PDA

View Full Version : Some Refreshing News Besides Politics - Rolling Stones Are Recording A New Album

DougGuy
06-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Figured we could all use a good distraction...

The Rolling Stones Are Back In The Studio – And You Won’t Believe Who They Brought Along!
http://societyofrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/rolling-stones-studio-735x413.jpg Photo credit: rotharmy.com

Talk About A Twist Of Fate! Retirement suits some bands – but not British rock legends The Rolling Stones! With their Zipcode Tour and record setting free concert under their belts, the Stones are now onto their next great adventure – a brand new album, the band’s first since 2005’s A Bigger Bang and in true Rolling Stones fashion, this won’t just be any old rock album!

Due out later this year, the latest Rolling Stones album promises to be extremely blues heavy, signaling a return to the band’s blues roots for the first time in several years, and to help them achieve the sound they were looking for, the Stones enlisted the help of fellow rock legend and real life guitar hero Eric Clapton.
Sources say that Clapton ran into Mick and the gang while recording his latest album I Still Do at the same London studio, leading to the collaboration:

“Eric was in the next studio along so he came in to say hello. They ended up jamming and recorded two songs.”

All-star producer Don Was says that the two Clapton/Stones tracks are “the best thing he has ever done with the Stones” and to be honest, we’re inclined to agree. Clapton’s I Still Do saw his own return to his bluesy, JJ Cale inspired sound that made the album a pretty amazing trip down memory lane for Clapton fans, and that blended with The Rolling Stones’ return to their blues soaked rock and roll sound is bound to make for an exciting combination. No word yet on the album’s title or even a release date.

Check out the tune "Fancyman Blues" featuring Clapton's guitar work and Mick Jagger's blues harmonica:

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=pGUhfg3PPb0

rl69
06-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I like it

richhodg66
06-11-2016, 12:22 PM
I've always like the Stones, and the older I get, the more I seem to like them. Good for them, it would be real easy to just drop out of the limelight because of age and they just keep going.

dtknowles
06-11-2016, 12:32 PM
You can tell who really loves what they do, they don't stop doing it just because they get rich or old or both.

Tim

Bookworm
06-12-2016, 03:34 PM
I'll be honest, I lost interest in the Stones and their music back in the nineties. Whenever a Stones tune comes on the radio, I change stations.
Same ol' same ol'. Been hearing those songs for 50 years, I've had enough.
Feel the same about Beatles. Just tired of hearing it.

dragon813gt
06-12-2016, 03:51 PM
I really respect that they are recording a new album. But I have no desire to hear it. People typically come to a point w/ a band where they only want to hear what they already know. For the Stones I'd imagine people don't want to hear anything after the seventies. More power to them for still keeping at it. If they stopped they would most likely die in short order. Well everyone would except for Keith. He will survive a nuclear holocaust along w/ the cockroaches ;)

Geezer in NH
06-12-2016, 06:04 PM
It will become the wheel chair tour. Meh:groner:

Three44s
06-12-2016, 11:44 PM
A fellow I know did an eleven month tour with the Stones back in the late eighties ...... Steel Wheels tour or something like that.

This fellow was their fireworks guy.

He told me about the band traveling through Arkansas in the middle of the night and they got hungry ...... here stops all these buses ...... a whole boat load of folks decend on a poor little back water all night diner ...

We are talking upwards of 400 people according to this story ........

To say the folks at this diner were understaffed is an understatement!

Now here are the Stone's crew busing tables, washing dishes etc.

Up walks this waitress ......... and there sits Keith Richards ...... my friend is sitting right there ....... The waitress asks what group they are ...... Kieth informs her they are the Rolling Stones ......... and asks if she has ever heard of them ........ ?

She replies .........."Yes, you guys are some sort of Revival Group?"

Richards jumps from his seat and exclaims .......... "LORD, SAVE THIS WOMAN!"

Three 44s

Clay M
06-13-2016, 08:57 AM
I read yesterday that Clapton is having difficulty playing as he once did because of nerve damage to his hands.

Too bad.

We are losing many of the greats, BB King ,and my all time favorite Gary Moore.

bubba.50
06-13-2016, 03:40 PM
if they go on tour will they use their walkers & canes onstage or will they be propped up on stands before the curtain comes up? and Keith Richards has to be on oxygen support by now, will his little green tank be visible or just a long hose runnin' from his nose-clip to the tank backstage?

