PDA

View Full Version : Laser Sight

jim4065
05-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Don't really know much about these, never had one before but I've shot my brothers Glock with a red laser a few times. So I bought a green one on eBay. Should be here in a week or so.

My question is: Can I really expect the green laser to be useful to 25 yards in sunlight? I was told that green has more range than red, but don't see how (or why) this should be. I paid a lot more for the green - and should have asked first. Buyers Remorse already?

Do I need to get a red laser to compare them or has someone else here done that?

44man
05-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I understand the green is visible in daylight. That would be my choice too. I had a red one and it just can't be seen during the day unless the target is reflective.
I made the mistake of putting it on my .475 [smilie=1: I turned it into scrap metal!
The one thing I have against them is the cost, I don't know why they are so expensive, diodes are dirt cheap but someone has a lock on the laser diodes.
By the way, the Luxeon has dropped in price so I bought the kit for my Mini Mag light. All I can say is WOW! The little thing lights my whole backyard and a deer's eyes look like headlights at 200 yd's.
I also bought the blood tracker light from Cabela's that uses two Luxeons and it is tremendously bright. I can't wait to try it. Have to kill something! :mrgreen:

jim4065
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
The green laser is absolutely great. I can see it at 108 yards in bright sun (house wall down the street - distance by rangefinder). The people I got it from were classicsplussports on ebay. When the pressure switch wouldn't work they mailed a replacement without any "return the broken one first" crap.

Don't have a Luxeon but bought a "Tactical" LED direct from China that is very tightly focused and bright enough to hurt your eyes. Got it for about a third of the cost of a good light here - just hope it holds up. Hadn't heard of the Blood Tracker - so kill (or wound) something so we can get a report on it! Even an Armadillo oughta do.......... :-D

Boerrancher
06-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I have used both green and red lasers. The green is far superior to the red, for daylight use. Though just like the red, don't get into a shoot out in the fog, or smoke because then the entire beam stands out like a sore thumb, and points the way right back to the shooter.

I did use the FireStorm tactical LED lights while in Afghanistan. I will say that IMHO they work better in a low light room for target acquisition than a laser does. If the light is aligned with the bore it works well as a point and shoot sighting device. I am just waiting until they shrink them a bit more so that they are flush with the muzzle of my subcompact 45.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe