PDA

View Full Version : Now I can finally say..

rickomatic
05-19-2008, 01:08 AM
:castmine:

Fired up the Lee 10# pot today, and put in a bunch of WW ingots I had made up on Friday. It was my first WW score too, so this was truly my "virgin" run.
Threw in the lead, started reviewing the mold instructions (LEE 158 TL >38...don't remember the actual number), and DANG :-x I forgot to clean the new mold....Doh!!
So I run into the shop and slop some MEK on the mold and wipe it off, hoping for the best. Smoked the boolit cavities with a butane lighter, and give it a go.
Hmmmm....not too bad.....not real good either...but..hey...it's a learning curve right?
First dozen or so were kinda wrinkly, so I turned up the heat a bit. Got a little better, but still a little wrinkly. Then I chucked in maybe an oz. of pewter I had melted down the other day. Fluxed it in, and they started looking a little bit better. Finally, once I got into a rythem, and I think the mold was keeping a more consistent heat, they actually got pretty good.
All in all, I think it was a good experience. I got a pretty good percentage of useable boolits out of the maybe 300 I cast today. A good 50 went back into the pot. I finally ended up with 235 pretty decent boolits.
Thanks for all the help with my new addiction, guys. If it wasn't so dark out right now, I'd probably grab the new .44 mold, and give that one a go....LOL.
To paraphrase another well known saying.........."Hi....my name is Rick...and :castmine: . It's been 6 hours since my last casting session.............one day at a time.... :mrgreen: "

Buckshot
05-19-2008, 01:24 AM
..............Super dooper:drinks: A good way to begin with Lee moulds is to float them for a 15 count on the melt. Or as much of the bottom of the blocks as is possible. Remove it and wait another 15 count for the heat to migrate and equalize, then cast.

Depending upon the alloy heat in the pot, watch the first couple of sprues for setting up. It might take the first few a couple extra seconds if your alloy is relatively hot. WIth a clean mould, your first castings will be keepers. They'll be frosty all over, but they'll be clean and well filled out.

..............Buckshot

carpetman
05-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey Buckshot---someone stole one of your bullets---over 6000 posts and only 5 bullets---I'd sue. I can talk to Lawyer J Noble Dagget if you would like his services.

Scrounger
05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Under CarpetMan's Avatar, they should put sheep instead of bullets. But that might encourage him....

runfiverun
05-19-2008, 11:47 AM
jeez scrounger
your gonna get this thread moved over to off off topic..
that was pretty good.

Buckshot
05-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Under CarpetMan's Avatar, they should put sheep instead of bullets. But that might encourage him....

............Poor Ray. Just can't get no love from Scrounger[smilie=w: Yeah, I was incensed being shorted like that. I became incensed AFTER I found out what they were for :-). However I understand that they may be able to turn colors, maybe. Like a blue one for 5K and then a muave one for 1K?

.............Buckshot