PDA

View Full Version : Bang-up job by V-DOT

bubba.50
06-18-2016, 11:57 AM
doesn't matter if the pavement is barely usable enough for anything nicer than a farm tractor, V-DOT(Va. Dept. of Transportation) stripes our road about every year usually by goin' over the edges with a tractor-broom first. noticed the new stripes the other day on my way to the P.O. & told the wife "V-dot did a bang-up job this year, just painted over all the rocks & sticks & beer cans & 'possums.... of course that part about the 'possums is just exaggeration for effect".

we went out for burgers later & when we returned home we came in the back way & there on the side of the road "lo & behold" there was a huge skunk with a nice shiny new stripe across his back at just about a perfect 90 degrees from his factory stripe. as Charlie Brown would say "Good Grief!"

s mac
06-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Should have taken a picture of that.

bdicki
06-18-2016, 12:32 PM
It's not an unusual event.
http://www.allfunpix.com/humor/pics/possum.jpg

runfiverun
06-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I like how the line wiggles just a bit to square things up better. :lol:

Mk42gunner
06-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Well, if I was driving a striping rig and had the chance......

Robert

osteodoc08
06-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Well, if I was driving a striping rig and had the chance......

Robert

id visit a large parking lot and write.....

bosterr
06-18-2016, 06:50 PM
A few years ago, PennDot paved over a road killed deer.

Minerat
06-20-2016, 10:19 PM
id visit a large parking lot and write.....

yippi yi O kia a in big bright .....

OH wait that's off topic. Sorry about that.:-)

Taylor
06-23-2016, 06:29 AM
Bubba,go across the mountain to Harlan.Hwy 38 close to the Va.line.I was there for a week.Road caved in at 1 place..mountain slide off in 3 places.I think I would be looking for some new engineers.

starmac
06-23-2016, 11:43 AM
A couple of years ago a local contractor and even one of the better ones finished a 2 year job on the Dalton. I happened to be going north on the day they were loading out and hauling off the last 2 pieces of equipment, which was a front end loader and the water rack. The funny and memorable part was while they were driving away, several members of the state dot were standing in the road scratching their heads, as the southbound lane was sluffing off and impassable. lol On my return the next day, they had installed orange barrels in the crack in the center of the road, some of the barrels only had about a foot sticking up above grade. lol

Petrol & Powder
06-23-2016, 07:22 PM
These things make for funny stories but if I was the guy in charge of a painting crew that is just what I would want them to do.

Let's say we're painting 10 miles worth of center line on a highway and we encounter a small dead critter in the road; Do I want the painter to:
A. Stop the truck, get out and move the dead critter (or wait for a helper to move it) OR,
B. Do I want him to stop applying paint for 10 feet and go back and fix that big gap later OR,
C. Do I want him to paint over that critter and ignore that resulting 12" gap and concentrate on the remaining 9 miles 2579 feet of that line?

From an efficiency viewpoint I can live with that resulting 12" gap in the line.

cephas53
06-23-2016, 07:58 PM
My road sounds likes Bubbas. Once they painted the lines then came back a couple weeks later and tarred and chipped it.

mold maker
06-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Around here it seems the only reason they pave a road is so another crew can mark where to start digging holes again. The fresh asphalt shows the new paint marks better than the multi patches, and previous markings.