PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a setup to make gas checks?

versifier
10-24-2005, 01:15 AM
I have heard from time to time about making your own gas checks from soda cans, copper flashing, etc. Does anyone either know where I can buy a commercially made one or have a good design to make my own? I'm handy enough in the machine shop. (Maybe a circle punch to form the blank then a ram & die to form the cup?....) :Fire:

Buckshot
10-24-2005, 02:31 AM
............Hanned Precision used to offer one. You could make one simply enough if you have the equipment. I'd make a blanking die to cut the metal disc's and then a cupping or draw die to final form the cup. To ease the machine work I'd use drill or reamer blanks for the punches (ground to size if necessary). For the die bodies I'd use an A series steel and have it hardened. For the punch holders probably water or oil hardening steel would suffice.

.............Buckshot

bravokilo
10-24-2005, 05:54 AM
Hope this works...

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/832103252

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page for more links.

BK

versifier
10-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Many thanks to Buckshot for steel and procedural suggestions and also to Bravokilo for links to photos & more. This looks doable. Even by me. Fewer parts than I had envisioned, less to lose. 8) Following the links I also found other more complicated systems, but the simplicity of this one is refreshing. Gas checks at $20 a box plus shipping is criminal. Production costs I would think would be less than 1% of that. I've read that Hornady makes them all, no matter whose package they're in - Anyone know if this is truth or fertilizer? If I'm going to rant and rave at a company, it would help if it was the right one. :mad:

HickoryCreek
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I've read that Hornady makes them all, no matter whose package they're in - Anyone know if this is truth or fertilizer?

I would venture to say that this is fertilizer. I do not see how gator and hornady checks could be the same when they weigh differently. Reading through this page and you will see a few differences
http://www.mountainmolds.com/gc.htm

Ken O
10-24-2005, 09:29 PM
I agree on the ridiculas price of GCs, how can they cost more than primers? There is a lot more engineering and tiny parts to assemble in a primer than a GC.

LAH
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Gator makes his own. He made me some to a little different thickness because his standard ones were loose fitting for my mould. BTW he's a honest fellow to deal with, a MD I believe.

Jumptrap
11-16-2005, 05:12 PM
If I could find one close enough...I'd buy a 15-20 ton punch press, get the dies made and then turn them out in oodles for next to nothing. I seen 2 of these presses on ebay out in Buckshot country going cheap......like under $300.

StarMetal
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
You don't need a 15-20 press to make gaschecks, but I guess if you wanted something that wouldn't wear out that would be okay.

Corbin sells a gascheck maker, but it fits his swaging press. He is incredibily high on his prices though.

Joe

Jumptrap
11-16-2005, 11:39 PM
You don't need a 15-20 press to make gaschecks, but I guess if you wanted something that wouldn't wear out that would be okay.

Corbin sells a gascheck maker, but it fits his swaging press. He is incredibily high on his prices though.

Joe

Joe,

It isn't that you need the capacity of 15-20 tons pressure....but these machines are small, run off a 1 horse motor and would puke out checks as fast as you could push the pedal and feed material...unless you got an air feed and set it on automatic..then just dial in the quantity and walk off..thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk, thunk. I'd pay $300 for a punch press a lot quicker than what they ask for these Mickey Mouse hand sets. Machine is no bigger than a refrigerator.