PDA

View Full Version : When Do I Start Selling My Guns ?

Bonz
06-15-2016, 08:42 AM
When Do I Start Selling My Guns ? It's a great question, never really though too much about it until now. I have been a member of this site for years now and I have read posts about members getting sick and dying. I really don't want my wife to have to deal with selling my guns but at the same time, the Dr. can't tell me how much time I have left or even how much longer I will physically be able to shoot guns, cast, swage and reload.

My wife and I really love going to the range and shooting guns. In fact, a new shooting range opened up close to our house that has all the newest technologies; heat & A/C, Hepa filters, great lighting and lots of poofy perks for the elite members. Of course once my wife saw the elite members areas and all the perks, she wrote a check instantly. If I won a ton of money and wanted to build my own shooting range, I can't think of one thing that I would do different. The elite membership grants us 24x7x365 access to the range and elite members facility. My wife and I enjoy meeting other members and shooting all we want.

I have been battling bladder cancer since 2009 and have had so many surgeries and rude, uncomfortable things done to me, I can't count them. But it has always been non-aggressive & non-invasive.

Then, during a CT scan for something else, they saw lesions on my liver. My urologist that has been treating my bladder cancer ordered a biopsy of the largest lesion on my liver. It tested positive for bladder cancer which means the bladder cancer is now metastatic and it can attack anything.

So now, I have officially been upgraded to stage 4 bladder cancer; it has spread to my liver, lymph nodes in 2 different areas, etc. I suddenly have a new Dr., an Oncologist. His first plan was 6 cycles of Chemo but once he saw that the largest lesion on my liver doubled in size in 30 days, he changed his mind. I will now go thru 2 cycles of Chemo and then another Pet scan to see if the 2 cycles of Chemo fixed anything. If not, we will try something else. We could hear the urgency in his voice and we know that this is very serious.

So this is really a tough decision. I want to be able shoot & reload as long as I can enjoy it but I don't want to add the burden to my wife of disposing of all my guns & goodies when I get too sick to help.

Would love to hear your opinions on this. Charles

richhodg66
06-15-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, cancer scares the daylights out of me though I'm relatively healthy for a 50 year old.

My Dad who is 80 is facing this down now, he's had a couple of scares recently and is working with an auction house for some of his valuable stuff his sons aren't all that interested in. I'm not really the collector he is, but have taken a few off his hands that I like.

This is a dilemma all of us will face down eventually. If you have kids who are enthusiasts, talk it over with them. Otherwise you could give detailed instructions to your wife regarding values and such for how to dispose of them. If you and your wife shoot a lot together, I'd certainly want to keep doing that for as long as I could. Spend as much quality time with her as you can.

FergusonTO35
06-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Very sorry to hear of your situation. The easiest thing would be to first decide which guns are going to be kept by your wife and/or inherited by others. After that, I would talk to a gun shop about selling the rest on consignment after your death. Most shops around here will do that for a percentage of the sale price. Estate auctions are a total **** shoot on prices, and not all auction companies follow the law about selling guns. I've seen some very questionable looking individuals bidding high prices on guns at estate auctions conducted by non-FFL auctioneers. If she does have an auction company handle it make certain they have an FFL.

mold maker
06-15-2016, 09:03 AM
I'm deeply sorry for the news and understand your concerns.
Hopefully, you have a trusted friend that will help your wife take care of the disposal of equipment and guns that she doesn't want to keep.
I have such an arrangement and trust him explicitly.
Discuss the subject with her first and then all three sit down and establish parameters.
Doing it this way ensures beneficial results for her and your continued enjoyment.

Bonz
06-15-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, cancer scares the daylights out of me though I'm relatively healthy for a 50 year old.

My Dad who is 80 is facing this down now, he's had a couple of scares recently and is working with an auction house for some of his valuable stuff his sons aren't all that interested in. I'm not really the collector he is, but have taken a few off his hands that I like.

This is a dilemma all of us will face down eventually. If you have kids who are enthusiasts, talk it over with them. Otherwise you could give detailed instructions to your wife regarding values and such for how to dispose of them. If you and your wife shoot a lot together, I'd certainly want to keep doing that for as long as I could. Spend as much quality time with her as you can.

Thank you for your response. I am only 60 but from what I have read, I have a 15% chance of another 5 years. The Dr. told us that no one knows how I will react to treatment or even how I will feel during and after treatment. My youngest brother loves guns & shooting as much as I do but has never reloaded. I will talk to him about driving here and picking up all my reloading stuff when the time comes. Will be up to him to keep it or sell all the fun stuff. The guns seem like they will be the biggest hassle. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer. I have already talked with UPS and they told me that I would have to drive the packaged guns downtown to their main facility and the cost would be about $100 per gun on average.

square butte
06-15-2016, 09:06 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of your health issues - And do wish you complete restoration. Regarding your guns - Do you have any family or friends who you would like to leave them to? And have you asked your wife if they truly would be a burden to her? Very Difficult questions that I have contemplated many times in the wee hours of the night. I am going to look for folk in and around my life that I know will enjoy and appreciate them. I am making a list for my wife as to who should receive them. Some I will give away before I am gone - If I have time. I have friends who will help my wife with them when she decides when and how to proceede. God Bless You and Your Wife

Bonz
06-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Very sorry to hear of your situation. The easiest thing would be to first decide which guns are going to be kept by your wife and/or inherited by others. After that, I would talk to a gun shop about selling the rest on consignment after your death. Most shops around here will do that for a percentage of the sale price. Estate auctions are a total **** shoot on prices, and not all auction companies follow the law about selling guns. I've seen some very questionable looking individuals bidding high prices on guns at estate auctions conducted by non-FFL auctioneers. If she does have an auction company handle it make certain they have an FFL.

