PDA

View Full Version : Strips of lead attached to rifling on Smith 4003TSW

chutestrate
06-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Picked up a lightly used smith 4003tsw and tried some of my handloads. Shot 150 rds and now see strips of lead in the barrel which I try to show in the picture. I have shot these same loads in my sig and have a clean barrel. Is it a poor fit or rough barrel? My friend's 4006 show the same type of leading.

Outpost75
06-19-2016, 05:56 PM
I have seen this before in recent S&W barrels which are EDM rifled. If you look at the bore with an optical borescope the surface is not smooth, but appears as fine sandpaper. No cure. Lapping doesn't seem to help. Fouls with jacketed too.

MFGordon
06-19-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm curious, are all recent S&W barrels rifled this way? I own a four year old Sigma (SW9VE) that I have put about 5,000 cast loads through and I have never experienced leading like that in the photo.

chutestrate
06-19-2016, 10:04 PM
My lead is either range lead or unknown mixture. I scrounge it where I can. So that may be part of the problem.

JSnover
06-19-2016, 10:42 PM
My lead is either range lead or unknown mixture. I scrounge it where I can. So that may be part of the problem.
Scrub it and slug it.

runfiverun
06-20-2016, 12:26 PM
and complain to the maker.
the words barely useable and profit margin really come to mind.

chutestrate
06-20-2016, 12:55 PM
thank you gentlemen.

gwpercle
06-20-2016, 01:23 PM
I have seen this before in recent S&W barrels which are EDM rifled. If you look at the bore with an optical borescope the surface is not smooth, but appears as fine sandpaper. No cure. Lapping doesn't seem to help. Fouls with jacketed too.

Thanks for the heads up. I do not care for guns I can't shoot cast boolits in.
That photo is a cast boolit nightmare.
Gary

chutestrate
06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
No support from S&W, and no available replacement barrels. I'm just going to shoot it and chore boy it frequently.

runfiverun
06-21-2016, 02:07 PM
you might be able to run some paper patch rounds down it and smooth things out.
bright white printer paper has titanium dioxide in it.
I have used it to brighten up some old dark milsurp barrels before.

chutestrate
06-21-2016, 03:23 PM
so a small strip of maybe one thickness around the bottom part of the slug in the case? interesting idea.

gnostic
06-21-2016, 05:04 PM
In my experience, strips of lead are from shooting jacketed bullets after cast. In an effort to get rid of light leading and bullet lube crud. Almost all my handguns are S&W's, many dating back to the 70's and yes, I've seen long thin strips of lead.

runfiverun
06-21-2016, 09:56 PM
in the rifles I wrap the boolit and then run it through the size die again with a little lube rubbed on.
it's the same as paper patching only with the bright white paper.

then I run a series of rounds down the barrel and check after each 5 or so shots.
usually 20 rounds will clean up a dark bore or show it's in need of replacement.
I think the paper would work here too.

Walter Laich
06-22-2016, 11:37 AM
I've used Kroil in my barrels to remove leading. Wet patch through and let sit overnight. Did it twice once before lead came out with a patch.
Others have said to leave in a couple of days so oil can get under leading.
Also position firearm barrel in horizontal plane to allow Kroil to do most good.
Kroil is penetrating oil and given enough time will get between lead and barrel--one story said rifle was put away and 6 months later when pulled out for more shooting had the leading come out with patch.

I use choir boy also--don't want to overlook any method that will remove it

chutestrate
06-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the barrel was free of any copper and lead deposits when I took it out, but now I'm 100% sure. I chore boy'd the heck out of it. No leading to be seen. Also used several applications of copper solvent to remove any possible copper build up. I'll give it another go at the range. I'll also try not sizing some of my casts I just did, and see if it is a fit problem.

chutestrate
06-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure the barrel was free of any copper and lead deposits when I took it out, but now I'm 100% sure. I chore boy'd the heck out of it. No leading to be seen. Also used several applications of copper solvent to remove any possible copper build up. I'll give it another go at the range. I'll also try not sizing some of my casts I just did, and see if it is a fit problem.

243winxb
06-27-2016, 08:27 PM
The alloy is just to hard, or the wrong type. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/th_40shots.jpg (http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe1944usa/media/40shots.jpg.html)

rintinglen
06-29-2016, 05:14 PM
That is exactly what I see in my M-69. If I ever buy another gun with an EDM barrel, you can be sure it is early onset alzheimers.

DougGuy
06-29-2016, 05:28 PM
No support from S&W, and no available replacement barrels. I'm just going to shoot it and chore boy it frequently.

This may interest you.. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146107/smith-and-wesson-barrel-s-and-w-4003-410

If it aggravates you enough to send the barrel this way with a couple of dummies I would be glad to take a look at it and see if there may be a recommendation as to how to address the issue.

Down South
06-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Have you slugged the barrel to see what the diameter of the slug is compared to the diameter of your boolits?
Since you don't know the alloy that you are shooting could be a second/another problem. The barrel could be a problem. Lots of things to check to get an accurate answer.
I have fire lapped a barrel or two in times past but I use very fine grinding compound embedded in the boolits to fire lap with.

Down South
06-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Have you slugged the barrel to see what the diameter of the slug is compared to the diameter of your boolits?
Since you don't know the alloy that you are shooting could be a second/another problem. The barrel could be a problem. Lots of things to check to get an accurate answer.
I have fire lapped a barrel or two in times past but I use very fine grinding compound embedded in the boolits to fire lap with.

The 40 is sometimes hard to cast for since it is a high pressure round. You need a harder alloy than range scrap, or at least I do.

chutestrate
07-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I will slug the bore. Good advice. I took the smith out again, and within 5 shots had the same type of leading again. So, unless size is a factor I think this pistol is going to be a plated or jacketed plinker.