PDA

View Full Version : Factory Cast

burch
05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I know i`m probably going to get myself in a jam on this one. I haven`t had the time to get started in casting my own yet but need some info from the masters here. I have to buy my cast bullets and was wondering which of the factory cast bullets are the best. I`ve tried the ones from my local caster and have some Meisters loaded up and ready to shoot. So i`m kinda looking for the ones that use the right methods and have the strickest tolorances. These are for my cowboy &
hunting revolvers in 45colt, 38spec, 44spec.

Burch :drinks:

oneokie
05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Need more information. What is the BHN hardness of the boolits that you are buying? What lube is applied to the boolits? What is the sized diameter of the boolits? Have you slugged the barrels of the guns you are going to shoot these boolits in? Cast boolits need to be .002" larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. On the revolvers, you also need to know the size of the cylinder throats. If the cylinder throats are smaller than the groove diameter, you will have problems with accuracy.

wiljen
05-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I like castperformance.com or gardnerscache.com. I would advise you avoid National bullet as all I've heard of late has been bad.

pps
05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Another one you might try is http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

C A Plater
05-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I've used Leadheads (http://www.proshootpro.com/) off and on for years with good results.

burch
05-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I wonder if I could buy cast bullets from someone here. I`m interested in the Lyman 452424 - 255gr. Keith with #2 alloy. I don`t know if i`m outta line with this question or if I should post it in the classifieds section, but that would solve my needs for a 45 bullet.

Burch

James C. Snodgrass
05-18-2008, 12:34 PM
[smilie=1:( Lead Heads) are the best if you don't believe me call Tommie and he'll tell ya. But seriously he does make some good bullets and has (Real) Kieth type bullets what ever that means. James

GabbyM
05-18-2008, 12:50 PM
How about a Saeco #458. 255gr. swc.

mooman76
05-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I've never used them but I hear people rave about Lazercast bullets. Bullshop here sells cast bullets to order.

VTDW
05-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Check with Robert:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,23847.0.html

Buckshot
05-19-2008, 01:18 AM
..............The issue here is 'fit' and your loads, and what you expect. You should buy commercial cast boolits with the same thought you would put into those you were going to be casting yourself. As previously mentioned by others, for revolters you want to slug the barrel and the chamber mouths. Hopefully your pistols were made by someone with half a brain and the chamber mouths will be about a thou over the groove.

If so, you want boolits at, or a thou over the chamber mouth OD. Those morons at Ruger think a .449" chamber mouth and a .451" groove is fine, so hopefully your's doesn't have measurements like that.

With your measurements in hand you'll have to check out the commercial guys to find out if they have something that will fit. Also for cowboy loads you don't need really hard, or heat treated lead. A full on custom caster will fill your order to your specs, ie: Size, sizing, and a suitable lube. The only one I'm aware of is the Bullshop (see bottom of page). There may be others, but I'm not aware of who they might be.

.................Buckshot

runfiverun
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
the larger outfits meister,hunters run. use taracorp magnum mix 2/6/92.
lazer cast is harder then this even as they have silver in theirs from their own tailings pile.
you want to find a smaller outfit and speak to them about a 2/4 or 2/6mixed 50/50 with pure
for your cow-boy loads they just work so much better.
yesterday i was shoooting some 2/6 in my 357 that i got in a box of stuff, and had to shoot
some acww's to clean the leading out. this is the first time i have ever had lead in this pistol.

compass will
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I had been buying from a friend in the club. He bought a machine and sells them just to offset his SASS shooting costs.

http://cowboybullets.fortunecity.com/

the prices on the website are amazing, I think he forgot to update them?

I still shoot his 45/70 405 grain boolits.