Thanks for your response. I really want to make sure that my wife does not end up in a legal issues regarding my guns so I really want the sale to go thru a FFL. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer.

Bonz
06-15-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm deeply sorry for the news and understand your concerns.
Hopefully, you have a trusted friend that will help your wife take care of the disposal of equipment and guns that she doesn't want to keep.
I have such an arrangement and trust him explicitly.
Discuss the subject with her first and then all three sit down and establish parameters.
Doing it this way ensures beneficial results for her and your continued enjoyment.

Thank you for your response. That is a very good idea and I will reach out to my local close friends to see what they think and if they would be willing to help.

Bonz
06-15-2016, 09:15 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of your health issues - And do wish you complete restoration. Regarding your guns - Do you have any family or friends who you would like to leave them to? And have you asked your wife if they truly would be a burden to her? Very Difficult questions that I have contemplated many times in the wee hours of the night. I am going to look for folk in and around my life that I know will enjoy and appreciate them. I am making a list for my wife as to who should receive them. Some I will give away before I am gone - If I have time. I have friends who will help my wife with them when she decides when and how to proceede. God Bless You and Your Wife

Thank you for your response. My wife and I have discussed the guns in detail since the bad news from the Dr. My youngest brother may be interested in a few, my wife wants to keep her favorites, but some will need to be sold. She asked me to get something in place or some type of arrangement. With my paycheck gone, she will obviously need the money from the sale to I need to get a fair price for the guns. We enjoy our time together at the range and I want to continue that as long as possible.

DerekP Houston
06-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your response. I really want to make sure that my wife does not end up in a legal issues regarding my guns so I really want the sale to go thru a FFL. I'm going to talk with the owner of a local gun store that I have bought a lot of these guns from/thru. Just curious to see what he would charge to handle the FFL transfer.

Wow, first off let me say I'm sorry for what your are having to deal with. One of the gun stores I frequent for transfers sells guns on consignment as well. They don't move as fast as doing an auction but he gets a better price on them *and* he is a licensed FFL and handles all the paperwork. I believe he bases his fee on a % of the sale. I personally wrote my will to leave everything to my father in the event of an accident in trust til my sons 18th birthday. I suppose at some time I will have to admit to my wife the *real* price I paid for all those items so she doesn't get lowballed if she goes to sell them.

Dear Father above, please help our friend and fellow shooter Bonz through this terrible ordeal and let him smite this cancer with holy fire.

MrWolf
06-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Sorry to hear about the cancer. Prayers sent that everything works out ok. Some great advise on what to do. I think the firearm issue is one of the many financial situations you will need to address and I commend you for looking out now for your wife's best interests. I would let her choose which she would like to keep, but not do anything until you both can no longer enjoy the hobby together. Having something to look forward to like reloading, shooting, etc. is also beneficial to recovery. Good luck.

DougGuy
06-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Very sorry to hear of the cancer's growth and hope they can get you as much time as is possible.

I survived (so far) 35 rads and 3x badazz Cisplatin sessions in 2013 in my battle with tonsil cancer so I know how this stuff can go. I looked like a holocaust survivor that just got liberated. I am doing MUCH better now. Hopefully they can steer you into a clinical trial or something that will buy time.

I read of a treatment widely used in New Zealand where they use the blood of the giant keyhole limpet which attaches to the bladder cancer cells and the body's immune system then attacks the protein in the limpet blood and kills it which kills the cancer it attaches to as well. Supposedly they have cured bladder cancer 100% by using this method. The blood of the limpet contains a protein too complex to synthesize it by any known methods and so the treatment cannot be made readily available to lots of patients. I don't see where the bladder cancer needs to be localized to the bladder for this to work. It may be worth checking into. Wish you the best course of action and hopefully some recourse will be available to you.

Seems like you already know who to go to that can take care of the firearms.

As far as the non-firearm items, make a list of equipment and assign a rough value to them so in case they need to be sold at least this much would be done. You know what goes with what and can divide it into groups of related items that would make good deals.

Smoke4320
06-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Bonz
very sorry to hear of your health issues.

Mk42gunner
06-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Bonz,

I have no idea of what to tell you about when to start selling. All I can really say is if both you and your wife enjoy doing it together, don't be in a hurry to get rid of the guns you both like to shoot.

It has been close to twenty five years since I sold any guns via consignment, but IIRC the gun shops I used charged a percentage and I told them the least I would take.

Wishing for the best outcome,

Robert

opos
06-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Sorry about your illness...we have had our share in our family and it's disruptive and scary.

I'm 78 with failing lungs and serious arthritis. I've been slowing down over the last few years...I do still reload...I go to the indoor range and have a cart like luggage with a pull up handle...can't do the outdoor range as I can't get to the targets and get them changed quickly enough when they call a time out. If I have someone with me I can still do that...don't cast because of my lungs...

About 5 years ago my Wife and I did trusts, wills, living trusts with health care directives and the medical power of attorney...that is all done and on file with the doctor, with our hospital and with the kids (each grown and have a copy). I have several "collections" of different things...in a codicil to my will I name specific friends that are to get specific items and aside from those I've named a good friend that is a FFL in San Diego to take all the rest of the guns on consignment...I am slowly selling off a few now as well as reloading supplies that are excess.. I figure do what I can slowly and easily now and have things written down and let that be it for the rest of the stuff. Part of my collectable stuff is antique engines and machinery. Lots of "shysters" in that game and I've spelled out the people that get things free and also the ones that should be contacted and eliminated all the rest...Biggest thing was getting all the paperwork done with a competent attorney..I looked at the "do it on line" kind and passed...glad I did.

