PDA

View Full Version : How do you slug a bore

raymo55
05-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Iam new here and have lots to learn about casting and looks like I found the right place

Razor
05-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Welcome raymo from another new guy..:mrgreen:
This is a great place..you'll love it..

To slug a bore;
unload it...(duh)
grease/oil the bore
pound a soft lead slug/sinker/whatever in the muzzle (careful not to hit the crown)
finish driving it through the barrel using varying lengths of brass/wood dowels.
when it comes out the receiver end....measure it ..I use a dial caliper across the widest dia.
Obviously this will tell you your groove diameter useful in determining the correct size boolit
you need for this particular firearm..

Some real experts will be along shortly to flesh out this abbreviated explanation.

Razor
:castmine:

PS..the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...

Maven
05-18-2008, 07:35 PM
raymo55, Search the site's archives as this has been described many times. Also, a handgun is easier to slug from the muzzle, but a bolt action rifle or lever action rifle whose bolt can easily be removed, e.g., a Marlin,is better approached from the breach. Better still is to slug from both ends (drive the slug in ~6" from each end) and compare them: they should be the same or very slightly larger at the breach end than the muzzle. The reverse is not ideal for pinpoint accuracy.

wdm004
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
raymo,

The archives are helpful, but I found a site that comes with step-by-step instructions and pictures; http://www.surplusrifle.com/reloading/slug/index.asp

That's what got me started slugging my rifles. Now I know exactly what diameter my cast boolits need to be. Then I could work on other aspects of load development to make accurate ammuntion for them.

all the best, Dan

MeestaSparkle
05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
One thing you want to be careful of is to not make the slug too long. I just used a larger diameter bullet, that was maybe .4" long and that proved really difficult once it got into the barrel. Ended up breaking all my dowel rods because of the force and was a real b*tch to get out without damaging the barrel. You don't need a lot to measure the diameter, so make sure the length of the part of the slug that will contact the bore is not too big. A pistol barrel was not as critical, but in a long barrelled rifle it was a big deal if the friction force was too high.

KCSO
05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Try a right cross, works for me.

I use brass rods and upset a r/b in the bore. That way I can measure breech middle and muzzle.

carpetman
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Tell the bore to shut-up. If he doesnt comply, slap the crap out of him or even kick him.