PDA

View Full Version : Best way to carry a long barreled revolver in the woods?

tazman
06-11-2016, 11:16 PM
I recently purchased a S&W 686 with an 8 3/8 barrel. I am wondering what is the most convenient way to carry this animal in the woods.
I have never carried a revolver with a barrel this long in the woods before. My concerns are security, ease of access, and ease of carry. It will probably not be wearing a scope but I have a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5 that does have a scope moiunted so the same question applies.
If I can make the same holster work for both guns that is a plus but not a requirement.
My choices are
1-hip holster
2-shoulder holster
3-badolier holster
4- drop leg holster
5-other
What is your experience and recommendation?

I meant to post this in the wheelguns forum but messed up. If a moderator wants to move this, feel free.

RoyEllis
06-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Best choice I know of... http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

rondog
06-11-2016, 11:36 PM
That's what I want for my 6" 586, a chest holster.

M-Tecs
06-11-2016, 11:41 PM
On my Contender Super 14's I use a shoulder holster but they are a pain in either really hot weather or really cold weather. When I set bear bait I carry my S&W 29 8 3/8" in a hip holster. Works very well for me.

I wore a drop leg holster for four months in the sand box. It keeps it below the body armor but hopefully I will never have to wear one again. I found it to be the least comfortable of any of the type holsters I have tried.

lightload
06-11-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm right handed but prefer left handed holsters for field carry. The reason is that if I'm also carrying a long gun, one does not bump the other. Another reason is that when driving my truck in off road areas, the left hand holster allows the barrel to extend down past the bench seat. Old age and arthritis may change this method to equalize weight distribution.

M-Tecs
06-11-2016, 11:54 PM
I'm right handed but prefer left handed holsters for field carry. The reason is that if I'm also carrying a long gun, one does not bump the other. Another reason is that when driving my truck in off road areas, the left hand holster allows the barrel to extend down past the bench seat.

Excellent point. I am contemplating a butt forward left side carry for my Ruger Old Army 7 1/2".

Mr Peabody
06-12-2016, 12:24 AM
Any grand kids around to carry it for you?

Dale53
06-12-2016, 12:36 AM
I hunted rough country for deer with long barreled revolvers for many years. I settled on a Bianchi "Hush System" across the chest holster rig. I was and am extremely happy with the rig. I have used it in shirtsleeve weather to below zero weather without issue. It adjusts quickly and easily between light and heavy clothing. I used two different revolvers (either a scoped Model 29 with 8 3/8" barrel or a Ruger Redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel). My TC Contender with 10" barrel fits the same rig, too.

Frankly, I don't think you can do better, either.

Dale53

runfiverun
06-12-2016, 12:49 AM
for a heavy gun a chest rig.
the cross draw type is fine if you don't have to bend over or sit a lot.
a shorter barrel was preferred by many that had to wear a gun all day [belt and holster 'cowboy style' worn with the holster slightly towards the back] and I agree with them.

for a hunting rig [6" or longer barrel] the chest carry worn low, so it doesn't interfere with binoculars, would be my preference.

TXGunNut
06-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Chest, shoulder holster or cross draw. If carrying a long gun and you like to sling it muzzle down on your left shoulder chest carry may be best.

Tatume
06-12-2016, 07:54 AM
I like the Galco Kodiak: http://www.galcogunleather.com/hunting-holsters_8_451.html

Thumbcocker
06-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Simply rugged with the chesty straps. I can carry a Ruger hunter model all day and climb up in my tree stand without it being in the vay.

Artful
06-12-2016, 08:57 AM
Chest or Shoulder worked best for me on long barrels.

Pine Baron
06-12-2016, 09:00 AM
+1 Chest rigs. Shoulder holster works also. Regular hip rig for walkin' in the woods. Heck, why limit yourself to only one?

Tatume
06-12-2016, 09:07 AM
Simply rugged with the chesty straps. I can carry a Ruger hunter model all day and climb up in my tree stand without it being in the vay.

I have both. Although I like the Simply Rugged holsters (I have several), I prefer the Galco Kodiak for scoped long-barreled revolvers. It weighs considerably less, is less bulky, and is more comfortable. For my scoped 6" Dan Wesson 44 Magnum I like the Simply Rugged holster and harness, and for the 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk WITHOUT scope I like the Simply Rugged. For 7-1/2 and 8-3/8" scoped revolvers, the Galco is preferred.

The Galco works with or without a scope, and any barrel length from 7 - 9" fits fine. The Simply Rugged holster made for a scoped revolver is way oversized if the scope is removed. If made for a revolver without a scope, a scoped revolver will not fit. So, for versatility, the Galco is superior.

All of these holsters are "across the chest" type shoulder holsters.

Too bad you're not closer; I'd let you try them.

Don Fischer
06-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I have both. Although I like the Simply Rugged holsters (I have several), I prefer the Galco Kodiak for scoped long-barreled revolvers. It weighs considerably less, is less bulky, and is more comfortable. For my scoped 6" Dan Wesson 44 Magnum I like the Simply Rugged holster and harness, and for the 7-1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk WITHOUT scope I like the Simply Rugged. For 7-1/2 and 8-3/8" scoped revolvers, the Galco is preferred.