Stand strong and take care.

pmer
06-15-2016, 10:04 AM
I'd shoot till I couldn't pull the handle on the press any more. Be well as you can.

bob208
06-15-2016, 10:11 AM
do you have an auctioneer that does alot of gun auctions in your area? if so talk to him. make a list for your wife and him. then when the time comes she makes one call and it is taken care of. if you have a large collection. even bigger acution companies will come and pick them up. i am lucky i live near reddings auction service in gettysburg pa. they are a major gun auction service. they have even gone to fl.to pick up guns for an auction. they do the ffl transfer the day of the sale all state and fed. laws are fallowed.

Artful
06-15-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this - Cancer sucks - my wife fought thru her's and it was no picnic.
You may also consider some of the other reputable auction sites if you don't get a local FFL to handle your stuff - Rock Island has auctions that go local
http://www.rockislandauction.com/
1-800-238-8022 7819 42nd Street West, Rock Island, IL 61201

Battis
06-15-2016, 10:52 AM
I had a different approach. In 2002 I was given a 60-40 chance of living 5 years (soft tissue sarcoma). I said "screw it," and started buying the guns that I've always wanted. Well, I'm still here (just turned 61) and I have a lot of cool guns. I can just about guarantee that you will outlive "healthy" people that you know right now - there's no rhyme or reason to fate. I'd say get that rifle, shotgun or handgun that you've always wanted and shoot 'till your hands hurt. We'll all be gone one day, and what happens after that day will happen as it was meant to happen.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-15-2016, 11:02 AM
If you have enough potential value, I think an auction is the way to go.

Pm sent

Boaz
06-15-2016, 11:15 AM
My prayer is for you . I hope the treatment is completely successful . JonB in Glenco's suggestion would be the simplest way to go .

johniv
06-15-2016, 11:22 AM
So sorry to hear of your health problems sir. Good advice here on the gun issue, so I'll just say God bless you and prayers sent.
John

osteodoc08
06-15-2016, 11:50 AM
First of all, prayers and best of luck in your health issues.

I would fully document via picture and SN your firearms and designate someone you trust as an executor. Allow them to sell them or pass them along as you desired.

Another option would be to pare back to what you enjoy the most, sell what is left and go do something on the ole bucket list with the spouse. Assign an executor for the remaining firearms.

buckwheatpaul
06-15-2016, 02:49 PM

I am truly sorry for your cancer issues.....I have the pasty Irish skin and have already had a melanoma......I will pray for you and have prayed for you. With that said I agree with square butte......a trusted friend is a good way to go as is a good gun shop to liquidate if and when you and your wife decide the time has come......

scarry scarney
06-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Two Cancer survivor here. My last Cancer, I ended up doing Clinical Trials. With Gods smile, I was able to survive, I pray the same for you. If they offer you Clinical Trials, I suggest you check it out. I was lucky, I live about 3 hours away from a Medical teaching hospital (Stanford University).

pjames32
06-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Bonz
Sorry to hear your diagnosis. Will say prayers for you and your family.
I can tell you what I have done. I'm 68 with some serious heart issues so I have mde some plans.We have no surviving children, but do have 6 nephews. Two nephews hunt so they were the recipient of a shotgun each. I've told all 6 and their spouses.........get a CCW and Uncle Paul will provide a pistol. So far no activity there altho 2 have ccw's.
The trustee on our trust who takes over when both wife and I are gone is sort of a gun guy, but not really. I have a neighbor of 25+ years who I trust implicitly (and is younger than me) who has agreed to dispose of whatever my wife and family do not wish to keep. I think the guns will be fairly easy of not in a hurry. The reloading stuff will no be so easy.
I have a simple computer program that lists the guns, when they were purchased, what I actually paid (not what I told my wife), serial numbers, scope info and any modifications I made.
Hope this works!
Right now my neighbor and I are trying to help a widow next door. So far we have not even found the combination to his safe! Don't do that to your family, please.
YMMV
PJ

Duckiller
06-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Don't give up! I have a form of non-hogden lymphoma. Was at stage 4 when I was diagnosed, five years ago. My hemotologist says she can't cure me but she won't let me die of it. Cardiologist says he won't let die of a heart attack ,5 so far. Have sincere discussions with your wife and your Drs. Drs have no long term cyrstal ball but can advise you about short term things. Do you have children that are interested in shooting? If so talk to them. Find out if they want something that you or your wife wants to keep. Do the same with your brother. Main thing is what do you and your wife want to do with the guns you have accumulated. If you have guns that you don't think you will be using in the future you may want to sell them now. I am not a conspiracy person but don't let too many people know that you have guns that you may want to sell until selling time is at hand. Good luck We all get old and have problems. May your problem respond well to treatment and you have many more years of enjoyable shooting.

lightman
06-15-2016, 05:03 PM
I'll be another to say that I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Dealing with your guns and reloading equipment is a tough thing to make a decision about. If you decide to keep all of it at least make a list for your wife listing what you have, its value and where it is stored. I also suggest limiting the number of people who know about this. Your home may be vacant more than normal while you are at the Dr's and traveling to and from treatments. Good Luck with this and hang in there.

AK Caster
06-15-2016, 05:10 PM
My suggestion is to do a complete inventory of what you own and a realistic value for each firearm. Keep these records in one of your gun safes and update it as time goes on. This should give you a sense of relief that your wife will not be taken advantage of after you pass.
We all have guns we no longer like or use and these I would suggest you list on gunbrokers.
Good luck.