Blackwater
06-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Great news! It's always good to see fellow geezers still rockin'! Got to see them once live. What a show! And I always smile when I think about Keith, when asked, "Really, Keith, when do you guys plan to retire and pass the torch to a younger group?" Keith simply looked at him and, with that old pirate grin of his, said, "When one comes along who can do it better than we do." 'Nuff said. Nobody rocks and rolls like the Stones. Nobody! They and the Allman Bros. and Clapton are my all time favorites, along with anyone who does "dem ol' blues" the way they ought'a be done. Many don't realize that the stones and about all the other popular 60's groups found their inspiration in the blues. Many think that blues is about being down and out and cryin' in yer beer. It's not. It's about bein' down and out, and cryin' in yer beer, and NOT LETTING IT GET YOU DOWN OR MAKE YOU QUIT! Big difference. Some don't get it, but the good ones do. The Stones do.

Garyshome
06-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Too bad the stones weren't playing this kind of blues 40 years ago, I might like them a little bit more.
"Been hearing those songs for 50 years, I've had enough. "

LUCKYDAWG13
06-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Good for them I for one would love to see them

kingstrider
06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
I think this is awesome and hope they find a new generation of fans. That said, I won't be buying the record or going to see them. I've seen them twice, both in '89 for the Steel Wheels tour and again in '94 to support Voodoo Lounge. The last time I thought how these old geezers need to give it up and vowed I would never pay an inflated ticket price to see them again. 22 years later and here they go again, wow I'm surprised these guys are still alive, talk about the walking dead.

DougGuy
06-14-2016, 11:28 AM
For some reality defying reason, they seem to be getting better. 2009 MSG show was really good, and the Glastonbury and Hyde Park shows of the last couple of years have them acting like a bunch of teenagers instead of old geezers. Mick has enough spring in his step mid seventies to make the Guinness book. They are performing as good now as they EVER did if not better. Go figure!

Some of their blues stuff on records like Exile On Main Street is their best material. I would be glad to hear another Exile styled project in 2016 they do it SO well.

I saw them twice and both times ended up getting bombed on whatever ppl were passing around so I don't remember much of the songs they played but had a great time to boot.

Bookworm
06-14-2016, 11:57 AM
"Getting bombed on whatever people were passing around..."

Reminds me of concerts in the 70's. Smoke so thick you could barely see the stage. Little smoldering paper cylinders passing through continuously....

Good times.

I think.....

robg
06-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Got all their albums ,first saw them live in 71 sticky fingers just released .still the worlds greatest rock and roll band ,who else could write satisfaction or start me up.who remembers which Lennon and McCartney song they recorded.?

Blackwater
06-14-2016, 08:36 PM
For all their feigned and real craziness, when it came to their music, they were always deadly serious about it, and always put real "soul" into it, and that was really their magic. When they took the "roll" out of rock n' roll, the music went downhill because it was almost like a contest to see who could play the most notes in the shortest time. Music's not a contest, and most modern stuff has lost the melody.

When the Allman Bros. were on the Johnny Carson show when Warren Haynes and Allen Woody let them make a comeback, Johnny commented after being wowed by their performance, that they were truly "the Masters of Melody." And he was right. And they, too, play to the music, and there's really NO "competition" for the spotlight and no ego trips in the whole band.

Got to see Derek Trucks at a little local nightspot when he was @ 11, IIRC, and he was absolutely amazing then! Played an SG, which I later learned was the one that Dwayne used to play and left to him, through a really spec'd out blackface Super Reverb. That guitar and amp just spouted real fire in the notes!!! And he was so very humble, and still appears to be!

And for all their early craziness, the Stones seem to just mainly have a great sense of humor now, and are seemingly glad just to still be here. Keith was interviewed many years ago now, and confesses how surprised he was to still be alive then! At one time, he'd have a complete blood transfusion just so he'd be able to play gigs! They made tons of money, but went through it like oil through a goose. Now, there are so many, many people to pay, that they actually get LESS money than they once did, when corrected for inflation, etc.

They're not quite as crazy as they've tried to create in their image .... at least not all of them all the time. If they'd kept up some of their earlier behaviors, they would NOT be with us today! They're extremely lucky to have lost only one of them along the way.

