PDA

View Full Version : New to forum.....Bad Water Bill referred me!

Jim-Bibs
06-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Hello all. I'm new to casting and could use everyone's help. Please steer me in the right direction. What things to purchase, read, use, etc.
Today I met with Bad Water Bill and told me if I wanted to learn anything about casting this was the group to join. I'm very happy her recommended this group to me.
Thank you all
Jim-Bibs

GRUMPA
06-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Glad to have you aboard, there's so much information here I'll be surprised if you don't get brain freeze. When someone is just starting out most folks recommend reading what we call "Stickys" which are located at the top of each separate category. If you want to cast, just click on the cast boolits section and notice all the stickys there are. Almost everything a person would want to know is somewhere in the stickys.

A person can learn a lot faster with a mentor, takes a lot of guess work out of the equation....

jmort
06-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Get Lyman's Cast Manual #4 and read as much as possible on this site and read the Cast Bullet notes from the LASC link at the bottom of the page. Better yet have Bill explain it all to you.

DerekP Houston
06-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Welcome! You are in good hands here, just about everything is covered in some form or another. If you can't find what you are looking for after searching ask away, very friendly folks on here.

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2016, 08:05 PM
bad water bill is a good reference!

country gent
06-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. There is alot of knowledge here in the stickies and past posts to be gleaned from. Also alot of knowledge here to answer posted questions. What are your intrests? Rifle pistol shotguns, match shooting plinking hunting? Theres so many diffrent intrests here and alot that have knowledge of them. Again Welcome to the group.

runfiverun
06-16-2016, 08:42 PM
ahh,,,,,,, someone that has met Girty is always welcome.

Spruce
06-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Welcome. Since you have met Bad Water Bill, who is the purtyist, Bill or Gerty?

Artful
06-16-2016, 09:01 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of lead - what calibers are you reloading for?

Jim-Bibs
06-16-2016, 09:07 PM
I will be casting 38 special , 44 special/mag and 45colt. All for revolvers.
I reload however 9, 45acp, .380, .223 and 30.06

gunoil
06-16-2016, 09:40 PM
bad water bill is smart, genuine, and plenty of common sense .

Artful
06-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Excellent choices -
Some of the most affordable molds are made by LEE - I like their 6 cavity molds in cost vs production it's tough to beat - you have to buy their handles separately on the 6 cavity but they are included in the 2 cavity

There are several most excellent custom mold makers - Accurate, NOE come to mind immediately.
RCBS makes wonderful molds as well
I would caution against ordering new molds from Lyman, NEI.

for being frugal with your lead I like 105 grain Lee SWC mold.
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90316.jpg
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243545/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-358-105-swc-38-special-357-magnum-38-colt-new-police-38-s-and-w-358-diameter-105-grain-semi-wadcutter

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458304/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-358-105-swc-38-special-357-magnum-38-colt-new-police-38-s-and-w-358-diameter-105-grain-semi-wadcutter

for your 45 Colt you can do the traditional round nose or if your hunting go with a wide flat nose design
You can save a little lead if you use a 230 grain but if you have fixed sights you may want to keep to the
heavier mold
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199161/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-45-230-rn-45-caliber-452-diameter-230-grain-round-nose
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199161/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-45-230-rn-45-caliber-452-diameter-230-grain-round-nose

for 44 mag - I tend to recommend the Keith SWC's as that is very good for hunting and target shooting
This is one of my favorites
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191199/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-44-245-swc-44-special-44-remington-magnum-430-diameter-245-grain-semi-wadcutter
Now if you really push your loads to high pressure levels you may want to look at Gas checked boolits
(note the spelling) - this allows higher velocity but also adds cost - and we here on the forum are very
wallet conscious (cheap/frugal/scottsman like ) so I tend to work with plain base boolits.

You'll need to lubricate your boolits - we have sections to make your own with many proven recipes.
or you can buy lube from some of our sponsors (members) or Lee Tumble lube works well.

One of the things you need to do is check the actual size of the chambers/throats/bore of your revolvers.
It's important that you lead boolit has the correct fit as when too small the gas tends to cut around and cause leading - which is a bad thing.

You can apply the lube in several ways - cake and cookie cutter - Lube sizer - wet tumble. One other method is used by some of us - applying powder coating (PC) - (like on your lawn furniture) - it works well for most of us.

osteodoc08
06-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Hello all. I'm new to casting and could use everyone's help. Please steer me in the right direction. What things to purchase, read, use, etc.
Today I met with Bad Water Bill and told me if I wanted to learn anything about casting this was the group to join. I'm very happy her recommended this group to me.
Thank you all
Jim-Bibs

welcome aboard!

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2016, 01:34 AM
bad water bill is a good reference!

Dang it Lloyd after all dese yers U still kante re membr da name B spelt BIG B ad BIG W ater BIG B ill.

Duz I got ta send Girty up dere agin.:kidding:

OS OK
06-17-2016, 01:35 AM
If you can't find out what you need from all these...'dirty ole brass stuffers' above...well...you just ask me. I am as full of spit as anyone else around here!

Pull up a comfy chair and crack a cold one...you are going to be here a while!

OS OK...:bigsmyl2:

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2016, 02:04 AM
B gentle wit da new guy az he shud hav kalled hizn self BIG bekoz he standz 6'6 and probabli waiz about 350 without no bakin.[smilie=s:

lightman
06-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Welcome aboard! Theres lots of good info in the stickys. Feel free to ask questions. Don't let the few snooty remarks that you will get bother you. Learn to post pictures, we like pictures! See ya around!

OS OK
06-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Heck yeah...we like pic's., most of us can't read! Lot's of pic's. please!

woodbutcher
06-17-2016, 07:52 PM
:smile: Welcome aboard.The folks here are the real deal.What they don`t know ain`t worth knowing.Have a little talk with Girty and have her see to it that Bill behaves himself;).Snicker,snicker.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo