PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Plug Gauges

alamogunr
06-17-2016, 09:51 AM
I thought I would pass this on since plug gauges are promoted here for determining throat size for revolvers, bore size(?), etc.

I have a set of .251-.500 with a few missing that I got on Ebay. The few missing never caused any problems until recently when I needed to check chambers of a cylinder. I checked a couple of sources on line including Meyer, which was the brand of my set. Meyer's price was very little more than MSC so I called them to order what I needed. Since they had a minimum order of $20, I added a few more of the missing sizes to reach the minimum $$. When I asked about shipping the lady told me they ship UPS and they didn't know the charge until after it shipped.

I received the gauges fairly quickly and when I checked my credit card charge I found that the gauges cost $20.16 and the shipping was $19.99. If anyone is contemplating buying individual plug gauges, I would recommend someone other than Meyer. I have found in the past that MSC is reasonable. The package that Meyer sent could have very well been sent in a USPS Flat Rate padded envelope for a lot less.

It seems that most of the lessons I have learned lately have been expensive.

Don Fischer
06-17-2016, 10:09 AM
I learn the hard way too! Welcome to my world!!LOL

reddog81
06-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I ordered a dozen gauges from them earlier this year and the shipping was $14.40. I wondered myself why they didn't send them in a flat rate box for $6. I wasn't in a hurry and it probably would have only taken 1 day longer. It would make sense to offer some kind of cheaper option.

Sagebrush7
06-17-2016, 11:20 AM
I quit ordering from Midway USA when they stopped giving dealers a discount. Now they have dropped their shipping for small items to $ 4.99 and have some good sales. If a customer needs something right now and willing to pay I go to them and check their prices,

dudel
06-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Enco is reasonable for the imported sets.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=335&PMITEM=326-1332

blackthorn
06-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Ah yes---good old UPS! I got stung once with their usurious shipping "add-on" charges, and as a result I now ask how an order will be shipped and if the answer is UPS I simply cancel the order and look somewhere else.