Is Chuck Lavelle playing with them on this record, Roger? He's nearly a local boy, and a big deal in the forestry field now. Owns and manages many acres of pines near Macon. Love his way with an old Hammond organ! He really adds something to the mix when he's with them. I have an old M-2 (Booker T and the MG's model) that I need to spruce up. Came out of an old black church. They replaced it with a "modern" solid state job with shiny stand and some electronic thingies. Nothing's like a B-3, expecially with the Leslies. Even the stones themselves seem to be enrapt of its sounds when Chuck would kick in with it. Now THAT is MUSIC!

Anyone who doesn't get "happy feet" around the Stones' music just ain't fully human!

Ickisrulz
06-15-2016, 01:15 PM
if they go on tour will they use their walkers & canes onstage or will they be propped up on stands before the curtain comes up? and Keith Richards has to be on oxygen support by now, will his little green tank be visible or just a long hose runnin' from his nose-clip to the tank backstage?

I really don't think so. These guys seem to be in really good shape (somehow). Check out the Youtube videos of the most recent tour. I doubt many (even younger) people could hope around like Mick while singing for 2 hours straight.

Personally, I like all their stuff.

You don't suppose The Stones are related to William Shatner? He's another one that stays young.

wingspar
06-16-2016, 02:52 PM
First time I saw the Stones was in 1965. One has to admire that they are still going strong at their age. Can’t say that about me.

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2016, 03:12 PM
I really don't think so. These guys seem to be in really good shape (somehow). Check out the Youtube videos of the most recent tour. I doubt many (even younger) people could hope around like Mick while singing for 2 hours straight.

Personally, I like all their stuff.

You don't suppose The Stones are related to William Shatner? He's another one that stays young.

I heard that the thing that kept Shatner `young` was he was always trying to bed down any females that he was working with.Robert

robg
06-16-2016, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan to die young!

sparky45
06-16-2016, 04:20 PM
i'll be honest, i lost interest in the stones and their music back in the nineties. Whenever a stones tune comes on the radio, i change stations.
Same ol' same ol'. Been hearing those songs for 50 years, i've had enough.
Feel the same about beatles. Just tired of hearing it.
this ↑↑↑

Beagle333
06-16-2016, 04:25 PM
I like the Stones. I'll be all over this one. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thrasher.gif

Clay M
06-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Just got through practicing my guitar. Got a new band up and going and I am excited about playing again. No alcohol or drugs, just serious practice to put together a tight band.
I have been working on licks for the song "The Weight" by The Band.
Really cool old song with some great vocal harmonization.

I like Jim Weiders version of the song best.
He is a Tele guy like me.

As far as the Stones go, I have always loved Keith Richards.

Blackwater
06-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Aw man! Another Tele guy! Good on ya'! Strats are sweet, but a Tele is about aggression, defeating the enemy and glorying in it! It's Leo Fender's first real guitar, and one of the best. Broadcaster or Tele, they're very unique instruments!

I DO hope you're playing it through a good, vintage, all-tube spec'd out amp, like a Super Reverb, Bassman, Deluxe or Bandmaster Reverb? The Bandmaster and Bassmen are my main choices because I've been talked out of my only Super. I just couldn't get it to sound quite like I wanted it to, and the Bandmaster is as thick and rich as they come. What kind'a speakers you playin' through?

Gave my ES-347 to my son some time back, red see-through curly maple top and back and gold trim, fine tuning bridge, quick winding keys, and all the metal gold plated. Hated those 80's Gibson pickups, though, but never head the heart to replace them with something better. Hard to do though those F-holes anyway.

I suspect there are lots of old pickers here. Haven't cranked up my amps in a long time now. Neuropathy in my hands makes me even worse than I ever was before, which is why I gave my beloved ES-347 to my son. I used to deal in vintage instruments and amps and pedals, & other accessories for a number of years as a hobby and sideline, and wow, what an experience that was! Then the pawn shops caught on to the money they were losing and that ended that. Had several years of making more money out of pawn shops than I made on my job. Newer stuff is better, but still not up to a good "old one" that's been spec'd out right. A friend of mine who now lives 3 hr. north of me learned to work on amps and customize them via various techniques (there are many more than most realize) and is now selling literal re-creations of mostly Vox amps all over the world. He recently sold 4 amps and 3 cabs to a Beatles tribute group in Japan for well over $10,000, plus the shipping there, which was very expensive too. But they called him back ecstatic with their sound, and he also puts into his Vox "reissues" a simple electronic detail that helps keep them catching on fire, like some of the old vintage Vox's used to do, and it doesn't affect the sound.

