PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by local gun shop

gwpercle
06-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Killing some time, dropped in and shocked to see shelves mostly filled with powders, rifle and pistol , primers , brass....I stood there looking at handgun powders and actually had a choice...I didn't know what to buy.... the choices !
Got to thinking about up coming election...if Hillary wins the run is going to be on !
I spent over $200.00 on powder and primers and 100 357 magnum cases , and am going back week to get some more Red Dot.
I'm not going to be left holding the empty bag next election.... I know what happens !
Gary

TXGunNut
06-11-2016, 07:24 PM
You may have a good point, Gary. Enough people start seeing the handwriting on the wall we may have another shortage before November.

xs11jack
06-11-2016, 08:13 PM
I think what we will have if the wicked witch gets in is going to be more serious than a run on .22 ammo. We are going to want war material.
Ole jack

starmac
06-12-2016, 01:06 AM
If she gets in, I hope I can just keep what I have.

Bookworm
06-12-2016, 07:09 AM
If she gets in, I hope I can just keep what I have.

This.
And it's not "if". Once the media gets completely behind her, and they will, it's a done deal.

Plan on it.

I've spent many hundreds of dollars putting by a good supply. Some for me, some for trade-bait when the inevitable comes to be.

w5pv
06-12-2016, 08:23 AM
hope she gets in the big house for the rest of her life!!

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the club. Lots of folks have been doing this for years, now. Just seems to be the wise thing to do. We may well be in for a VERY rough ride ahead, now.

farmerjim
06-12-2016, 10:25 AM
About 6 months ago I was in Baton Rouge and went buy a gun store that had reloading supplies. The price for one pound of green dot and 1,000 CCI SP primers was more than ordering them on line and paying the $28.50 haz fee. I told them I would not enter their store again, and have not.
There is a LGS in Jackson LA ( only about 7 country miles away) that has prices that are not too much above the internet stores.

dtknowles
06-12-2016, 10:48 AM
If everyone followed Gary's example the shelves will be empty again, I mean the ones at stores, the hoarder shelves will be full. I am fine with people hoarding but just know what will happen. I guess now that he has kicked off the run everyone better go grab some for themselves while some is still on the shelves. Hurry the price is going up.

Tim

GRUMPA
06-12-2016, 10:59 AM
When I went to the P.O. on Friday I noticed a Gunworks sign right next to it. Odd thing though for a really small town and struck me as kinda odd so I figured I would step inside. Much to my surprise he had a little bit of everything, guns (both handguns and rifles) and reloading supplies (Powder and primers) with a fairly good selection. Primers were cheaper than the big box store in the next town over, powder prices were about the same though. No brass to speak of but had an awful lot of component bullets, and I told the owner this place is like a candy store. Biggest grin I ever saw on a person, and told him he'll be seeing more of me in the future.

Out in the sticks....having a gun store open up and survive for any length of time is a miracle to say the least. Really friendly owner willing to go the extra mile for customers. So I ordered an 8Lb jug of powder from him which is the same as if I ordered it but I'll try and keep his doors open.

farmerjim
06-12-2016, 12:35 PM
I will shop at and pay more to a LGS for all guns and reloading components just to have them in the community. I will not pay double prices.

I do not think there will be a run on shooting supplies.
Most of us have already got a many years supply in stock. I am only buying good deals and sales now.

Geezer in NH
06-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Buy now they will not be there long term.

6pt-sika
06-12-2016, 06:21 PM
I'm affiliated with the local gunsmith shop and we order powder and primers for select customers and ourselves (of course) . I always make sure the gunsmith and myself are covered . We do not keep powder or primers on the shelves as his insurance policy does not cover fire etc from reloading components . The few select customers are included to cover the shipping cost and hazmat fee . We get it to them a little cheaper and "we" get ours at distributer cost .

We IE the gunsmith and myself are fairly well covered for the things I load for us both powder and primer wise . Although I'm thinking a few 4 pounders of this and that might be a good idea while we can get it and perhaps a sleeve of CCI209's !

RogerDat
06-12-2016, 06:54 PM
I think since 2013 the right amount of stock on hand at the reloading bench has changed. Probably changed forever or at least a long time. Working against that creating a hoarding driven shortage is many people have already stocked up. Will there be an uptick in firearm related purchases? I think so, but not a massive run that clears out the shelves. Most of us have been buying an "extra" pound or two (or 8# jug) when we purchase replacement supplies.

