PDA

View Full Version : my computer's latest quirk

bubba.50
06-13-2016, 03:48 PM
I do believe this demon-spawn etch-a-sketch/abacus of mine stays up nights thinkin' of ways to vex me. it's latest trick is when i click on pix or links or vids in other people's posts it puts them up behind the screen I'm lookin' at & the only I can see them is to temporarily collapse the screen.

don't really expect any deep thoughts or solutions to this, just ventin' a bit so I can go another day without shootin' this thing full of holes. y'all have a good'en friends, bubba.

woodbutcher
06-13-2016, 04:49 PM
:twisted: Hi Bubba.A friend had a problem with his laptop.Could`nt solve it.And he was no stranger to computers and trouble shooting.He got really PO`d at it one day and cured it.Took it to the back yard and threw it on the ground.
Then loaded a 100 rnd drum in his THOMPSON and that fixed the problem.Did`nt disturb the neighbors either.His closest neighbor is over a half mile away.Hehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

OS OK
06-13-2016, 04:54 PM
Check the tab preferences you may have 'links' set to open in a separate window instead of new tab.

xs11jack
06-13-2016, 07:48 PM
No low down, no good for nothing, rotten, miserable, useless, piece of junk computer is worth wasting good ammo on. 10 lb splitting maul will do the trick.
Ole Jack

woodbutcher
06-14-2016, 02:11 PM
:smile:Hi xs.For my friend its just practice.His casting and sizing and loading set up is all automatic.He casts about 80 pounds of boolits at a time for 9mm,45acp.,308 and 30-06.Loading is all automatic also,as is sizing and lubing.All of the above cals are rattle guns.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

bubba.50
06-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Check the tab preferences you may have 'links' set to open in a separate window instead of new tab.

I truly appreciate the attempt at help but, what you wrote may as well have been in Arabic or Swahili so little is my understanding of computers & how they work. tellin' me how to do somethin' don't work. I'm the type that needs somebody beside him to guide me through step by step while I practice & take notes. try to tell me how to do somethin', you might as well be talkin' to a slow-in-the-head 5 year old.

but I do appreciate it.

w5pv
06-14-2016, 04:05 PM
I am on your side bubba.50

OS OK
06-14-2016, 04:35 PM
I truly appreciate the attempt at help but, what you wrote may as well have been in Arabic or Swahili so little is my understanding of computers & how they work. tellin' me how to do somethin' don't work. I'm the type that needs somebody beside him to guide me through step by step while I practice & take notes. try to tell me how to do somethin', you might as well be talkin' to a slow-in-the-head 5 year old.

but I do appreciate it.

Hey bubba...Don't get it in your noggin that ole OK knows something about computers...I'm dumber than a box of blonde hammers! I discovered that lil-tip by accident.
I'm with you..."show me, don't tell me!" I had to buy a 1" thick book to use this Mac...most of the time it might as well be written in Latin...just another reason I thank God for my patient natured Daughter Niki!

bubba.50
06-14-2016, 06:22 PM
yeh OK, my daughter was my IT person too. then the li'l' dickens got married & moved a few towns away. still gets over about once a week or so but, would take her whole visit if I started unloadin' my little problems on her & mom would never get a word in edge-wise.

Oh, and I bought one of those books too. full of the same terms I already didn't understand so, it ended up in the closet with the rest of my useless junk.

OS OK
06-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Don't sell the daughter short...being a computer genius, she can multitask, talk with Mom, send text, eyeball everyone in the room, talk on the phone, chew gum, tap dance and scratch...all at the same time.
Don't feel guilty about tossing the computer in there with the rest of it! Pop needs time too!

Traffer
06-14-2016, 09:00 PM
I had a friend back in 1993 who owned a computer company. I kept bugging him about how to do stuff. He finally got tired of it and told me to learn for myself. So I started looking up things on AltaVista (Before Google). I had my own computer business since 1997 including having a CompTia A+ Certification for PC Tech. It is all there on the internet. You can learn anything now from you chair at home. There are some real advantages to living in this age. I used to tell people that God invented computers to give me something to play with. The biggest thing I can tell people is DON'T BE AFRAID OF SCREWING IT UP. IT IS JUST A STINKING COMPUTER, or Toy if that helps you out.

randyrat
06-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Don't feel bad I tried to post some pics of my new 45 and targets
, best I have ever seen and now my PC at home won't let me access cast bolts.
i can only access it if off my WFi on my phone using cell data
It will last about a week and I'll get back on.

randyrat
06-14-2016, 09:33 PM
HAMMER time

i think I need a new PC and for sure a new
Router

500MAG
06-14-2016, 09:42 PM
I went to an iPad and never looked back.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-14-2016, 11:03 PM
Bubba,
shut it down and do a restart....many times that will fix tiny problems that arrise.

claude
06-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Bubba, JonB could be right. Shut it off, unplug the cord from the wall and wait about a minute, then plug it in and start it again.

fiberoptik
06-15-2016, 09:57 PM
The demon is called "Windows"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bubba.50
06-16-2016, 03:31 PM
while I truly appreciate the attempts to help, y'all vastly misunderestimate how disunderstandin' I can be whenever the witchcraft of these demon-seed machines is involved.

but I'm happy to say that after a couple days of ignorin' it best I could the evil thing gave up & went back to it's normal vexin' self.

y'all have a good'en, bubba.

OS OK
06-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Well...dat jes tickles the spit out me to har dat. Ya'll enjoy yar demon...ok......OS OK

victorfox
06-18-2016, 09:57 PM
FiberOptic no, God made the man, man made the computer and the devil gave windows code to Gates...
I spent most of my college time time fixing computers and make sort of a living that way... Have to thank windows for being so bad (thankfully I moved to Linux in 1998)....

bob208
06-20-2016, 06:03 PM
year and a half ago i bought a new hp laptop. well it was never reailly right from the get go. had them on line severial times they said it was fixed. i call back in 2 days said fix it againhow about i send it back to you. no we can fix it online. well after the last six months of it shuting down and restarting evey 30 min. it hit the floor hard. now i am using an old dell laptop with xp. only problem is it is slow and does not have spell check. so my spelling in the posts has taken a downward turn.