We started out as just a couple of old rock n' rollers who were wistful for "that sound" that we grew up loving, and that had been missing from recorded and most live music for so very long. When CBS bought out Fender, they immediately brought in electronics engineers who found "faults" in the old amps, and immediately "fixed" them, and the resulting sound still made vibrations in the air, but the essential character of that sound was totally different. All the warmth and thick richness was gone out of it. Technically, it'd produce a good frequency, but the overtones, undertones, texture and warmth was just flat gone. That's when a number of folks across the US including Gerald Weber started to do some experimenting and testing (in particular A-B comparisons) and started to unravel the "secrets" of the old amps. Leo started out taking circuits, putting them in amps, and trying them out by ear. Any that didn't pass his "ear test" never saw production, and the best were experimented with until they were even better. For my ears, nothing will ever beat, day in and day out, an old Super Reverb with a #763 circuit and good, well matched 6L6's and finely matched resistors and caps in certain places. Seymour Duncan then applied the same principles to pickups, and though I've hear some good ones by others, Seymour will always be my first go-to pickup guy. Mostly his Alnic II, Vintage and Pearly Gates versions.

My buddy met a guy in Ohio who is the son of an old radio & fix-it shop who, when he had his shop for many, many years, kept excellent and VERY detailed records of the transformers used in various amps, radios, etc., complete with dimensions, type and thickness of metal, wire size and coating type, etc., etc. and the son is now making my friend's transformers to original and documented specs, of original or very similar materials, in original winding patterns, etc., etc. He makes them as close as humanly possible to the way they were once made, and the result is that many will pay pretty significant bucks for his amps. He goes by Blind Lemon Chittlin' on a music website where he's commonly referred to by those who are seeking amp repair advice. His logo is a carricature of a bumble bee in black & yellow, with a big head, a more than wry grin, and some Blues Bros. sunglasses on. And it's appropriate to the sound one gets from his amps. Anyone who wants his name and address or phone number, PM me. I think I can promise you won't be disappointed, but probably only those who remember and value how amps USED to sound will apppreciate the difference. I can tell you this: When he was still here, and leader of the Statesboro Blues Band locally, the lead guitar could hit a single note, and every head in the joint would immediately jerk around toward the band, and smiles would plaster the faces of everyone there! No joke! We've talked with Derek and Buth Trucks and some other famous folks in this small venue, when they were in the area and could be lured into a performance.

There are SO many great musicians about that it's hard to see how some become so famous when equally good pickers and singers languish. It's mostly those who know how, and CAN deal with the corporate mentality that get the big names and shows, but give a few ol' country boys a coupl'a guitfiddles and some amps, and the place will definitely be rocking shortly! And everyone has a great time, unless some drunk starts a fight, but in the places I frequent, those are quickly and effectively stifled, and everyone goes back to just having fun! Folks wound so tight they can't have fun are the people I feel most sorry for in this world. Cripples can't help what's happened to them, and often have great attitudes, but prigs CHOOSE their fate, and that seems to me to be worthy of my pity.

Keep rockin', Clay and all of you! It matters! God never intended for us to not have good times! NEVER!

Clay M
06-17-2016, 10:27 PM
I have many telecasters, but this one is special. I built it from Warmoth parts. It is a gold guitar with cream binding. It is semihollowbody with no F holes for a more open sound. I put Joe Barden pickups in it. I have the Danny Gatton in the bridge, and a Barden Soapbar in the neck. It can be very sweet or very nasty at the flip of a switch.The Bardens kill. They are some of the best sounding pups I have ever played. My luthier told me this guitar is one of the best sounding guitars to ever come through his shop. It is very touch sensitive.
It is my very favorite guitar besides my Gibson 59 Custom Shop 335. That one is my favorite.