500MAG
06-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Very sorry to hear such news. Don't start preparing to die. Pray for healing and expect it. You have 15% for 5 more years but there are also a percentage that live much longer. I had a family friend that was diagnosed and treated for metastatic aggressive breast cancer at the age of 65. She lived to 86. I have another friend that was diagnosed 15 years ago with terminal colon cancer. They did a resection and he decided to forgo chemo. He is still alive today. God Bless and you will be in my prayers.

dverna
06-15-2016, 05:21 PM
Bonz

Sad to hear your situation. Hoping for the best. I know you will fight a good fight!!

Name a person you trust in your will to help your family dispose of your gun stuff. This person should be introduced to your executor so he understands the gun stuff will be handled separately.

My friend named me to handle his gun stuff. He offered me a $9,000 gun as compensation but I will not take it. You should pay for reasonable expenses that may be incurred

Blackwater
06-15-2016, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't ever sell them. I'd give them to family and good friends who've meant something to me in life, if it ever got to the point of hospice. I'd think about it ahead of time, and execute when hospice was called for. That'd be the way I'd deal with it, anyway.

country gent
06-15-2016, 05:44 PM
So sorry to hear about your news, you are in my thoughts and prayers also. An good aution house is not a bad idea as they really draw the crowds and know where to advertise. The local guns shops are okay but commisions and fees can eat up as much or more of the income at times.One thing to help is to sit down over a few days and make a 3x5 idex card for each individual firearm On this list make model and serial number as the heading. Next where and when purchased any modifications mde to firearm round count and custom work done and by whom. These can be set out with the firearms when displayed for the auction ( most have 1-2 days to view look over inspect before the actual auction) This lets potential buyers know what the firearm actually is and a good idea of its condition. This can be set up ahead of time and when needed the Auction house will handle it all including background checks and paperwork. Another plus to the auction house is they may combine 2-3 firearms estates together makeing for a bigger draw come auction day. The local aution house here when doing a firearms auction like this has a full parking lot and people parking up and down the sides of the road. If there are collectables or special firearms it just gets better. Also consider tools machines and other epuipment, Hobbies and or collectabales in this.

shooter93
06-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Best of luck to you and keep in mind you may respond to the treatment very well. I know several people who were given short periods to live 20 years ago and they are still with us. I'm going through a similar thing but my wife isn't a shooter. I have a very close friend though who is a gun maker. I left everything to him with the provision that he keep certain ones and handles the sale of everything else for my wife. He will see she isn't taken advantage of. Perhaps you have such a friend should the need arise.

shooterg
06-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Redneck prayers going upstairs for you now. In my area auctions always bring more than most sane people should pay for the firearms ! Find someone you trust and make a list of the minimum you'll take. Some may not sell first time(I doubt that !). Amazing how much the "extras" bring(loose scopes/reloading stuff/gun books/etc.) bring too. Obviously your wife is a strong person - she's dealing now and if she's clear on what is to be sold and the values, she could maximize the income derived.
I'm hoping for both of you that time is years away. May God bless you .

MtGun44
06-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Very sorry to hear this sad news.

If you don't need the money from sales, just let them stay as long as you can shoot them,
let the wife deal with it later. Let's hope a WHOLE LOT later.

Make sure you have designated any special guns be given to the correct people in your
will if you want them to go to particular family members or even friends.

You may want to give some of them to family while you can enjoy their reaction and perhaps
pass on some stories about the particular gun, maybe what loads it likes, any special features
or needs.

Best wishes.

Bill

MT Gianni
06-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Best of luck with the cancer. My wife knows which guns I have willed to relatives and which to sell. I have a brother who knows enough to counsel her regarding mold #'s and dealing with the lead and misc reloading gear. This is in case I fall victim to the unexpected. Regions differ greatly, I could expect my wife to offer a guns for sale ad in our local town paper [town has a population of 1200] and have them all gone in two weeks. If I had a 15% chance of seeing five years I would take a hard look at the collection, decide what goes and rent a table at a local gun show in the next 18 months or as soon as chemo leaves you able to do so. Then I would hope I was wrong but be happy knowing if things went rapidly that it was out of her hair.

fivegunner
06-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Bonz, your in my prayers . GodBless.

fatelk
06-15-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Cancer stinks; I hate it. I'm a survivor myself, coming up on ten years. Mine was caught early and I'm fine, but I still worry. I've been told several times that those survival stats are just a number, that your actual odds can vary depending on how hard you fight and your will to beat it. I have an acquaintance who been fighting some scary stuff for a long time using both traditional and alternative "medicine", including chemo and some crazy dietary stuff. I don't know about all that stuff but he's doing pretty good right now.

Ultimately of course it's in God's hands, and I pray that He gives you a reprieve for a few more years, or decades. I recently lost a very good friend. He was kind of a health and fitness nut, literally the most fit and healthy 57 year old guy you'd ever meet, but taken in an instant from a massive heart attack. No one knows their time, that's for sure.

As far as the whens and hows of selling off a collection, I don't have anything better than the good advice others have given, but I sure admire your attitude and calmness. I hope and pray that treatment goes well for you.

Just Duke
06-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Thank you for your response. My wife and I have discussed the guns in detail since the bad news from the Dr. My youngest brother may be interested in a few, my wife wants to keep her favorites, but some will need to be sold. She asked me to get something in place or some type of arrangement. With my paycheck gone, she will obviously need the money from the sale to I need to get a fair price for the guns. We enjoy our time together at the range and I want to continue that as long as possible.

If you need help hosting pics or anything like that, feel free to give me a jingle. I helped a former member here host pics to sell off all his hand built black powder rifles.

Jake70
06-15-2016, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Knee mail inbound. :(

I would have to agree with the auction idea.

