PDA

View Full Version : Slugging barrel slugs

kmw1954
06-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Questions as always.

Watched this video from youtube, both parts, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso and gave it a try.

Trying to come up with a slug for my 9mm but in this case I used a shell case for a 38spl. When I got the slug out of the shell case and measured it, it was only .350. Don't know what happened. The shell was sized and flared.

Is this video method a good way to do it or is there a better way?

Thanks guys!

Moonie
06-12-2016, 02:06 AM
Use an unsized fired 9mm case, fill it full. Be sure you use a micrometer not a caliper, they are not accurate enough.

jcren
06-12-2016, 02:45 AM
Stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few egg sinkers. Size 8 for 45, I don't remember the size I used for 38/380 and couldn't find the pack, but they are soft and work like a champ.

Dusty Bannister
06-12-2016, 09:45 AM
If the slug is small in diameter, place it on a smooth hard surface and tap with a hammer to shorten (and expand) the slug.

As to finding the slug undersized? Case wall thickness! Get the hammer and go for it.

kmw1954
06-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Thank for the responses. This is my 1st autoloader and have never done this procedure before. This video I linked shows him going from the muzzle, is this the correct way to do it?

Moonie
06-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Thank for the responses. This is my 1st autoloader and have never done this procedure before. This video I linked shows him going from the muzzle, is this the correct way to do it?

Ideally you would want to know if there is taper in the barrel, so slug both ends and all the way through.

kmw1954
06-12-2016, 12:15 PM
This may be a dumb question but have to ask. If there is a taper how would that be determined by going all the way thru? Wouldn't the slug be sized down to it's smallest diameter for either end?

Dusty Bannister
06-12-2016, 12:21 PM
If the slug measures smaller at either end, you have a taper. If there is a constriction in the middle of the barrel, it will begin the trip OK, but lose it when it passes the mid point. Sometimes resulting from poor cleaning practices from the muzzle and throat erosion by cordite or other "hot" powders in old military rifles. Just a good thing to check for.

44man
06-12-2016, 02:03 PM
The very best I found are ML RB's. I have a lot of sizes even though some guns are gone.
Sinkers are great if lead.
If a little too small, put a brass rod in both ends of the barrel and upset the slug. I can even do it with a revolver.

jcren
06-12-2016, 02:45 PM
This may be a dumb question but have to ask. If there is a taper how would that be determined by going all the way thru? Wouldn't the slug be sized down to it's smallest diameter for either end?

Push a slug from muzzle to chamber and one from chamber to muzzle. If tapered it will drive harder as bore tightens one way and easier as it loosens the other way. Constrictions will be rough spots. Well lubed slug should push with modest steady pressure once started.

blackthorn
06-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Find a drill bit just slightly larger than your barrel's interior diameter. Get a piece of half inch plywood. Drill several holes with the chosen bit. Clamp the plywood to a flat piece of steel. Fill the holes with pure (or as close as possible) lead. Push out the slugs.

44man
06-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Find a drill bit just slightly larger than your barrel's interior diameter. Get a piece of half inch plywood. Drill several holes with the chosen bit. Clamp the plywood to a flat piece of steel. Fill the holes with pure (or as close as possible) lead. Push out the slugs.
That will work but use a hunk of oak. I made pellets for a Sheridan long ago to shoot pigeons at 100 yards. Don't use any wood with sap or glue.

kmw1954
06-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Looks like a 23/64" drill which is .359" and I think I have a pc of aluminum I can drill.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments I think I have a better idea of what I need to do now.

Mk42gunner
06-14-2016, 12:37 AM
The very best I found are ML RB's. I have a lot of sizes even though some guns are gone.
Sinkers are great if lead.
If a little too small, put a brass rod in both ends of the barrel and upset the slug. I can even do it with a revolver.
Same here. In theory a .360" RB will work, but I usually use a .375" RB for all the .35 caliber barrels since I have them on hand for my Navies.

Robert

imashooter2
06-14-2016, 06:43 AM
I've used .440 and .451 balls to slug .35 barrels. A ring of lead shears off when you start it with a plastic hammer.

mdi
06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Use an unsized fired 9mm case, fill it full. Be sure you use a micrometer not a caliper, they are not accurate enough.

When I read about this method a few years ago I tried it and now I have prolly 20-30 "cast in a case" slugs for all my pistol calibers waiting around to be used...

kmw1954
06-14-2016, 02:20 PM
When I read about this method a few years ago I tried it and now I have prolly 20-30 "cast in a case" slugs for all my pistol calibers waiting around to be used...

Is this a good thing or a bad thing???

.22-10-45
06-14-2016, 02:44 PM
++ for M.L. round ball..keep your eyes open at gun shows..partial boxes of Speer swaged balls are out there..a .375 r.b. would be perfect for slugging a .38 or 9mm..leaves a ring of lead at muzzle..you know it's to bottom of grooves. Pure lead has no spring-back..and the Speers are pure lead..unlike a sinker which could be contain anything heavy.