Couldn't find 8# jug of Varget before, can't find one now. No difference. Did manage to accumulate a decent number of 1# bottles over last few years so no need to go on a buying spree. There was a few powders that I would buy an 8# of if they are available when I have the money. If not meh, I have something I can use.

Chihuahua Floyd
06-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Still not seeing much in western North Carolina. Found a little pistol powder last year.
CF

starmac
06-12-2016, 09:47 PM
We only have two places to buy powder and primers, internet is not really an option. I stopped in one today for the first time in months, and they were stocked up on both, more than I have ever seen here.

After Orlando, I have a feeling it will not stay that way for long, but I have anything I will ever need, unless for some reason I start shooting much more than I do now.

victorfox
06-14-2016, 12:40 AM
well i can tell you I was young and foolish to let some buying opportunies happen under my nose before gun control was set here and I regret it bitterly. I had to buy thing much later at a much higher cost and at a much bigger hassle...
At least we could keep some of what we already had "safely"...
These are though times everywhere...

9w1911
06-14-2016, 12:58 AM
Powder is sticking around, the two most economical are 3rd Gen and Powder Valley, however it can be gone in a week. I wonder though, if powder companies can withstand a rush on goods.

Bookworm
06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Stopped by Cabelas yesterday to pick up some of the S&B sp primers on sale. Picked up a few other mox-nix tidbits, when I saw a bottle of BlueDot on the shelf.
First BlueDot I've seen in quite some time. $27 + tax.
Wow.
I snagged it.

My point being, Alliant can't get their supply chain problems ironed out without a rush. No way can they supply a rush demand.
The other powder companies probably cannot stand a rush either, but I have no intention of finding out.
I have a solid supply, and am buying primers whenever I can.

Primers are the weakest link, IMHO.

RogerDat
06-14-2016, 01:49 PM

My point being, Alliant can't get their supply chain problems ironed out without a rush. No way can they supply a rush demand.
The other powder companies probably cannot stand a rush either, but I have no intention of finding out.
I have a solid supply, and am buying primers whenever I can.

Primers are the weakest link, IMHO.

Yeah primers could be a weak link, trying to keep a balance between powder on hand and actual usage vs. future concerns, all without blowing the budget apart is tough. I work on the basis of buying a bit more than I would for current needs so I can put some aside. Not a huge rush, and not really hoarding, more like one for the loading bench, one for the "pantry" so if I reload enough to need another box, I buy two. For more than one reason I do not want to be the guy with 300# of powder, 100k primers, and a pallet of .22 LR in the basement. On the other hand looking at a pile of brass, powder and cast projectiles with no primers don't appeal either. Just can't see buying in 5k bricks for revolver, maybe if I shot competition and had practice to load for I would feel more urgency.

I think a lot of problems with powder supply stem from a shortage of manufacturing at ADI pistol powder facility. They had a fire which crippled production, now scarcity mind set prevails. Demand is still high enough that it makes it tough to build middle level inventory between manufacturer and Alliant. People (including me) do the same thing with powder as I do with primers. Need one, buy two, plus one of those other powders just because I have not seen it available OR lived though it being needed and not available, or wanted to try it for a year but couldn't find it. I'm guessing a lot of 8# jugs are getting purchased on exactly that basis. I would normally buy a couple or three 1# cans but.... buying that 8# would make me feel safe & secure in my supply, and all warm & fuzzy inside. Who don't want to feel warm and fuzzy? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bookworm
06-14-2016, 02:48 PM
I try to do the math with the powder on hand. 8lb keg is 56000 grains. With a 10gr load I need 5600 primers.
38 wadcutter target loads is double or triple the primers. It's not inconceivable to need 15k to 20k primers per keg of powder.

As for " need 1, buy 2 " .... one thing I learned in my military hitch was "Two is one, and one is none".
IOW, if you have one of something and it breaks or gets used up, you have a handful of sand.

Gotta have backup, gotta have plan B.

And, I love feeling warm and fuzzy....

rockrat
06-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Have seen plenty of powder lately, but primers have been harder to come by, and when they are in stock, expensive.
Seems like they have taken a pretty good hike since I bought some last year.