PDA

View Full Version : missouri and traveling with gun

nekshot
06-15-2016, 01:57 PM
I have a question about our states laws. If I go on a road trip and stay in a motel in Missouri how do or can I travel with my handgun assuming I don't have a ccw? What about taking the gun into motel as I sleep?

JSnover
06-15-2016, 02:08 PM
On the road it depends on your state laws. Some require the firearm to unloaded, locked up and/or unaccessible (trunk).
Assuming you can get checked in without being arrested or searched, conceal your handgun on your body or in your baggage until you get to your room.

floydboy
06-15-2016, 02:49 PM
This is the way is was presented to me by a LEO ccw instructor. In Missouri we can have a handgun/rifle in the vehicle concealed or not. If it is concealed an you get pulled over by LEO leave it there and don't say anything about it. The officer doesn't want to know. It just creates more headaches for him if you have one. If your asked then tell them you have one and where it is. Don't start grabbing for it. If asked to remove it do so. It is not against the law to have a gun on your person in Missouri. That doesn't mean you won't generate a lot of attention and get questioned by the authorities but you aren't breaking any laws and 24 hours after they pick you up and get done questioning you to determine you aren't a threat you will be released with no charges. CCW gives you the right to walk around with a "concealed" gun on your person. Carrying it into the motel can create problems. Even with a CCW the place of business can ask you to leave if they find out you have a gun. If you don't you can be charged with trespassing after they are done questioning you and determine your no threat which again may take a few hours. This holds true for a motel, Wal mart and even a bank. This is pretty much the jest of it. I was going to get my CCW thinking it would make my life easier. After finally finding the facts I decided it wasn't worth the money for what I was wanting to do which was keep one in the truck for self defense, varmits or whatever. I was thinking it was against MO law to have a concealed weapon in the vehicle glovebox without a ccw. It is not. Be reasonable with gun handling and leave it in the vehicle until it's time to use it. My friend told me about the time a guy at our local walmart thought he'd better put his gun in the trunk for safe keeping as he and the wife shopped. Someone saw him and called the police. It just so happens a police cruiser was on the wal mart lot. Before the guy made it to the front door the officers had him on the concrete in cuffs. Apparently he got a little smart with them about his rights. Several hours later after questioning he was allowed to continue his shopping. Luckily he didn't get maced or tazered in the ordeal. I think MO has one of the better set of laws regarding carrying a gun. If you keep it in the vehicle, concealed or not your good to go. Outside the vehicle and it's not concealed isn't against the law but will draw attention. Outside the vehicle and concealed can cause some problems if found. One last thing.....you can't take a firearm on Federal property. I know Federal courthouses qualify but am unsure about the Post Office. I think it would. I always leave my 1911 in the glovebox where ever I go. Anybody find anything wrong with what I've said or how I said feel free to correct me.

nekshot
06-15-2016, 03:44 PM
What you are saying is what I thought it was concerning my vehicle, what I was not sure of was the motel. I was not sure how the law was on other folks property that I would rent a room. I did not see the need for a ccw for me as I don't get far from my vehicle usually.

smoked turkey
06-15-2016, 04:24 PM
I believe floydboy has it pretty well nailed. The problem with leaving it in the vehicle is the chance of getting your vehicle broken into and the weapon stolen. I believe that if I were to do that I would invest in one of the small safes to cable it down and lock the weapon inside. Another avenue and actually one I currently use is to develop a good hiding place within the vehicle such that it won't be readily found by the perpetrator. My vehicle was randomly hit a few years ago and the LCP inside the console didn't make it. I have yet to get it back. The CCW is a good law and one that I support because I believe everyone will benefit from the information presented and the shooting instruction that is required. It is not surprising to any thinking person, but many many of those wanting to carry concealed don't have a clue about actually concealing and shooting a firearm. When taking the class at least they get exposed to some actual hands on and shooting the weapon. If the motel you are going to stay at have it posted that no firearms are allowed, I would go on down the road to the next place. No way I will leave a weapon in my car in a strange place and leave me and my family unprotected through the night. Just be discrete about it and good chance everything will go alright.

xs11jack
06-15-2016, 08:24 PM
Didn't the Supreme Court a few years back rule that if you are in hotel room, that is the same as your domicile? If you are in a motel room in Missouri, then Missouri Castle law would protect you. As was said earlier, if the hotel has a no firearms rule then you leave in your car or you leave and find another hotel.
Ole Jack

MtGun44
06-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Missouri law says that your vehicle is an extension of your home, so having a gun in the
car is legal, loaded, whatever, for any adult legally owning the gun. Put in the glove box
or console or under the seat and that is that.

Carrying into the motel, no problem if cased. If the motel has a prohibition, just ignore it,
means nothing legally other than if they decide you cannot stay (after discovering it because
you have been some kind of nitwit) then leave. Trespassing is all that they can have against
you if you ignore a posting sign in MO.

Unless your state doesn't permit it, strongly suggest you get a CCW. This solves a HUGE
number of problems and they work very widely now days. In most states, in-car is not
as friendly as MO, but with a CCW, no sweat at all.

Bill

Minerat
06-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Check this site out it might help. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Handloader109
06-15-2016, 11:41 PM
I know that there are a lot of Grey areas in the Arkansas laws about guns and you being on a journey..... What's a journey? No definition, going to the grocery store? Or out of town? Or the other side of the state? Without a ccw it is a bit of a crapshoot. With a ccw, and stopped, I hand over license and ccw permit and he asks if I'm carrying today, that is if he wants to know.... Much clearer picture in my mind. And I'd not leave any valuables in my vehicle, that includes my gun. They're in the hotel room with me. Screw the signs. I'm protecting my castle.

TXGunNut
06-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Get a MO CCW. Learn the applicable laws and protect you and yours.

Bookworm
06-16-2016, 01:32 PM
I never leave home on a roadtrip without it. I have been questioned once, in more than 3 decades. I told the officer I was a long way from home, traveling often at night, often on sparsely populated stretches of road.
He radio'd in on me, sent me on my way. It helps to not have a "rap-sheet" a mile long, and to look like an ordinary person. I found that once I cut my waist-length hair (really) and trimmed the "ZZ Top" beard, my life got easier.

As for the motel - well, what they don't know won't raise questions. Why would they know ? It's not like you're going to flash it in the lobby, right ? That piece won't do you any good locked in the car.

And, a rented room is indeed a domicile. As is a tent, or travel-trailer.

nekshot
06-16-2016, 09:12 PM
ok thanks for your input. My wife and I want to get ccw's but did not have the need yet and on a fixed income that is a little steep for us when its not a nessesity. Another mould or primers and such are very much a need!