PDA

View Full Version : Loading for rifle....

Bad Karma
05-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Although I have been casting for 15 years my experience with loading rifle ammo is very limited. I almost exclusively load cast boolits for pistol. The exception is my .22 Hornet. Anyway, I want to know what a good filler is for loads using medium pistol powder. I read that dacron is used or polyfill. I am looking for a ecconomical way to make a bunch of rifle ammo.
I like shooting .32 caliber wadcutters out of my .308 using about 6.0gr of Unique for a nice little 25m plinker. I don't use any filler but still get good groups. My Dad used corn meal but I think that gets mixed into the powder and can cause irratic burning rates.

mooman76
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
There are lots of things you can use. I have used the Dacron and it does ok. I've even use drier lint and it seemed to work about the same as the dacron

dromia
05-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Personally I'm not a big fan of fillers and find that I rarely need them other than in BP loads to take up air space.

On the white powder occasions when I do, I use carded wool or kapok because thats what I have.

As Moonman says Dacron seems to be the standard in use these days.

Remember to add the weight of your filler to the boolit weight in your load calculations

Bad Karma
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Personally I'm not a big fan of fillers and find that I rarely need them other than in BP loads to take up air space.

On the white powder occasions when I do, I use carded wool or kapok because thats what I have.

As Moonman says Dacron seems to be the standard in use these days.

Remember to add the weight of your filler to the boolit weight in your load calculations

Yes. I think that fillers are a pain but important to keep the charge on top of the primer, especially with medium burning pistol powders. BTW, love the Scottish flag! My whole family is from "the old country" It's just me and my Mom here in the US.

leftiye
05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
They protect the base of the boolit too (at least COW does).

testhop
05-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Although I have been casting for 15 years my experience with loading rifle ammo is very limited. I almost exclusively load cast boolits for pistol. The exception is my .22 Hornet. Anyway, I want to know what a good filler is for loads using medium pistol powder. I read that dacron is used or polyfill. I am looking for a ecconomical way to make a bunch of rifle ammo.
I like shooting .32 caliber wadcutters out of my .308 using about 6.0gr of Unique for a nice little 25m plinker. I don't use any filler but still get good groups. My Dad used corn meal but I think that gets mixed into the powder and can cause irratic burning rates.

testhop here if you wish to try kopoc shoot me a address and i will sent you some to try