Porterhouse
06-18-2016, 11:12 AM
I saw them at Indianapolis last summer. Amazing! You can get tired of them, make fun of their age, and you can just ignor them but the fact is, they've done it and still doing as good or even better than 20 years ago.
I think most of us here are long time shooters. Try to shoot as good or better than 10 years ago. No, you can't complain that your eyes are not as good or put some weight or anything. Just shoot as good or better than yesterday. You don't have to prove to anyone else. Just to your self. Can You honestly do it?

Blackwater
06-18-2016, 11:55 AM
That's a couple of primo guitars, Clay! I always wanted a 335, but never found one I could afford whenever I had some money. The Tele is one of the, if not THE, simplest guitars around, and they do, as you say, tend to be very touch sensitive. That's one of the reasons I don't play them well. Too ham-handed and clumsy. I have a swamp ash Warmouth body and boatneck neck and just have to finish and assemble it. I keep vasicllating between Broadcaster and std. Tele pickups, but now you've got me thinking about a soapbar in the neck, just like yours. I think a man needs at least half a dozen Teles. Being so simple and elemental, it tends to be a little more "earthy" to play and simpler to adjust its sound with the pickups. VERY great guitars, and one of if not THE first ever made. Ol' Leo was truly a real craftsman. Most guitars today are conceived and made by more heady, electronic folks, or woodworkers, etc., but Leo was a guitar man and craftsman, and for him, it was all about the sound. So that's how he put all his stuff together, by the cut-and-try method. I think we all owe ol' Leo a debt of gratitude for what he gave us. Strats and Teles are the most commonly seen and heard guitars, and have been for many years. And for good reason. They know how to say what musicians want and need to say, and they say it with the right "voice." His amps are great too. I particularly like the way they can go from pristine clean to the most rich overdrive sound ever, all by simply using your volume knob on the guitar. No stomp boxes needed at all for most stuff. And their reverb just suits their sound. I like Ampeg's old reverb too, but it's a different, sort of "cleaner" sound. I think I've got 9 guitars and 7 amps now, and several cabinets. Just can't let them go, even though I can't really play them. Then there's the old M-2 Hammond organ that needs some attention.

What kind'a amp ya' got? They've got some pretty decent ones out there now, but I still lean to the old Fenders that have been spec'd out, with cabs with good, cheap paper cone speakers. Those light speakers vibrate more easily, and get the subtle tones and over and undertones out there better and more efficiently than any heavier duty speaker ever will. And they last plenty long enough, and are quick and easy to replace with another cheap, paper cone speaker. It's the sound I grew up with that always gave me "happy feet" and made me smile all over. Love them old sounds, and the Stones were one of the original bands that got ticky about what amps they used. And in the studio, they quickly found that miking a very small amp made it sound like it was 10 ft. tall! I sold an old, early solid state Ampeg 15 watter to a guy in Hawaii, who had and ran a studio, and he called me back long distance on his dime to tell me how great it was in the studio! I sold it to him at a really good and reasonable price, and he was just ecstatic with it. I think it was Keith who once commented that it was all about playing the right guitar through the right amp and placing the mike in just the right spot that made their sound so unique and rich. For me, as a really poor player, it was still a joy just to get to hear "that sound" again. But I'm a heckuva roadie, thoough. Small compensation, but I was always in demand for that, at least, because I understood all the things involved. That made things function and go really smoothly and quickly, which most don't realize is important on a gig. I just wish I could PLAY!!! I envy you, Clay. Would love to hear you guys. I have a notion it'd put a great big smile on my face!

Clay M
06-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Right now I am playing through a small custom built amp my friend in Arizona gave me. It
Is called a Carter amp. The guy only made a few prototypes then disappeared.
It has the Fender Tweed Deluxe type tone.
I play it through a 4X10 closed back cab loaded with Celestion Alnico Gold speakers.

The next amp I want is a Ceriatone . It is a Dumble copy made in Malaysia by a one man operation.
It has the whole Dumble sound at a great price.

I got my 335 used off of ebay. I could never afford a new one.

kiwi
06-18-2016, 08:26 PM
Figured we could all use a good distraction...

The Rolling Stones Are Back In The Studio – And You Won’t Believe Who They Brought Along!

http://societyofrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/rolling-stones-studio-735x413.jpg Photo credit: rotharmy.com

Talk About A Twist Of Fate!

