the modem goes crazy downloading something big. Task manager says nothing running so it has to be windows. I pulled the ethernet cable and shut down updates. I plugged back in and Googled "Stop windows 10 download"

Top of the list was Steve Gibson of GRC.com and Spin-Rite and the podcast Security Now. He wrote a tiny 83KB program that will turn the Windows 10 Upgrade Off, show you the Windows 10 files (if any) in a hidden directory, and offer you the chance to delete them if you wish. It will also turn the Windows 10 Upgrade back on if you want with just a click. It's free. https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

After running Never 10 Windows Update works like it should, I can see all the updates. Whatever Microsoft did to push the upgrade through was what locked up Windows Update. I left the 1.5GB of Win 10 files as I'm not pressed for space. And I haven't seen that little blue window in over 24 hours. :-)

If you can handle Seriously Technical, Steve has a Podcast: https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Thank You Steve!!!!!

DougGuy
06-21-2016, 12:41 AM
Steve Gibson ROCKS!! Been a fan of his since Spinrite v3 days, what was that 1997 or so?

One of the best things you can do for a home network is go to his Shields Up tab and let GRC.com port scan your IP address. It will show you every open port, every vulnerability, and help you to harden up your defenses by simply dropping packets instead of replying that the port is closed. That alone tells someone there is a computer at that address, and that port is closed so it basically says find another way in, whereas if it drops the packets and doesn't reply at all, nobody knows you are there. Good stuffs!

victorfox
06-21-2016, 05:42 AM
Great! The last acceptable win release was 7. Wifes laptop became an ox cart after she updated from 8 to 10... Since she doesn't seem to care I'll leave as is... But is good to know just in case.

Handloader109
06-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Yep, if win 7 is working for you, then don't upgrade. I lost use of my old hp LaserJet after the dang computer upgraded on its own. I have a laptop that failed to upgrade 3 time. Finally stopped asking me to do it. You gain Nothing by upgrading.

mtnman31
06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
I foolishly put Win 10 on my little netbook computer. That was a mistake. It is such a resource hog and my system is continuously running at 90% or greater. Not to mention, there are just a lot of user features I don't like. For users of older Windows versions, the new stuff is definitely not as intuitive. I realize that you have to "upgrade" sooner or later and change with the times, it is just that I don't like feeling forced to do it and I really hate when the programs force me to update my hardware because the hardware can no longer effectively run the software. Needless to say, I will be keeping Win 7 on my laptop for as long as I can.

Ithaca Gunner
06-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks to heads up from some sharp guys here, I won't allow it. Pull plugs, hit buttons, whatever it takes to stop any windows 10 update I've successfully done so far. Don't need it, don't want it, won't except it.

fecmech
06-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I downloaded GWX control panel(also free)and cleared out the W10 files and now do manual updates. My little netbook is running 8.1. Once I learned it I don't want no stinking upgrades!

runfiverun
06-21-2016, 02:01 PM
I had just went through and wiped the computer and re-started everything back like it was new with win-7, then it tried to upgrade to 10 again.
the turning it off right when it started and back on again the second time stopped it.

376Steyr
06-21-2016, 02:57 PM
You gotta wonder why they are so intent on stuffing Windows 10 into your computer. Are they just such great guys that they want to give you something better for free? Gosh, that's nice of them.

HangFireW8
06-21-2016, 03:38 PM
You gotta wonder why they are so intent on stuffing Windows 10 into your computer. Are they just such great guys that they want to give you something better for free? Gosh, that's nice of them.

MS has good, bad and indifferent reasons to get everyone up to 10. Their primary motivation is to support fewer releases. Supporting XP for long past its intended due date was a big drain for them. They know Windows 7 is the new XP (works, familiar, does what people want, very insecure and hackable), so they are trying to pressure Corporate America to move to 10 by giving it away to consumers.

Windows 10 fixes a lot of things that consumers are affected by, but aren't concerned with (until bitten), primarily security and updates. 7 follows the old school on both of these, so is inherently broken. MS is trying to move to a more Android/iOS-like update system in 10.

Every new release of Windows has privacy issues, until some combination occurs of a.) people get used to it, b.) MS dials it back, and c.) people figure how to dial it back themselves.

gwpercle
06-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Windows 10 installed itself on our home computer....I mean it did it without anyone doing anything ! The wife said NO , don't do 10. Luckily I found a uninstall button, clicked on it and the darn thing uninstalled it'self and hasn't been pestering us any more. I don't really like computer companies forcing me to do things but it's the computer age and we are at their mercy.

I'm not sure what an android is...it sounds like hemorrhoid...so I don't want no part of it .

shdwlkr
06-21-2016, 06:33 PM
MS 8 and 8.1 where **** and 10 is an even bigger piece of junk, I hate that it keeps trying to download windows 10 as I don't want it and I just paid good money to get rid of 8.1 that screwed up my laptop and cost me dearly to get rid of

castalott
06-21-2016, 06:51 PM
I am computer stupid. But I 'heard' that win 10 was to be pay by month usage thing later this year. No idea if that is correct.

Can anyone recommend a Mac? I know nothing of them but I am tired of MS.

