PDA

View Full Version : ML lost a great friend

Boz330
06-15-2016, 08:38 AM
For any of you that have been to the Creedmore line at Friendship you probably met Steve Swallow. He passed away at Friendship last Saturday and will be sorely missed. Steve was a great spotter and willingly shared his knowledge. I was looking forward to picking his brain this year after he helped me out last fall. If Steve told you to make an adjustment for wind or mirage, you could take it to the bank. Steve and our own 451 Pete were long time friends and spent countless hours mentoring the youth shooters at Friendship.
There is a write up on him here; https://www.facebook.com/NMLRA/?fref=ts

Bob

rfd
06-16-2016, 05:31 AM
sad news for all, indeed. thank you for sharing.

jjarrell
06-16-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm not old, but I am getting older. Im only 45. I'm starting so see men I looked up to as a youngster and thought were made of iron pass. It really sucks and it keeps me up some nights thinking of the knowledge that went with them. Not to mention the simple fact of missing them. Our deer camp has dwindled because of it. Some of the older gentleman that we always looked forward to their stories around the fire are now gone. I think that's one of the things that makes my time around the fire with the ones that are left so special. I kinda try to wait on them and make sure their coffee is always hot and full. Make sure they get the fullest plate. Fetch things for them. And most of all I listen. That is the most sincere respect I can pay them. Learning from what they have to say. I think they've earned it and that's the way I was raised. It makes me feel good too.

Boz330
06-17-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm not old, but I am getting older. Im only 45. I'm starting so see men I looked up to as a youngster and thought were made of iron pass. It really sucks and it keeps me up some nights thinking of the knowledge that went with them. Not to mention the simple fact of missing them. Our deer camp has dwindled because of it. Some of the older gentleman that we always looked forward to their stories around the fire are now gone. I think that's one of the things that makes my time around the fire with the ones that are left so special. I kinda try to wait on them and make sure their coffee is always hot and full. Make sure they get the fullest plate. Fetch things for them. And most of all I listen. That is the most sincere respect I can pay them. Learning from what they have to say. I think they've earned it and that's the way I was raised. It makes me feel good too.

I'm the older guy you are talking about except I use to be you. Doesn't seem that too many in the younger generations care to be in deer camp anymore. I have hunted the same farm since 1977 and unfortunately many of my peers have passed on. To me deer camp isn't about shooting deer as much as camaraderie and friends. My long time hunting and shooting buddy (since high school) passed 2 years ago. We were in deer camp every weekend from the middle of Oct to the middle of Dec. If it was nasty weather we drank coffee or beer and told lies.

Bob

heelerau
06-20-2016, 09:33 AM
I guess now to am the older bloke, and many I knew and admired are long gone. Hopefully I will get to pass on what they taught me to the next generation. At 55 I still like to sit and listen to my remaining elders, they have seen the elephant and heard the owl. Bless them all.

DIRT Farmer
06-21-2016, 12:17 AM
A few years back I met Steve, I was helping teach a basic M/L class just before the fall shoot. Steve was on the line letting the students take a shot each. He ask if I had ever shot a L/R rifle, I had not. Steve loaded a round and set the sights, first shot at 500, less than 6 inches from center with his whitworth. It is not the shooter but the spotter.
Steve was the cook in his group and a darned good one. I have been invited to many a good meal in the L/R camp. a high honor for a shotgunner
Farewell friend