PDA

View Full Version : Good times

dubber123
06-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Somebody hacked my Amazon account and cleaned me out of $4,000. Pretty awesome weekend so far. Good thing I am 350 miles from home. Good times indeed.

shoot-n-lead
06-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear this.

That'll leave a mark...or, at least, it would in my case.

dubber123
06-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear this.

That'll leave a mark...or, at least, it would in my case.

They were efficient, pretty much cleaned out every last penny. Good thing I stashed a little cash.

w5pv
06-12-2016, 12:34 PM
I am sorry for your loss,I thought that Amazon and your bank would have fraud protection.

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 02:14 PM
I am sorry for your loss,I thought that Amazon and your bank would have fraud protection.

They do and will most likely *eventually* refund and set things right. But for the few weeks while that is being sorted it is miserable.

imashooter2
06-12-2016, 02:26 PM
You had $4,000 in Amazon gift card balance? Such a thing makes no sense to me.

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Dubber, when you find out how they did it, would you post back to us so we can know what to look for, at least in similar cases, at least? I'd surely appreciate it, and I think many more would too. Thanks for alerting us. Internet scammers are all over today, it seems! I think it was 7 who were arrested recently in my county for defrauding IRS out of tax return refunds. There must be 1,000 angles to get "money for nothing" as Mark Knopfler said.

dubber123
06-12-2016, 09:37 PM
I will update, I have contacted them, and they are supposed to reply within 48 hours. I paid with my debit card, which comes from my bank account. I'm thinking a few security breaches here. One of the items, a $2,400 gaming computer was listed as purchased on June 6th as of yesterday, but is not listed today. Maybe it hadn't shipped and Amazon killed the order.

I have to check with the bank again tomorrow. The $1,400 camera was paid for by my account. I'm just glad my 300,000 mile Subaru made it back from my weekend trip without incident :)

koehn,jim
06-13-2016, 10:57 PM
I use a credit card for this reason, you are only liable for a max of 50 dollars. Chase is pretty quick about fixing any problems.

dubber123
06-14-2016, 06:13 AM
I have not received the Emailed reply from Amazons fraud team in the time they specified. My bank says they will file a fraud claim for me if it is not resolved. I will try to contact them again after work today. As others have suggested to me, don't expect a quick resolution to this if it happens to you.

bob208
06-14-2016, 01:47 PM
i had my new rfd chip card 2 months before it was hacked. lucky it was cought on the first transaction and rejected.

dubber123
06-14-2016, 09:34 PM
It turns out Amazon had contacted me, my spam filter kicked the message to the trash. They cancelled 1 $2,400 order I didn't make, and changed my pass coding. I am still on the hook for $1,406, but expect I will get it back eventually. They say they have no idea how it could have happened.

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 09:41 PM
It turns out Amazon had contacted me, my spam filter kicked the message to the trash. They cancelled 1 $2,400 order I didn't make, and changed my pass coding. I am still on the hook for $1,406, but expect I will get it back eventually. They say they have no idea how it could have happened.

Partial success then, fingers crossed you get the rest of it resolved quickly.

Duckiller
06-15-2016, 05:03 PM
It happened because they hacked through Amazon. Amazon is big and a good target. Hope you get your money back.

dubber123
07-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Update: Or lack thereof. :) I still have not received a refund, it's been turned over to my bank to deal with.

DerekP Houston
07-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Update: Or lack thereof. :) I still have not received a refund, it's been turned over to my bank to deal with.

That sucks man sorry to hear it. $1400 is a big chunk of change to have floating in limbo....hope they do right by you.

dragon813gt
07-22-2016, 08:54 PM
This is why I never use my debit card in anything other than an ATM. I had an issue early on w/ a simple double charge at a restaurant. Took six weeks to get it straightened out.

I've lost count of how many times my CCs have been hit. They shut them down immediately and I'm not liable for a single cent. Sorry to hear about the situation. But when paying online never use any method hooked directly to your bank account. Even my Paypal account is linked to a secondary account that I only put money in when making a transaction. I don't want to lose any money due to thieves.

victorfox
07-22-2016, 10:54 PM
How it's the legal situation of this case in America? In Brazil they have the obligation to refund you and even should pay an imdemnization. It's easy pie to get this to a small claims court here.