The Galco works with or without a scope, and any barrel length from 7 - 9" fits fine. The Simply Rugged holster made for a scoped revolver is way oversized if the scope is removed. If made for a revolver without a scope, a scoped revolver will not fit. So, for versatility, the Galco is superior.

Too bad you're not closer; I'd let you try them.

Are you hunting with this handgun? If so, with a barrel that long I'd go with a shoulder holster. Long barrel gun hangs down the leg quite a ways and is gonna be longer and heavier than anything I'd care to use for security, self defense? Probably make a decent hunting gun though. The gun's a carry are for small game only and I've never carried a rifle and a handgun at the same time. My gun's are S&W DA'a with 6" barrels. I carry them in a cross draw belt holster to keep the gun under cover if I run into rain. I would prefer, I think, a shoulder holster, keep the gun up higher, more comfortable with sitting down. I think it would also be more accessible sitting down. To wear a cross draw belt holster, your jacket would need a longer tail to cover the gun well, not so with a shoulder holster.

HABCAN
06-12-2016, 09:32 AM
I had an Uncle Mike's bandolier chest holster for a scoped 10" Contender that worked well.

bosterr
06-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I have a Bianchi bandolier type holster, model #4101 Ranger, I believe. This one holster carries my 8 3/8" 686 and 629 both scoped, my 10" Contenders scoped and my 7 1/2" scoped BFR short cylinder. This is the revolver model rather than the Contender model because it's a little narrower than the Contender model which makes the gun fit a bit more snug. One negative, make sure the gun is strapped in before you bend over, it will slide out. I've been told the Bianchi fits the wearer better and is more comfortable than the Uncle Mikes.

Hogokansatsukan
06-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Being a custom holster maker, I can tell you that if you ask 25 people this question, you will get 25 different answers. I will say this, while most people who have never carried in a shoulder rig think they look cool, those who have carried in a shoulder rig don't like it. Not all, but most in my experience.
Tanker and chest rigs are generally very good for large caliber, heck even small pistol, field carry. Canted cross-draw is also a very good option, but with scoped pistols, can be a bit too large depending upon your size as well as the pistol/scope size.

nannyhammer
06-12-2016, 02:07 PM
I use Uncle Mike's bandoleer holster for the 14" Contender and 9 1/2" Super Redhawk. I use a Gunfighter's Inc kydex chest holster for the Glock G-40. However I normally only use them when climbing or going to/from my stand in the dark. If it's daylight and I'm hunting it will be in my hands.

Wolfer
06-12-2016, 03:33 PM
For my new vaquero with 7-1/2" barrel I have strong side, cross draw and a chest rig. All homemade. When hunting I prefer the chest rig.

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
You ask a very good question in the OP, and generally, I think Pine Baron gave the best answer, and the one you'll likely wind up going with anyway. I almost always carry my Super Bhk 7.5" in a Bianchi #1L. Only time it gives me any problem is when sitting in my truck. But even then it's far from insurmountable. You really just have to be a bit careful about how you enter and exit the door. If your belt is adjusted properly, with a teensy bit of slack, the holster with its rather wide loop for belt wear, will generally allow the holster to sit along side your leg when sitting. And it's so fast and silent in use! Being lined, that helps keep it quiet, and treats your finish gently. And one holster will last several lifetimes if it's given a treatment with Neat's Foot or other leather oils once every year or two. Leather is really a miracle fiber. It'll last a lot longer than most other materials, and holds the stitching much better than any nylon or synthetic ever will, even riveted Kydex. Leather is getting expensive now, but it's a lifetime buy, so it's really more than worth it for a good, decent holster.

I also have a couple of shoulder rigs, mostly Uncle Mike's I think, but seldom use them. They're just too bulky and cumbersome to me. I haven't tried the across the chest carry yet, and it looks like a winner. Been thinking of giving my son one for his .460 S&W for some birthday or the like. Too big and loud a handgun for an old man like me!

Carrying a long or big or heavy pistol will always be a very personal thing, and things like personal body build, and simple habits and what we do with them while carrying, and how often, and under what circumstances, vary, so holsters naturally vary accordingly. See if you can drop in on a LGS when they're pretty slow, and see if they'll let you try several on, and pick the one that you think fits what you'll be doing best, and that seems to be most comfortable to you. The main job of a handgun, until you actually need it, is simply to stay out of the way of whatever you ARE engaged in, and allow you to carry it in the way that offers the greatest comfort and least restrictive of movement that you can find. There'll always be some degree of "compromise" in this, and carrying a gun won't ever be quite as comfortable as not carrying anything, but you can get fairly close. If you get to try some on, be sure to sit down with each, stand up, jog in place, and anything else you can envision yourself doing. For me, I've pretty well settled on the 1L for my SBH, but your answer may well differ, and rightfully so.