PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel pot for smelting?

Dave Berryhill
05-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I've got a cheap 8 quart stainless steel stock pot that is about .035 thick (20 gauge?) and a thick aluminum disc on the bottom for heat transfer. Do you think that will work for smelting wheel weights?

Sig shooter
05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I think it would work fine , the aluminum might separate after hours
above 600 -700 degrees . The stainless steel will withstand the heat .

mtgrs737
05-18-2008, 05:18 PM
As long as it does not get brittle after many heat cycles above 600 degrees. I would think that a cast iron dutch oven would be a cheap investment against a pot letting go of 100 pounds of hot lead alloy.

largecaliberman
05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I used a stainless steel pot for years however without the aluminum bottom. If filled around 4" from the top, you should have between 350 - 400 lbs of smelted alloy. As mtgrs737 said, the pot can get brittle after a while. Always think SAFETY. I always distance myself from the pot by using a long handled flat shovel when scooping in additional metal into the pot and using a long handled ladel. The long handled ladel is from a stainless steel wok set and handle from a broom handle bought from Home Depot. Happy smelting.

eli
06-09-2008, 01:46 AM
I would find a pot without aluminum for casting. If you look back through the threads, you'll find a number of postings, IIRC, about aluminum pots that suffered catastrophic failure while full of melt.

I use a Revere ware stainless pot on a hot plate and have had no problems so far, though I do want to switch over to cast iron one day. The problem is, I use cast iron cookware and haven't found a used one I couldn't bring back to a useful life as a kitchen utensil and no way will I buy a new one to use for casting... unless I win a lottery.

Cheers

Black Wolf
06-09-2008, 07:06 AM
no way will I buy a new one to use for casting... unless I win a lottery.

Cheers

harbor freight has dutch ovens for like $12. I've never used mine for smelting because I don't have enough ingot moulds to justify melting that much WWs at one time. I need more ingot moulds.

shotman
06-09-2008, 07:27 AM
those cheeeeeeep pots will get holes and as 737 said get brittle had one loose 200lbs on the driveway busted a big chunk of concrete up rick

uncowboy
06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Laminated pots are not to be used on HIGH heat. ANY Eletric ellement will cause seperation. This goes for the $100.00 pots as well. J.Michael

Bret4207
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I use a heavy stainless 8 cup measuring cup with a double bottom. No issues after 3-4 years so far.

Dave Berryhill
06-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll play it safe and won't use it.

RP
06-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Man I did not think it was a major deal to melt lead for the last 30 years on and off I just grabed a pot or what ever to melt my lead in everthing from cast iron to sauce pans to a SS pan out of a hotdog stand. After reading all of these threads I guess i just havent picked the wrong one and if I did i was lucky not to have a mishaps. Iam glad I found this site I learn something new all the time.

prs
06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I did not know the risk of SS pots getting brittle! Pays to read good sites like this one. My smelter is a heavy steel affair that holds enough scrap to render 100# of finished metal and still have some free board. I am more comfortable with the smaller batches. I use a propane high BTU turkey cooker burner and steel stand; so maybe I should keep a keen eye on that pot to make sure she is not getting cycle hardened -- is that a problem with non-stainless?

prs