Wis. Tom
06-15-2016, 11:28 PM
No advice on the guns, but we serve a big God, and I am praying for you. God bless you, and your wife.

Reverend Al
06-16-2016, 12:55 AM
The trouble is that none of us know just how much time we're going to get on this earth. I'm 63 now and could keel over tomorrow or I could last until 94 like my grandfather did. I have a fairly substantial collection of guns (150 +) and all of the related reloading and casting gear to go with them all, plus some old collectibles related to the shooting sports (including 50 + glass target balls from the late 1800's and some pieces of vintage reloading equipment) so there is quite a bit of value there. To assist my wife in case of a sudden disaster I have drafted an inventory list of all of my guns and their approximate current market values which are stored in my gun safes so that she could find them in an emergency. I'm working on a similar list of the values of all of my reloading gear and old time collectibles. That way if I do "slip away" unexpectedly she will at least have some idea of what it is all worth. She shoots with me and would likely keep a few of her favorite guns for future use, but I'm sure that 90% of my collection would be liquidated if anything happened to me. At least this way she has some idea of what she could / should sell it all for if I'm not here to do it myself. It definitely pays to plan ahead ... and having said that it absolutely AMAZES me how many friends I talk to in my own age group haven't drafted a will yet! Not having a will can tie up estate assets and your bank accounts for quite some time and if your spouse can't access any funds how would she pay the monthly bills while waiting for your estate to be sorted out? Joint accounts go to the survivor (in Canada at least) and investment funds are paid out immediately (usually less than 30 days) to the named beneficiary. Nobody likes to talk about this sort of stuff or plan for it, but if you don't "take care of business" in advance then you run the risk of leaving your spouse (or family) in a heck of a mess. Just my 2 cents worth ...

shoot-n-lead
06-16-2016, 02:27 AM
I am certainly sorry to hear this.

Like some others have said...I really have no advice on what to do with the guns as I simply do not know what might be best. However, I have sent a prayer for your health and for your family during this...and will continue to do.

GOD BLESS you and your family.

Teddy (punchie)
06-16-2016, 03:18 AM
praying for you , Charles

michael.birdsley
06-16-2016, 03:32 AM
My great grand father Harry wolf was a major gun collector in Denver Colorado. Some of his guns are at the battle of little big horn museum. He was actually writing a book before he passed about the battle. He died of lung cancer. Any how on all of his guns he had cards attached with price and who to call about selling the gun. However he also had a list of people not to let in the door. Untill my great grandma bells death this is how she paid to travel the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richhodg66
06-16-2016, 06:09 AM
The trouble is that none of us know just how much time we're going to get on this earth. I'm 63 now and could keel over tomorrow or I could last until 94 like my grandfather did. I have a fairly substantial collection of guns (150 +) and all of the related reloading and casting gear to go with them all, plus some old collectibles related to the shooting sports (including 50 + glass target balls from the late 1800's and some pieces of vintage reloading equipment) so there is quite a bit of value there. To assist my wife in case of a sudden disaster I have drafted an inventory list of all of my guns and their approximate current market values which are stored in my gun safes so that she could find them in an emergency. I'm working on a similar list of the values of all of my reloading gear and old time collectibles. That way if I do "slip away" unexpectedly she will at least have some idea of what it is all worth. She shoots with me and would likely keep a few of her favorite guns for future use, but I'm sure that 90% of my collection would be liquidated if anything happened to me. At least this way she has some idea of what she could / should sell it all for if I'm not here to do it myself. It definitely pays to plan ahead ... and having said that it absolutely AMAZES me how many friends I talk to in my own age group haven't drafted a will yet! Not having a will can tie up estate assets and your bank accounts for quite some time and if your spouse can't access any funds how would she pay the monthly bills while waiting for your estate to be sorted out? Joint accounts go to the survivor (in Canada at least) and investment funds are paid out immediately (usually less than 30 days) to the named beneficiary. Nobody likes to talk about this sort of stuff or plan for it, but if you don't "take care of business" in advance then you run the risk of leaving your spouse (or family) in a heck of a mess. Just my 2 cents worth ...

Good advice here, don't write yourself off. Any one of us could get run over by a truck walking out of the house today, you can't resign yourself to it.

Everybody needs a will, in fact, I need to get with the wife and dig ours out and make sure they don't need any updating.

trapper9260
06-16-2016, 07:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the cancer. I have a close friend that is fight olvarian cancer and that been since I know her and she have 2 young kids. I know it is not easy on you or your wife.All i can say is go with that others stated and go with that, but it is only can really make up your mind what is best for you and your wife. but you have ideas of what you might like to think about .As for me I do not have a wife, or any kids . my sisters are not in to what i do beside my brother. Also my sisters kids dose not bother with me or are into alot I do. So I been thinking about what to do for some time. But I know in time something will come to me on it all. I know it is not easy to do and think of. When my dad had died my mom know who to give what to at the time.

Wayne Smith
06-16-2016, 07:59 AM
I too will be praying for complete recovery. In the meantime I have one piece of advice not yet mentioned. Take each of your wife's favorite firearms and invest in brass. Reload all the ammo she can shoot in a dozen or so years! It will keep you busy and will give her a rememberance of you every time she goes shooting without you. It will show her the value of the reloading tools if she doesn't know now - assuming she is interested and will go shooting without you.

Lance Boyle
06-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Damn, I am truly sorry for you current health troubles. I pray you beat it.

I sometimes ponder this issue. I sometimes think I should sell off my seldom used guns even though I really used to enjoy shooting them. They've been idle while I picked up others. I don't sell too much. Sometimes that's a mistake keeping stuff I used to use a lot. Like the canoe I don't use anymore and the last time I took it camping it didn't even come off the truck (it rained very hard the whole time).

