PDA

View Full Version : LAMII vs Press for Sizing

yenningComity
06-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Hello, new to this and trying to figure out which way to go. Going to be casting for 44 mag and 10mm to start. I snagged a new rcbs lamII off cl a couple months back, but still have yet to get my sizing dies / punches. Did a bit of digging on here and read that you can get adapters (or use the lee size through dies) to use a press to do the same job.

I am going to be powder coating so I do not need to lube.

I have an inline fabrications mount for my lyman crusher II. I could get the quick change mounting system, but then I have to store the unused press/sizer.

Does anyone with experience using both have an opinion as to which they prefer and why? Seems like using the press would save space, but I do not know what I don't know.

RobS
06-19-2016, 11:06 PM
Fit is King. Make sure to size .001 to .002 over barrel groove diameter (hopefully cylinder throats are at this in the revolver) and you will be doing ok. Depending on the what you are trying to do and how hard you are pushing and with what powder you may need a gas check design. If you cast to an appropriate BHN hardness, correct size and use a slower powder for top end velocities you may likely not need a gas check in either depending on the dimensions of the firearms i.e. groove diameters and with the revolvers the cylinder throat diameters. I have successfully used traditional lube as well as Hi-Tek boolits in handguns............... mild to wild.

yenningComity
06-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Errm, thanks for the reply, but not quite what I was asking?

dragon813gt
06-20-2016, 09:27 PM
For powder coated bullets I would go w/ NOE's bushing based push push through sizer. There are more options for sizes than w/ the Lee. And it takes up a lot less space if that is a concern.

I have two LAM1s and they work great. But I also lube w/ them. I don't powdercoat so I don't know how well it would work. I can't imagine it wouldn't work. You can remove the push rod to make it a push through sizer.

MT Chambers
06-20-2016, 10:56 PM
If the powder coating doesn't work out for whatever reason, maybe lack of accuracy, it would be good to experiment with lubing and compare results, easy to do with the RCBS lube/sizer.

RobS
06-21-2016, 11:34 PM
If you know you are going to 100% be only coating boolits then yes, the Lee or the NOE bushing setup vs the RCBS lube-a-matic.

Wayne Smith
06-22-2016, 07:52 AM
You are just starting. Don't lock yourself into or out of anything yet. You have the ability to powder coat - try that. In the meantime pick up some sizing dies and either pick up or make some lube - give that a try and see what your guns like. If you are like most of us this is just a beginning of a lifetime of multiple hobbies that end up with projectiles exiting the barrels of multiple guns. Unless you are very limited for storage space don't limit yourself.

garym1a2
06-22-2016, 08:33 AM
I started with the Lee tumble lube, went to the pan lube type than went to the RCBS Lam. Went I started power coat in 9mm and 40S&W my speed went way up. I use lees classic cast press and their push thru dies for sizing, they are twice as fast as a lubesizer to make.

mold maker
06-22-2016, 11:09 AM
The camels nose is already under the tent. According to what you include in the future, your needs will vary.
A LAM2 is a sound investment that can serve several purposes. The LEE push through dies are inexpensive and can also serve for several uses.
I can tell you from over 65 years experience, there will always be a new widget that begs with a siren's song for your attention.
I started simple and now could furnish several benches. It all works and HAD a (long forgotten) special purpose when acquired.
Either get out now or resign yourself to a lifetime of, "If I just could afford it, I'd ---- in a New York minute."