Retirement suits some bands – but not British rock legends The Rolling Stones! With their Zipcode Tour and record setting free concert under their belts, the Stones are now onto their next great adventure – a brand new album, the band’s first since 2005’s A Bigger Bang and in true Rolling Stones fashion, this won’t just be any old rock album!

Due out later this year, the latest Rolling Stones album promises to be extremely blues heavy, signaling a return to the band’s blues roots for the first time in several years, and to help them achieve the sound they were looking for, the Stones enlisted the help of fellow rock legend and real life guitar hero Eric Clapton.
Sources say that Clapton ran into Mick and the gang while recording his latest album I Still Do at the same London studio, leading to the collaboration:

“Eric was in the next studio along so he came in to say hello. They ended up jamming and recorded two songs.”

All-star producer Don Was says that the two Clapton/Stones tracks are “the best thing he has ever done with the Stones” and to be honest, we’re inclined to agree. Clapton’s I Still Do saw his own return to his bluesy, JJ Cale inspired sound that made the album a pretty amazing trip down memory lane for Clapton fans, and that blended with The Rolling Stones’ return to their blues soaked rock and roll sound is bound to make for an exciting combination. No word yet on the album’s title or even a release date.

Check out the tune "Fancyman Blues" featuring Clapton's guitar work and Mick Jagger's blues harmonica:

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=pGUhfg3PPb0
Now that's real music

Three44s
06-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Perhaps the ones among us that want to pick on old rock bands for still being around are in fact not wanting to admit ...........

........... we .. their listeners .......... are old!

Three 44s

Blackwater
06-20-2016, 06:48 AM
Clay, you've got some really righteous equipment there, and a musician can't be any better than his equipment.

You may find it interesting that a couple of my favorite guitars are an old Guild S-25 and .... of all things, a HONDO! The Guild looks like a Strat that started out to melt and went half way between a Tele and a Strat. It's got a big 3+3 headstock, set mahogany neck in an ash body, and I replaced the awfully clinical Dimarzio pickups with a Pearly Gates bridge and '59 neck HB's. Wired simply to a volume and tone pickup with a 3-way pickup selector, I got it wired one afternoon and took it to some friends' practice session. Kent, the lead player, had become a vintage prig, and when I proposed he give my new guitar a try, he condescendingly strapped it on with a bit of a scowl on his face. But then he hit a lick on it, and his eyebrows hit his hairline! He played it almost the entire rest of the session, and was VERY complimentary of it.

The Hondo is a lyre-shaped body with extra long 31 fret neck that runs down almost to its single pickup. It had some really cheap pickup in it that was wired through 2 switches, a 2-way and a 3-way, for every sort of electronic combination possible. Some were just plain awful in sound! I snatched that out and bypassed the 2 switches, wiring it directly to simple volume & tone knobs. The pickup is a Duncan Alnico II, and gee golly wow does that thing have SOUL! It's a natural for some good slide playing, and you can play it all the way down to the pickup for some really excruciatingly great tones. A good, solid bridge worked wonders too, since the original was thin sheet metal.

I love my little mutt guitars, and everyone who's played or heard them does too. Nobody expects such also-ran guitars to do much, but plug 'em in and let fly, and .... gee golly wow! There's "that sound!"

No better than I play, I couldn't justify keeping the best of all the ones I once had, and let them go to folks who could actually make use of them, but the ES-347 was the realization of a childhood dream, back when I had the temerity to fall in love with the old red, semi-hollow "copy" of a 335 with the 3 HB pickups. My son took up playing and promptly surpassed anything I'd ever hoped for! It's tough to know good music and how to make it, and not be ABLE to! I envy you, sir!

robg
06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
That's true r&b thanks hadn't hear that before

Ickisrulz
10-06-2016, 09:06 AM
The announcement for the new Stones album was made today. It will be available 2 December and is called "Blue & Lonesome." It is an album of covers of old blues songs. It should be pretty good.

Blackwater
10-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Haven't bought a CD in years, but this is one I'll HAVE to have. Don't like many of their lyrics, but if you block them out, it's some of the best rock n' roll, r&b music ever. They may be crazy and low down in their personal lives in many ways, but I'm not prig enough to deny them their due when it comes to makin' good music. I'll take the good in what they give us, and leave the rest to them and God.

