PDA

View Full Version : Serves me right....

DerekP Houston
06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
I complained about the heat all weekend and delayed doing chores. Compressor crapped out today and the whole house is 85f now! Hopefully it is a minor fix and not an overhaul.

sparky45
06-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Ouch!! Pray the refrigerator hangs in there.

osteodoc08
06-13-2016, 06:51 PM
It's been very hot here in GA. Hottest few days of the year so far. Hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-13-2016, 07:18 PM
Nasty hot here, saw the thermometer at 97° today, and, it is dry as a bone. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Leon

DerekP Houston
06-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Repair man called, wife and kiddo off to a hotel. I think it is time for a cold beer. Eta "5-9pm" hopefully something easy and I just missed it, I'm guilty of neglecting the unit. Window unit in the living room is keeping me sane and thankfully the sun is setting soon. Thanks for letting me vent yall.

GRUMPA
06-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Had the compressor go out a few years back. Now get this.....a spider of all things was walking along the circuit board and touched the right 2 contacts and fried the system.

Now....living on solar A/C is out of the question. Swamp cooling is all we have around here and right now it's 65 in the house and 87 outside. What really bites is the humid season when it just wont cool as well and the humidity goes through the roof.

Skunk1
06-13-2016, 10:11 PM
After tomorrow, we are looking at 100 degree days for a week. Hope your AC gets fixed.

DerekP Houston
06-13-2016, 10:14 PM
As of now it has been determined Bubba installed my ac unit. Multiple errors found even though I paid for 2 seperate inspections....

Hopeful he will have us functional with a simple on/off switch until the replacement circuit board arrives. Could be worse.

DerekP Houston
06-13-2016, 11:35 PM
Wallet empty, but house is cold works for me. That'll keep me out of S&S for a few weeks at least.

osteodoc08
06-14-2016, 12:16 AM
Wallet empty, but house is cold works for me. That'll keep me out of S&S for a few weeks at least.

What was the culprit?

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 12:19 AM
What was the culprit?

"self install" or shade tree mechanic job. Both cutoffs were bypassed, one disconnected entirely; the power cord looks like they sliced a lamp cord on and ran it; thermostat wires not connected properly at the exchange; no surge protector installed; controller board faulty power jump......

He earned his money and a tip I'm a happy camper. Just shows I should've called for a "tune up" back when I thought about it instead of just assuming everything was running fine.

osteodoc08
06-14-2016, 06:29 AM
"self install" or shade tree mechanic job. Both cutoffs were bypassed, one disconnected entirely; the power cord looks like they sliced a lamp cord on and ran it; thermostat wires not connected properly at the exchange; no surge protector installed; controller board faulty power jump......

He earned his money and a tip I'm a happy camper. Just shows I should've called for a "tune up" back when I thought about it instead of just assuming everything was running fine.

Wow! Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise and now you'll have a cool home to come home to instead of a pile of ashes!

OS OK
06-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Hindsight is 20-20 Derek! I remember growing up there, when the weather was hot and humid...wheew!...turn on the old A/C and...oh, wait, we didn't have no stinking A/C...we had an attic fan instead. Beds were always centered on the nearest window in the room instead of the way they look now with nightstands and lamps and all.
One year we got a single window unit, cheap hang it out the window type A/C. It was a novelty mostly. The whole family tried to sleep in one bedroom once when it was brutal high temps. Dad started farting and thought that was funny...ran me and my sisters out of the room back into the heat...came close to killing Pops that night!
Remember many a night getting out of the shower, fresh and clean and into bed only to lay there on the sheets sweating and creating damp bedding...put the box fan on you and then freeze to death...sometimes there's just no in-between or compromise...only misery and tired to boot!

Aaaah...the 'good ole days!'

buckwheatpaul
06-14-2016, 06:46 AM
I complained about the heat all weekend and delayed doing chores. Compressor crapped out today and the whole house is 85f now! Hopefully it is a minor fix and not an overhaul.

Derek, I feel your pain....our compressor went south last Friday....wont get the new one until Thurs.......$2,850.00 to fix.....I spend a lot of time in the man cave with the window ac.....or go to the pool.....good luck brother!

Taylor
06-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Last summer for me.My man told me the year before,it ain't gonna make it another season.He was right.First the fan..$286.Then the compressor.

He saw that I had my truck up for sale.Unit and install for pick-up,and haul away the old one.I kept the new fan as it fits the new unit.

mold maker
06-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Twice I've had a failure because of insects getting in the relay. It burns the contacts beyond use, and there is no replacing just the points.

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Derek, I feel your pain....our compressor went south last Friday....wont get the new one until Thurs.......$2,850.00 to fix.....I spend a lot of time in the man cave with the window ac.....or go to the pool.....good luck brother!

We are luckily up and running again same day, the window unit was running all day to try and keep up. Let me know if you need to borrow it and you're near Houston, that was miserable! I'm scheduling with him to come back and fix us up properly will probably run around 700-800 for parts + labor. Considering we didn't have any major failures or fire I think I got off easy, just a gentle reminder from the big man to stop buying toys and pay attention.

OS OK
06-14-2016, 10:50 AM
You goes to work every day, put up with the guff, draw your pay, faithfully bring it home and sidestep the watering hole...get home kiss the wife, start on her 'honeydoos', change caps putting on the maintenance guys hat...do all that, don't forget to play at gardener and do the lawn, fix the sprinklers, go looking for where the kids left the hammer...take out the garbage...then..."Aaaaah-gotterdone!"...turn and look at the loading bench with a big smile of relief only to find it covered in cobwebs. GRrrrr...the wife hollers...."breakfast honey, you don't want to be late to work..."

What.............huh?...:bigsmyl2:

Pine Baron
06-14-2016, 10:56 AM
OS, ain't it the truth brother.

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 11:15 AM
You goes to work every day, put up with the guff, draw your pay, faithfully bring it home and sidestep the watering hole...get home kiss the wife, start on her 'honeydoos', change caps putting on the maintenance guys hat...do all that, don't forget to play at gardener and do the lawn, fix the sprinklers, go looking for where the kids left the hammer...take out the garbage...then..."Aaaaah-gotterdone!"...turn and look at the loading bench with a big smile of relief only to find it covered in cobwebs. GRrrrr...the wife hollers...."breakfast honey, you don't want to be late to work..."

What.............huh?...:bigsmyl2:

LMAO don't you know it....my new LnL keeps giving me the stink eye for not playing with it. We know getting into it this was a "starter house" and would need repairs so I set aside the appropriate emergency funds. Just funny it always seems to happen when I buy myself a new bauble or trinket, like I said I think it was the big man smackin me on the head. At least I get to learn all of these tips now! If ya'll know of any other "regular" maintenance that a new home owner typically overlooks I'd be happy to hear them, this is our first house and its only been 2 years. Gotta start somewhere.

That reminds me......I broke a sprinkler head 3 weeks back that still needs replacing as well. Joys of home ownership!