PDA

View Full Version : The enemy of my enemy is my friend or watch out SNAKE!

nagantguy
06-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Putting up a new pole bean arbor, or rather fixing up the old one the other day, I picked up a piece of broken wood, and low and behold I saw the arch enemy of my number one rival. It was a milk snake, a very small young one, my arch enemy is voles, battled them fiercely last year with traps, pellet gun clubs and weed whip, taught the chickens to eat them, they did their part. Milk snakes go.after them where thy live, in old mole holes. When I saw the baby snake I says to myself, right there in the back garden, self I says if that's a baby I sure hope there is a momma some wheres, low and behold tending the chicks in the hatchery my daughter says clam as you please SNAKE, BIG SNAKE, not that she's scared mind you but Noone likes almost stepping on a snake. So today I was on the way to clean out said hatchery cause the chicks are all now in general population, there is a window box on the side and there curled up was a rather large milk snake, and I causally said SNAKE, BIG SNAKE only because she took me by suprise and all, ain't scared .

montana_charlie
06-16-2016, 11:35 AM
It's great to get assistance from Nature.

Gophers were invading and occupying my hayfield like Syrian refugees until three badgers started working the field.
Haven't seen gopher-one this year.

Big bullsnakes go get 'em, too, but don't work as fast.

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2016, 01:01 PM
The only good snake in my book is a very dead one! It was a milk snake that scared a little 3 year old boy all those years back on the farm and gave birth to my disgust for all snakes today. I especially enjoy running over them with a mower.Robert

dverna
06-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Snakes keep the rodents down. I hate mouse nests and poop in my stuff way more than I hate snakes. Now, if there is a rattler near the home, it is toast.

Skunk1
06-16-2016, 05:51 PM
25 yrs in my neighborhood and lots of snakes, no mice. I'm thankful for them. Even have had a couple in the house. One in the basement and one 2 steps from the second floor of the house.

flint45
06-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Hardly any snakes around were i live but alot of mice and rats. lost my good olde rat killin dog about 6 months ago now more critters are showin up around the place need to get me a new dog dont want any snakes got enough lizards.

JSnover
06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
An uncle of mine had snakes at his place in Florida keeping the mice down, until a flock of Ibis cleaned them up :(
It's always something...

osteodoc08
06-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Poisonous ones are the ones that go bye bye around me if they're around my home. Otherwise I pretty much leave them alone. They're part of a healthy ecosystem.

MT Gianni
06-18-2016, 11:59 AM
Snakes keep the rodents down. I hate mouse nests and poop in my stuff way more than I hate snakes. Now, if there is a rattler near the home, it is toast.
Good attitude to have. I love our gopher snakes.