God always intended for us to be happy and joyous at times, serious and well directed at others. "Variety is the spice of life," and being prigish about folks is being more judgmental than I think was ever intended for us to be. And few things in life are "pure," so we really HAVE to take things, and strain the good out of them when we can find it. I also love gospel, blues and blue grass too, but nothing gives me "happy feet" like good old rock n' roll, before they took the "roll" (melody) and soul out of it and it became just "rock." Can't wait to get a copy here! Thanks for the heads up.

Ickisrulz
10-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Haven't bought a CD in years, but this is one I'll HAVE to have. Don't like many of their lyrics, but if you block them out, it's some of the best rock n' roll, r&b music ever. They may be crazy and low down in their personal lives in many ways, but I'm not prig enough to deny them their due when it comes to makin' good music. I'll take the good in what they give us, and leave the rest to them and God.

God always intended for us to be happy and joyous at times, serious and well directed at others. "Variety is the spice of life," and being prigish about folks is being more judgmental than I think was ever intended for us to be. And few things in life are "pure," so we really HAVE to take things, and strain the good out of them when we can find it. I also love gospel, blues and blue grass too, but nothing gives me "happy feet" like good old rock n' roll, before they took the "roll" (melody) and soul out of it and it became just "rock." Can't wait to get a copy here! Thanks for the heads up.

You bring up an interesting point. Many on this board cannot stand certain entertainers because of their political and world views. I feel the same way about many of them too and won't spend my time or money supporting them. But there are some exceptions I make. One is for nasty Mick and the stones. Another notable one is for Freddy Mercury. I don't care about his lifestyle...he is one of rock music greatest voices.

DoubleAdobe
10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
A fellow I know did an eleven month tour with the Stones back in the late eighties ...... Steel Wheels tour or something like that.

This fellow was their fireworks guy.

He told me about the band traveling through Arkansas in the middle of the night and they got hungry ...... here stops all these buses ...... a whole boat load of folks decend on a poor little back water all night diner ...

We are talking upwards of 400 people according to this story ........

To say the folks at this diner were understaffed is an understatement!

Now here are the Stone's crew busing tables, washing dishes etc.

Up walks this waitress ......... and there sits Keith Richards ...... my friend is sitting right there ....... The waitress asks what group they are ...... Kieth informs her they are the Rolling Stones ......... and asks if she has ever heard of them ........ ?

She replies .........."Yes, you guys are some sort of Revival Group?"

Richards jumps from his seat and exclaims .......... "LORD, SAVE THIS WOMAN!"

Three 44s

Ha, that story reminded me of their old song about the girl with the far away eyes,hehe.

Elkins45
10-08-2016, 11:49 PM
The Stones were never my favorite band, but they were unquestionably the best concert I ever attended. I saw them in Lexington in the fall of 1981. I saw my favorite band (The Who) a year later, but I must say that the Stones gave a superior show. They turned all the house lights on during "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and there were 23,000 people standing up and singing along.

One of of my favorite memories...

Ickisrulz
12-02-2016, 10:28 AM
"Blue and Lonesome" is out today. Since I ordered mine from Amazon it came with an MP3 download and I can enjoy it before the stores open. It's a pretty good album.

Blackwater
12-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Anybody noticed that Trump has kind'a made "You Can't Always Get What You Want" his theme song? Great choice, IMO!

gwpercle
12-02-2016, 02:15 PM
My favorite album is still that very first one I bought in 1964 , The Rolling Stones , Decca 1964.
I still have it too . There are some great cuts on that bad boy.
Gary

Beagle333
12-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Got mine on the way. Listening to the mp3's now. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thrasher.gif

Ickisrulz
12-02-2016, 03:14 PM
My favorite album is still that very first one I bought in 1964 , The Rolling Stones , Decca 1964.
I still have it too . There are some great cuts on that bad boy.
Gary

My favorite is "Some Girls." I got it when I was around 12. I still listen to it regularly.