I hope you get your funds soon. It once happened to me but they entered my account and took all I had that was already desrined for rent, bills and groceries. I almost fainted when I saw that and they refunded me within a week and I decided to leave alone the imdemnization, based on the fact this problem affects the customer suplier trust relation (text of our law).

Since most bankers (specially the one I sued) here are supporters of gun control liberal candidates I don't have the good heart to leave this alone anymore. In fact I bought my airguns with imdemnizations against bank (other problems related to credit card).

MaryB
07-22-2016, 10:57 PM
I would be doing a very careful scan of your computer... you may have a keylogger and that is how they got your info. Amazon stores your card info making it easy for someone to use your account. Deleting that will make things harder but then you need to enter your credit card every time... I went to an amazon credit card so I have good fraud protection and deleted my debit card info.

DerekP Houston
07-22-2016, 10:57 PM
How it's the legal situation of this case in America? In Brazil they have the obligation to refund you and even should pay an imdemnization. It's easy pie to get this to a small claims court here.

I hope you get your funds soon. It once happened to me but they entered my account and took all I had that was already desrined for rent, bills and groceries. I almost fainted when I saw that and they refunded me within a week and I decided to leave alone the imdemnization, based on the fact this problem affects the customer suplier trust relation (text of our law).

Since most bankers (specially the one I sued) here are supporters of gun control liberal candidates I don't have the good heart to leave this alone anymore. In fact I bought my airguns with imdemnizations against bank (other problems related to credit card).

Sigh, it is unfortunately the "system" here. I prefer to use my credit card as I can do an immediate charge back and let them sort out the difference. If you leave it up to the banks they go through their own process. Each country has its own pitfalls thanks to the banking institutions. I would abandon it but a high credit score saved me a lot of money on purchasing a house so i see it as a necessary evil.

victorfox
07-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Me too, while I don't like most banks and what they so with us and in politics, I hold a small quantity of some bank stocks because they're solid and make a lot of money which they pay me back as a dividend and I can grt rid of them fast if needed.

I stay clear of state operated banks (we have a bunch here and most are listed at the stock market) for obvious reason they suck and don't make a profit. I also had to finance my house and had to have a good score for that. But I don't hesitate to claim the rights our petty laws give against them.

Yes the credit card is THEIR money and if something goes wrong it was not your hard earned that goes to trash. We also have a system where you can print the bill and pay it physically elsewhere (or via netbanking). I try to do this because you don't have to enter your data into some site.

Also for netbanking I use a Linux computer which runs on a pendrive and am very cautious to not install or do anything that would compromise my banking security. As far as it goes, I had not a single problem in 12 years (the case I mentioned was in 2004). The other problem was an error of the card issuer and I sued and won (nothing security related).

DerekP Houston
07-22-2016, 11:58 PM
Me too, while I don't like most banks and what they so with us and in politics, I hold a small quantity of some bank stocks because they're solid and make a lot of money which they pay me back as a dividend and I can grt rid of them fast if needed.

I stay clear of state operated banks (we have a bunch here and most are listed at the stock market) for obvious reason they suck and don't make a profit. I also had to finance my house and had to have a good score for that. But I don't hesitate to claim the rights our petty laws give against them.

Yes the credit card is THEIR money and if something goes wrong it was not your hard earned that goes to trash. We also have a system where you can print the bill and pay it physically elsewhere (or via netbanking). I try to do this because you don't have to enter your data into some site.

Also for netbanking I use a Linux computer which runs on a pendrive and am very cautious to not install or do anything that would compromise my banking security. As far as it goes, I had not a single problem in 12 years (the case I mentioned was in 2004). The other problem was an error of the card issuer and I sued and won (nothing security related).

You are ahead of the curve even here in the US for using linux. most are Apple or Windows and don't see the point. I'm guilty of using windows 10 right now because it is convenient and matches my company required software. Keep up the good fight and let me know if I can help.

victorfox
07-23-2016, 12:56 AM
Thank you sir!

jcwit
07-23-2016, 01:25 PM
I use a credit card tied to a checking acct. I never have more than $150 in the checking acct. Impossible to hack more than is in the checking.

Now then if I go where I need larger amounts of money I carry cash. My last 3 cars were purchased with 100 dollar bills, and were not purchased locally either.

Cash is usually carried by my wife, if carried by me, is sits in my pants pocket, right behind a 9mm.

Cash is King!