I have some of my father's guns, I'm not yet 50 but I see my nephews and think I should hand some of them off. I've kind of avoided that as their father tends to glom onto stuff, gets in a bind and sells stuff. I don't like to think he'd do that with stuff I give to the nephews but it's a nagging thought.

I don't think it's much of an issue right now unless you start needing the cash. Enjoy them. It sounds like you got your wife up to speed on the process if that time ever comes. I'm pretty confident you could take a few pictures now of guns and stick them in a computer folder with notes on them and prices and could post them for sale or your wife can post them for sale easily on gun broker, here or other sites you frequent. Kind of a contingency plan like a will.

My step father was sick with colon cancer for a year. (he ignored signs until it was far too late) What he did do quietly is do a lot of things to make things easier.

I wish you well my brother.

higgins
06-16-2016, 04:28 PM
First, sorry about the situation you're facing - any of us could be facing that some day. It is to everyone's advantage that you're thinking about this beforehand.

I used to tell my wife "if something happens to me, take them to ____________auction and let them handle them". I assumed the ridiculous prices people paid at auction would be to her benefit, however, I found out that that particular auction company charged the seller something like 20-percent (in addition to the ten-percent buyers premium). After that I kept in mind a reputable dealer who would sell them on consignment for less than the auction would cost.

shdwlkr
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
I have already taken care of that situation in my life and know who gets them and I am ok with that decision. Yes it is a very hard decision for any of us to make but we all know that something in this life is going to kill us. I am sorry you are dealing with cancer it took my dad in 3-4 months so now there is a chance it will get me one day and I am dealing with the possible chance it will get me, but then I have lived with the knowledge that each day is special for me for a long time military service does leave its memories and scares

tstowater
06-16-2016, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure what to say other than cancer sucks. My mother went through the battle a number of years ago. My prayers with you.

I am on the other side of your issue. My father in law has a substantial gun collection and assorted sights, parts, etc. Some of which I don't have a clue about. We need to sit down and take an updated inventory and what to do with it if something happened to him. Most of the stuff I have no interest in and would rather see it go to people who would appreciate it. Auctions, reliable LGS and other outlets all have their place.

Good luck and God bless.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Roha Waha
06-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Dear Charles , live each day to its fullest, look around you and be grateful for all that you have and the people who love you. Be still at times and known that God is merciful and will receive you with love. Count each day a blessing and be sure to tell each member of your family you love them. Acceptance is the key to serenity.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Bonz-All the advise has been given already, so I just want to wish you all the best.

victorfox
06-17-2016, 01:47 PM
can't add much to what others said. Make cards of you things values and attach seems an easy and not too dark advice. Also if your finances are in good order now the advice on buying whatever gun you wanted is sound. Then sell some of the guns you already have. Write a will.
But the best advice I can give you is trust in God and keep you will to live. Don't believe doctors (no offense to the docs ok) believe in God Almighty and never give up. Grandma fought a cancer and won. She died 20yrs later at a ripe old age from other causes. My father had 6mo of life in 2000 due to a heart condition. He was looking so bad I didn't have the courage to keep seeing him in the hospital. 16yrs later the oldman is still rocking. Be praying. God bless you and your family.

alleyoop
06-17-2016, 02:26 PM
My buddy who passed last month had agreements in place to sell many of his upon his passing. By that I mean he had friends and family who had agreed to a set price for certain guns, he then logged who wanted what by serial number and what they had agreed to pay so all his wife and I had to do was look at his ledger and follow his instructions. Of course there was the chance some one would change their mind. In which case he had asked me to handle selling them and any which he had not pre sold.

Huskerguy
06-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Bonz

Sorry to hear about your news. I found your account interesting as I was diagnosed with a second highly unusual lung disease a year and half ago and during the process of treatment for the first one they found a spot on my liver. The second lung disease carries a 50%/10 year survival rate. So I can relate to the question.

You likely have a pretty good idea what they are all worth. I keep a spreadsheet on the computer with all information about every firearm - when purchased, where, how much, accessories added, current value (my estimate of what I wold take for it). I at least have it all on paper to show anyone. My wife shoots but I would not call her an avid shooter so I would ask her if she wanted to keep any firearms like the two I purchased for her on mothers day :) I would decide which lot of firearms the kids might want and let them select from that lot. The rest would either go to a good local auction (I have seen guns bring way more than their current value, never less) or I would get with a LGS and see what kind of deal he would make me. In any case, the FFL piece would be taken care of. I do have a friend who has slobbered over a Winchester rifle I have and I said to him and my wife that if I go before him (he is 8 years older) then he gets it. Write things down, we just do not know how quickly things can go south on us with our health.

I guess above all, whatever you can do to relieve stress on you and your wife seems most prudent. That was and would be my focus. I have told my bride of 43 years I just don't want to leave a bunch of stuff for her to mess with. After all, it is all just "stuff" and has little value compared to life. My wife would be happy if she could move everything in a single pickup load which definitely is not happening right now. I have two kids who both have the handguns I have given them. Over the years I use the excuse of evening things out when I purchase a firearm. I have two AR's, two Dan's, two single sixes, etc., always thinking if I did not need the money the kids would just take turns picking from each group. They couldn't go wrong.

From my experience of working with others in your position, the more simplified you can make your life the better. If things progress in a negative way, you will have plenty to worry about. Stay focused on being positive and pray for your healing. The reality is none of us knows how much time we have.

