PDA

View Full Version : Done

WFO2
06-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Man just got done casting it is 12:30 here in Central Texas and I'm hot as heck. Think I will make it a winter activity from now on ,

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Man just got done casting it is 12:30 here in Central Texas and I'm hot as heck. Think I will make it a winter activity from now on ,

OMG you stuck it out way too long. I stepped outside around 10 and it felt like a sauna. IIRC you have a little less humidity near Austin but not by much. I'm going to clean up my patio and pack up the casting gear for the summer, no point letting it get covered in dust and dirt. Between the heat and the mosquitoes that is just not my idea of a fun time. Then again...winter in Texas is the 2 weeks in February so I better have enough to last.

Dusty Bannister
06-12-2016, 01:57 PM
When I lived in Round Rock, I usually cast early morning. Pretty pleasant at that time of day.
Noon-ish, yes, shade, and a breeze and nothing to make heat sounds pretty good.

runfiverun
06-12-2016, 02:15 PM
well it's just after noon here and the thermometer is hovering around the 55-f mark.

I'd have to warm the shop up a bit to go out there and cast, if it looks like rain this afternoon I might just go do that.

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 02:22 PM
well it's just after noon here and the thermometer is hovering around the 55-f mark.

I'd have to warm the shop up a bit to go out there and cast, if it looks like rain this afternoon I might just go do that.

What is "warm up"? We never turn the heat on here ;).

OS OK
06-12-2016, 02:25 PM

I was up there in 95 in Idaho Springs contracting out at INEL (think that's the acronym) witnessed for the first time 'high velocity sideways snow'. It never collected anywhere to speak of, where does it go?
Most of the work was outside where we replaced underground stowage tanks and added new Gilbarco tank monitoring eqpt. and lightning protection. The boys I got from the IBEW were the most tenacious hard working fellas I ever saw, especially when wind factor was -40* below, thought I'd end up a popsicle!
Never passed through Soda Springs...where's that?

WFO2
06-12-2016, 02:32 PM
I hear you but my 429421 was dropping really pretty and I just kept adding lead to the pot .Done for the summer for sure tho . Got a headache and hydrating like a wild man .

remy3424
06-12-2016, 02:43 PM
The older I get the less I tolerate the heat...here in Iowa we are pushing 100 degrees. Hard to get fired up for any outdoor activities. Good news is that these temps are about to change for us.

runfiverun
06-12-2016, 03:52 PM
we are south and east of INEL.
up in the mountains.

on a map go 40 miles up from Utah and west 40 miles from Wyoming.
that'll get you about right.

that snow you seen down there in the lowlands blows up here and stops on the back side of those mountains you seen to the east.
I have seen it snow 3-4 feet in a couple of hours.
it generally starts in October and goes off and on then it just adds another inch or more every day from @ mid dec. to mid jan. just to make sure it sticks.

i'll go down and shoot until the wind gets going or untill it gets much below minus-20.
I usually start wearing long john bottoms when it gets to about 0-f and a hoodie under my coat and over a tee-shirt at about the same time.

OS OK
06-12-2016, 04:00 PM
If I were with you on a day like that...I'd look like the little brother on Christmas story!

bilco
06-12-2016, 04:17 PM
About to do the same thing here but in Florida. Just waiting for the mold to catch up to the pot on the hotplate...

Scharfschuetze
06-12-2016, 04:22 PM
I was stationed in Central Texas (probably near the OP) at Fort Hood after I came back from VN. I couldn't tell much difference between the two places during the summer in Texas or the dry season in Asia.

You're to be commended for sticking it out until finished with those boolits.

WFO2
06-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Don't know about commended the wife used a whole different set of nouns and pronouns .However she did offer to buy a window unit for the shed .I think it is because I was talking about taking out a window in my cave downstairs and putting an oven vent-a-hood in .

runfiverun
06-12-2016, 09:45 PM
well the rain got delayed until tomorrow I'd imagine.
so I got out after the ground squirrels and rock chucks.
now I have to clean and load some more 223 brass, the sun must have been in their eyes this evening cause they acted like I was invisible.
I shot 9 rock chucks off the same rock pile [never done that before] 3 off another, and finally got the big orange male I have been after for 2 years now.
I went through 200 rounds in just a couple of hours.
I finally come home after running out of ammo.

WFO2
06-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Nice shooting going out to our land in the morning and see if the hogs are about .

bstone5
06-12-2016, 11:23 PM
I went to the range this morning, hot with high humidity. Had to wipe off my face often.
Still was fun. Age is not my friend at 70.

Walter Laich
06-13-2016, 01:54 PM
I went to the range this morning, hot with high humidity. Had to wipe off my face often.
Still was fun. Age is not my friend at 70.
same here in Cypress (think NW Houston)
Looked at weather channel: 87* but feels like 97*. that is so true

shot cowboy yesterday and it was not as much fun as remembered last winter

runfiverun
06-13-2016, 02:29 PM
I come down to Texas to do some work last winter.
it was pretty nice weather, I got a chance to scoot down to corpus Christi and do a little fishing from the edge of a shipping channel [done pretty well too]
but it seemed like the temp was pretty much 65-70 all day and night.
I had been up in Oklahoma earlier in the summer and couldn't make it to work 2 days in a row.
I think it was 140-f and 200% humidity or pretty close to that anyway.
pretty stark contrast to coming home.

blikseme300
06-13-2016, 09:37 PM
Winter in Texas is nice, summer not so much depending where you are. In summer my casting sessions are short and I'm done by 10am. Reloading and other hobby tasks are done in my workshop which had an A/C fitted before the second summer rolled around.

DerekP Houston
06-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Heh, 65-70 *is* winter weather here in houston. I don't think the grass stopped growing this year even a day.

Geezer in NH
06-16-2016, 03:54 PM
70's is getting hot here in the White mountains of NH. Over 85 truly bad. I rather the cold winter than the heat for months.

WFO2
06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Amen to that looking at a window unit for the shed .

chutesnreloads
06-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Oh for crying out loud.....its Texas.Can't you at least wait until July to complain about the heat?It's actually been rather pleasant up until a few days ago

DerekP Houston
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Hey it's only 103f, barely cooking eggs on the pavement.

wills
06-16-2016, 05:54 PM
It was either winter or the monsoons (I couldn't tell which) just two weeks ago.