DougGuy
12-02-2016, 04:01 PM
The best stuff they ever did never made it to the record. I have a bunch of Goats Head Soup outtakes, Let It Bleed outtakes, Exile On Main Street outtakes, a bunch of alternate cuts, mono tracks, all this off the wall stuff that you couldn't buy in record stores is now available *IF* you know where to go and look for them. Anyone with a couple of decent usenet accounts can find and download about everything they ever recorded, legit, outtakes, alternate cuts, boots, you name it, it's out there. You don't really appreciate their skills as musicians until you hear them just goofing off or doing some old off the wall stuff, and some of the mixes have Keith Richards in the rt channel, with nothing muddying up his guitar and so you really get to hear all the little chonka chonka stuff he does, and how he just bashes a couple of chords here and there, and leaves big gaps in between, the guy is pretty much a renaissance artist only painting with sound on a canvas of silence. As a guitar player, he isn't a lot of things, but genius, he is. Gotta love 'em.

Blackwater
12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Yep. If I could wave a magic wand and suddenly play like any guitarist alive or dead, I'd pick ol' Keith. His sense of rhythm and timing is unique, and I always have to go back and listen to it in context of the rest of the music surrounding his licks, and then, I realize he plays "rhythm" like most guys play lead! His punctuation is awesome in any song he plays on! Love their music, and Keith is a large part of the reason for that.

DougGuy
12-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Had a fun idea, went and found the original blues masters' original recordings of all the songs on the new Blue & Lonesome album, create the same playlist, then intersperse the Stones' versions in between the originals, each of the songs plays twice, first the Fathers, then the Sons! ;)

Very cool to hear the original raw 50s and 60s recordings of these songs, and then immediately afterwards hear the modern rendition.

Blackwater
12-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Blues is SO misunderstood! Most think it's about being sad and downhearted, and suffering, and making mistakes. It's not. It's about being human, and keeping on keeping on despite all the things in life that try to bring us down. Those old guys who worked the "chicken circuit" in Blues' heyday, were some tough ol' birds, AND they had to have REAL talent, and the competition was severe! They had no home, and travelled from gig to gig, which may be a big portion of the reason they generally had a reputation for pursuing the ladies. Most ladies could provide a free roof over their heads, and they were frequently broke. They did NOT always get paid what was promised at the end of many gigs. But they seem to have always played to the crowds, for THEIR satisfaction, and not to the owners of the clubs'. They were very legitimate "pioneers in the wilderness" in a very real sense. And some who didn't think much of them, their music and lifestyle, surely made their lives difficult at times, too! And through it all, all they COULD do was to just keep putting one foot ahead of the other. Truly, they were profiles in a type of courage few have these days, and thus, really don't understand.

I was fortunate enough to have known one of the old chitlin' circuit players. He was a customer of mine, and he had a real reputation for not ever paying anybody. Story was he had 21 children he knew about, and who knows how many more. His stage name was "Tiny," but I always called him Ira, simply as a sign of respect. He needed help, and I told him I was NOT supposed to help him with his credit record. But he was really in a tight, and his concern was real, I could tell. So ... I just questioned him, letting him know this wasn't company to him, but ME to him, personally. I let him know I didn't like seeing people in need, and being able to help, and not providing it. Told him that I would give him this one chance, noting that he'd be in need again one day, and if he wanted to have someone to depend on for the necessities in life, I'd expect him to pay me reasonably well. I knew he didn't have a lot of money, and would miss things from time to time, usually due to helping those in the family who were in greater need than him (and occasionally bailing a son out of jail). I have to admit I was surprised at how well he paid me. I had more than one creditor ask me what in the world I did to get him to pay me when he wouldn't pay much of anyone else. It was simply a matter of honor and respect. And it was mutual. I took my red see-through curly maple topped ES-347 Gibson, with its gold plated furniture, and one of my smaller amps there one day, and we sat after work, and made some great music. Lots of the neighborhood "gang banger" types (or what served for them in that time and place), were attracted, and had a great time. He's gone to his reward now. He had a rather unique voice, too, sort of higher pitched with lots of vibrato when he wanted it. He had very fast hands - a trait that I suspect saved many of those old bluesmen from a potter's grave more often than any of them liked to think about.

And then, "Da' blues had a baby an' they named it Rock n' Roll!" And it's still joyous music, though the lyrics are often rather suspect nature. If you can keep your feet still when "th' house is rockin'," you're far more stalwart and staid than I'll ever be! And it's in the Stones' rhythms, I think, that they so excelled. Nobody rocks quite like the Stones!