Big Boomer
06-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Bonz: Sorry to read here about your battles. Cancer is almost inevitable and I have three separate battles going - thyroid, stomach/esophagus, and prostate. If cancer doesn't get us, something else will. When my wife and I built our house, I had a separate man cave built into the basement. My son and I are the only ones with a key to the reloading room. Everything in the reloading room and surrounding area are his. I even made a separate listing of the firearms, powders, and all things pertaining thereto like the thousands of lbs. of lead, etc., will all be his. If I did not have a son interested in shooting, reloading, bullet casting, etc., I would put my "stuff" on the market for sure. Hope things work out for you. Best wishes. Big Boomer

funnyjim014
06-18-2016, 10:06 PM
You bought them to injoy...when u no longer injoy them , send them on there way and find something that makes you happy. Life is too short to be happy latter on and every day looking down at the grass instead of up at it should be lived to its full potential. Just my 2cts. Good luck and hope every thing goes well

Geraldo
06-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Bonz, I offer my prayers and a few suggestions.

-My main worry about getting older is making reloading mistakes. Make sure your meds don't mess up your concentration.
-Your wife can liquidate your guns without an FFL. It's mentioned in the "who needs an FFL" section on the ATF site.
-A friend of mine once sold guns for a widow. He talked to her about prices as neither wanted it to go on forever and they priced them accordingly. All he asked was first chance at anything he liked. You probably have a friend or relative who could do this for you.
-Finally about medical care. When the time comes for all of us to make the decisions you're facing, we shouldn't write ourselves off but we should be realistic. Palliative care may be your best option. It's not hospice, it's about treating you in a way that keeps you doing what you want as long as possible.

Half Dog
06-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Along with everyone here, I am sorry to hear about your declining health.

I have witnessed several events to financially help others on this board and I feel that listing your items here would get a better response for your wife.

myg30
06-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Charles, My prayers to you and your family. God is with you always.
I just had an esophagectomy this Christmas. Cancer seems to be affecting everyone I know or speak to. Thought I was an exception till this came up.
Before my surgery I made a list and priced everything so my wife could at least know a value and have an idea where to start if I didn't survive since this all happened so fast.
There are many rodents out there that can take advantage of a grieving spouse at a time when there thinking is limited.

God Bless, Mike

44man
06-19-2016, 11:49 AM
I pray for many here and you have mine too. So sad to see dear friends with trouble even though far apart. DON'T sell, leave them to your wife and family. My friends all have dibs on my guns and will not cheat Carol. But I might outlive most anyway.
Now I do have a problem, my daughter is last in line so all I own must never go to the state so I need to talk to her about leaving to the NRA and maybe a children's hospital. Shriner's or Danny Thomas comes to mind. Maybe for cancer too.
But to sell myself to prepare for death is not in the cards. I have too much to do yet. To get rid of your love only adds to your demise. It is like losing the best dog ever, don't do it.

jonp
06-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear of your health problems, charles. If it were meid take stock of the firearms and equipment I shoot and the safe queens and pass on the queens to people that will shoot and appreciate them. The rest id shoot as often as possible and as long as I could then start selling.
Another option would be to wait as long as possible then sell all of your collection in one batch. There are several places that buy whole collections.
Praying for your health

JimB..
11-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Intentionally bumping an old thread.

I haven't seen posted elsewhere on the site that Vic has passed away. His guns were split up as he wished with a few being sold. His reloading, casting and swaging equipment ended up in a big pile in the corner of the garage and a great many parts were thrown into the dumpster as his wife was preparing to sell the house. To her great relief I paid what she was asking for what was left and am in the process of buying a bunch of small parts to get the presses working. Have also sorted more than 20 buckets of brass and tens of thousands of bullets.

I've never swaged bullets, so had no idea of the value of the dies, might just have to give her some more money when I see her in Chicago next month.

I don't know that it's possible to avoid leaving a mess for a spouse, but I think that he'd be happy with the outcome and I know that Carole is.

Anyway, I knew that he'd been a member here, but didn't know his user name until I came across a post of his while searching for information on an Ultimate Cannelure Tool.

For anyone that may be interested:
http://www.gaskinservices.com/book-of-memories/2825610/agriesti-vic/obituary.php

popper
11-06-2017, 06:30 PM
JimB Thanks for the obit and helping the family of a member. We often know nothing of the members here, what they do/did/etc.

texasnative46
11-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Bonz,

FIRST, our BEST WISHES & a SPEEDY RECOVERY to you from "D" & I.

The decision that I've made is to turn my several collections of "things of significant value" (guns, autographed books, fishing/camping gear, swords, coins, etc.) is to direct that "D" & my adult daughter can "cherry pick" my collections for up to 30 days after my passing.
(Each of them have a few personal items that they want to keep forever & have "worked it out" between the 2 of them.)

After that, all of my collections go to a local San Antonio auction house, that is "well regarded" to be sold "at public cry".

After the auction, 75% of the net proceeds go to "D" & the other 25% passes to my daughter.
(On "D's passing", as we have no other "near family", my daughter receives the bulk of our joint estate, less a bequest to my boarding school.)

yours, tex

JimB..
11-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Bonz,

FIRST, our BEST WISHES & a SPEEDY RECOVERY to you from "D" & I.

The decision that I've made is to turn my several collections of "things of significant value" (guns, autographed books, fishing/camping gear, swords, coins, etc.) is to direct that "D" & my adult daughter can "cherry pick" my collections for up to 30 days after my passing.
(Each of them have a few personal items that they want to keep forever & have "worked it out" between the 2 of them.)

After that, all of my collections go to a local San Antonio auction house, that is "well regarded" to be sold "at public cry".

