PDA

View Full Version : WRA .38 Special Brass

metricmonkeywrench
06-14-2016, 11:43 AM
I recently received a bag of .38 special brass as part of a trade, in amongst the Federal and CBC brass is a box+ worth of REM-UMC brass and a box+ of WRA brass. As seen in the pictures the brass has some strange factory markings. I assume the knurled line is the point where a wad-cutter would end up but the two additional lines are a mystery. From the head stamp I date the brass to be from the 40~50's. Is anyone familiar with this brass and original loading?

Also a concern before I use them for reloading is the "step" at the base of the brass down by the web, it is on every single piece of this brass in the exact same place. Has anyone seen this before and know if that is the way it was made and if not what could cause it? As it was de-primed when I got it and not knowing the history of the brass I believe it is either a sizing error or possibly a sign of overpressure. Our plans are to section off a piece and see what the profile of the base of the case looks like for signs of damage before loading or condemning them as unsafe to use.

bob208
06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
i have seen those marks before. so i dont think it is a sizing mistake. you are right about the wadcutter loading.

wcp4570
06-15-2016, 08:39 AM
The brass you show was originally loaded with wadcutter bullets. I think all wadcutter ammo has the 2 lines around the brass. I think the brass is thinner to not cause a bulge when the bullet is seated deeper. I've loaded that brass as I would any other and have never had any problems.

wcp

wcp4570
07-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Here is an older thread with a lot of comments and discussion about wadcutter brass. I remember reading it a couple years ago and had to do a search to find it again, its a good read. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?156622-75-000-Wadcutters-in-a-Model-27

wcp