HangFireW8
06-21-2016, 07:13 PM
I am computer stupid. But I 'heard' that win 10 was to be pay by month usage thing later this year. No idea if that is correct.

Can anyone recommend a Mac? I know nothing of them but I am tired of MS.

Save your money and install Linux, if you are going to learn a new system.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-21-2016, 07:16 PM
I posted my experience in the other Windows 10 thread.
here is the short version:

After continued (almost daily) boxes asking to update to win 10 (from 8.1pro), MS finally did it automatically. After 2 days I started to notice a slowdown. I went to the control panel and try a restore and luckily found a uninstall 10 and reinstall 8.1pro. I did that, it was quick and easy and painless. my slow problem disappeared and I no longer get the update to win 10 boxes anymore.

If I would have known that, I would have updated to 10 long ago, then just uninstalled it...although I'd be curious as to what malware or spyware was left behind?

garym1a2
06-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Chromebook

Hickory
06-21-2016, 07:20 PM
My next computer will be an Apple.
I'm over Windows 10.

victorfox
06-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Handloader109, her notebook is spanking new. It already came with 8, though Id prefer 7 IF I used windows...
i'm with HangfireW8, i use Linux since 1998 exclusively (or almost). Linux is so ****** and versatile when my old laptop (still running!) hard drive died i realized the cost benefit of a new disk and passed. Instaed I installed Linux in a usb pendrive (full install not live stuff) 16GB and am running it thid way since 2013. I have a lot of free space and managed to run both MSoffice (needed because of formatted work documents) and guess what? QUICKLoad... Never going back to windows though this ugly phone is windows 8.1 (gifts...)

victorfox
06-21-2016, 07:41 PM
sorry didn't know I'm not supposed to write "bad A**"...I apologize.

xs11jack
06-21-2016, 07:41 PM
I got version 7 and installed GWX. No problems sofar, but the windows scammer called my wife yesterday. He sounded very foreign shes said. She made him jump thru some hoops and then said "I don't know how to run a computer". Waited for him to respond, he didn't, she hung up.
Ole Jack

victorfox
06-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Oldie gold nerd joke...

Traffer
06-21-2016, 10:20 PM
I am a Comptia Certified PC technician. As far as I am concerned Windows 10 is 100% pure spyware. In the sense that with it, Microsoft can determine you living patterns to the point of knowing when you use the bathroom. It is the big eye of Big Brother in your home. I don't use it. I have been disabling the gwx (download Windows 10) program since they have come out with it. I have heard that there are free programs now that will do all the work for you. My advise, get that and disable the upgrade. If you have Windows 10 I would advise you to turn off all their data collecting gimmicks. It is no longer a matter of target marketing, they give the data to the NSA etc. They can easily build profiles of people with it. And I believe they do.

victorfox
06-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Traffer, agreed... Over the years M$ became more and more aggressive on how it collects data without user auth... fakebook is another one, as well as google...

MaLar
06-21-2016, 11:26 PM
I kissed MS goodbye years ago and never looked back. Been running Linux with out trouble. I have gotten every thing with my computer to work.
Ubuntu 14.04 (http://www.ubuntu.com/) is good for newer computers. Look at Lubuntu or search for "low resource computers+linux" for older computters and pick one.
Most will run as a live disk you get to try before you commit. The live disk will run slower that an installed version so don't judge by that. And no antivirus or anti-malware software needed. Plus all the free software you could want.

victorfox
06-22-2016, 12:29 AM
if you want blazing fast performance in old machines check antix or puppy linux (non ubuntu - guess the latest was 6.2)
I have Mint Xfce in my pendrive now and keep Antix in the first partition of my external hdd (where I keep my books manuals and backup) just in case... I can boot from the hdd in all my computers.
Sorry for hijacking the thread....

tommag
06-22-2016, 01:47 PM
When it comes to computers, I suffer from chronic discombobulatory noncomprehensis. I finally bit the boolit and made a boot disc for Ubuntu today. I've never tried using the dvd burner on this windows 8.1 laptop before, and it took me twenty minutes just to figure that out! Somebody said Quickload worked on linux, and now I'm trying to figure out how to access it. It doesn't appear when I'm using linux. Do I have to install the os and then re install Ql? I'm currently trying linux from my dvd. If I install linux, would I want to partition the hard drive and install in the new partition, so I can still use windows?

Der Gebirgsjager
06-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Mal Paso--I used the link you provided and got it done! After restarting the computer this morning even the little windows symbol that would initiate the Windows 10 download is gone. Many thanks. 3 cheers for Never10!

victorfox
06-22-2016, 02:34 PM
tommag, you have to install a linux program called "wine" first then you run the Quickload setup. I dont remember if I ever tried but seems to me you can install stuff while running the live dvd but when you switch off all will be deleted (teoretically it's all in the ram memory).

claude
06-22-2016, 02:34 PM
@ Mal Paso,

Thanks for the heads up.

tommag
06-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks, Victorfox. I installed ubuntu and tried to run ql, but I couldn't get it to work. I don't have the install disk with me, I'll have to grab it when I get home.