After the auction, 75% of the net proceeds go to "D" & the other 25% passes to my daughter.
(On "D's passing", as we have no other "near family", my daughter receives the bulk of our joint estate, less a bequest to my boarding school.)

yours, tex

Well Tex, you may well hear back from Bonz (aka Vic, aka Charles) but I doubt it’ll be on the forum. He passed in January, I was just letting folks know since I hadn’t seen it mentioned by anyone.

texasnative46
11-06-2017, 09:26 PM
JimB,

Nobody bothered to inform me. = THANKS for the update.

yours, tex

MaryB
11-06-2017, 10:01 PM
For anyone facing this, I have done this fr 2 ham radio friends who had huge radio collections. When they knew time was short we sat down with their wife and priced everything online then subtracted 20% fora starting price with the caveat that some stuff may sell cheap because the market had shifted on that particular radio. In both cases I got within 4% of the prices we looked up by selling direct on forums, on ebay, and in person. Everyone knew in advance so no hard feelings if stuff didn't sell for top prices, the wives were not shocked by a 3 month old $5,000 radio selling for only $3800 because it was used and not new in the box...

I won't do it again, it is a LOT of hard work and I do not have that kind of energy anymore!

GhostHawk
11-06-2017, 10:19 PM
I think every gun I own has been a labor of love in some way or another.
Seeing them sold to some stranger, just does not sit right with me.

I would rather give them to someone. Preferably my grandchildren. But if not them, anyone with an interest.

I am 65, could go tommorow, could last another 30 years. No way to tell.
But I don't see myself selling off my guns. YMMV. And who knows, time changes much. I may change that opinion. But at this point I am still buying guns. Although I am slowing down.

texasnative46
11-06-2017, 10:28 PM
MaryB,

In any case, you did a GOOD DEED for a silent key's lady.

Regards & 73 de tex

dverna
11-06-2017, 10:35 PM
For anyone facing this, I have done this fr 2 ham radio friends who had huge radio collections. When they knew time was short we sat down with their wife and priced everything online then subtracted 20% fora starting price with the caveat that some stuff may sell cheap because the market had shifted on that particular radio. In both cases I got within 4% of the prices we looked up by selling direct on forums, on ebay, and in person. Everyone knew in advance so no hard feelings if stuff didn't sell for top prices, the wives were not shocked by a 3 month old $5,000 radio selling for only $3800 because it was used and not new in the box...

I won't do it again, it is a LOT of hard work and I do not have that kind of energy anymore!

Good for you girl!

A friend of mine has asked me to help his wife when he passes. He has put together an inventory and estimated value. For my "trouble" he has gifted me his Sliver Sietz but I will not take it. When the time comes, it will be sold and I will give the proceeds to his widow.

For those of you without children or grandchildren interested in your hobbies, it is wise to plan and find a person you can trust. Most spouses have no idea of the value of our toys.

texasnative46
11-06-2017, 10:49 PM
dverna,

In many cases, it's good for "marital harmony" to NOT tell her/him about the prices.

yours, satx

WILCO
11-07-2017, 01:23 AM
We are temporal keepers of "Things". Hate when the life spark goes out.

Rcmaveric
11-07-2017, 04:07 AM
Sad times when a brother passes. Rest in piece. I am glad there was good friends there to help. When my Grandpa passed, my uncle pawned his guns and didn't tell the family. Grandma blames my uncle and my uncle blames grandma. I would have paid 3 times their value if they needed the money just have those guns but I was deployed and they didn't mention it.

Reverend Al
11-07-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm facing a high risk heart surgery next year which I've postponed temporarily so that I can make sure that my affairs are in reasonable order for my wife just in case. I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I have quite a few duplicates in my gun collection plus guns that I bought at the right price planning to re-sell later so I will downsize those "extra" pieces now and bring my current inventory list up to date with current approximate market values. I am lucky in that I have a couple of very trustworthy friends who would help my wife out if she had to deal with liquidating my estate, but I'll try to reduce the excess in advance and just keep my prized possessions. I just feel that it is the reasonable thing to do ...

AK Caster
11-07-2017, 06:58 PM
JimB,

Nobody bothered to inform me. = THANKS for the update.

yours, tex

All you had to do was read post #66, 2 posts before you were wishing him well wishes.

kingstrider
11-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Prayers sent Charles! I can't imagine being in your position but am sure I will be as well one of these days.

lefty o
11-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Good for you girl!

A friend of mine has asked me to help his wife when he passes. He has put together an inventory and estimated value. For my "trouble" he has gifted me his Sliver Sietz but I will not take it. When the time comes, it will be sold and I will give the proceeds to his widow.

For those of you without children or grandchildren interested in your hobbies, it is wise to plan and find a person you can trust. Most spouses have no idea of the value of our toys.

a silver sietz is one heck of a gift. should bring $10,000+ on a very bad day.

bstone5
11-07-2017, 09:01 PM
I started last month by giving each of my two sons 14 lond guns each. I am 72 and thought they could use them now and not once after I passed. Each got a M1 Grand, a M1 Carbine, muzzle loaders, bolt action rifles I had put together and a few shot guns. I am down to 8 long guns, one for deer hunting, two muzzle loaders and a AR-15 and a few 22 rifles I have built for bench rest shooting.
It is funny how fast we get old, well maybe I can hunt for a few more years.

MaryB
11-08-2017, 12:25 AM
I was supposed to keep an FT-1000 Yaesu radio($1200) and the other a Yaesu FT-2000($1600) for myself. I refused and instead told them some of the antenna cable that would have ended up being scrapped for copper was fine since I can always use it and am using it. Stuff that would be hard to find a local buyer for and impossible to ship(7/8" heliax doesn't roll well without a machine). All under 100' pieces so not many could use them but none of my towers are over 35' so perfect for my use.

Good for you girl!