PDA

View Full Version : My first reloads in 9MM

Traffer
06-11-2016, 04:40 AM
Hi Folks,
I am about to start reloading 9MM. I am looking for some advise. I have a Norinco 213 (Tokarev Clone in 9MM) I have purchased a Lee Loader for 9MM. I have a Lee .358-117-1R mold. I have a pound of HS-6. I got the .358 mold because I have heard that Chrome barrels (which the Norinco has) lead badly unless you go to a fatter slug. I have HS-6 because that it what I use to reload 22LR. I have some 12 BHN lead that I have just molded some boolits from. I think I put a bit too much tin in the alloy and my boolits are light. About 114 grains. I do not have a Hogdon chart that shows 110 to 125 grain lead bullet charges. I am going to go with the same amount recommended for a jacketed bullet. My main concern is this: Since I am using somewhat harder lead than I am used to with 22LR and an oversized slug, do I have to worry about blowing up the gun and my hand with it? Any other concerns that I should have?

Yodogsandman
06-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Even oversized lead boolits shoot with less pressure than jacketed rounds when using the same amount of powder. You shouldn't have any problems using jacketed load data as long as you seat the boolit to the same length and start at the STARTING loads, carefully working up the charges toward the MAXIMUM loads.

lightload
06-11-2016, 08:18 AM
You may or may not know that reloading 9mm ammo can sometimes require much experimentation to develop rounds that feed and function through the pistol. Too, Lee Loaders sometimes baffle new guys. Reviewing relevant sections here can provide great tips. My first suggestion is to remove the pistol's barrel and use it for a GO/NOGO gauge. If the loaded rounds drop in, that's good. If not, adjust and try again. Your task will be easier if you use brass fired in your pistol. Using brass with the same head stamp will also simply the process by reducing variables like case wall thickness and overall length.

Shiloh
06-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Wise choice on going oversize nd heeding the knowledge here.
You saved your frustration and learning curve a good bit of time. I cast better and more accurate boolits from knowledge gained here on the forum.

SHiloh

runfiverun
06-11-2016, 10:08 AM
I have a couple of the 213's [type 99]
you ain't gonna blow one up too easily, anyway mine likes cast just fine sized to 358.
try a lighter load to start out, I have pretty much stayed with the faster powders in the 9 with cast and have done alright.
the slower powders should do okay but they don't usually burn too efficiently at the lower pressures.

target a load showing about 850-900 fps and paint a little dot on the top of your front sight the boolits will hit right behind it at 25 yds.

mdi
06-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Slug your barrel! I got a Norinco Tok clone quite a few years ago and only shot jacketed in it because any lead clogged the barrel rather quickly. Then I learned about bullet fit and slugged the barrel; .358"! I have to shoot .359"+ bullets to get any semi-clean shooting...

BTW BHN 12 isn't "some what hard". But be aware that 9mm shooting lead bullets often take a lot of time getting the right combination to shoot leading free. My other two 9mms (both "modern" striker fired plastic guns) took a bit of work finding the "perfect load". My favorite bullet is Lee's 125 gr RNFP cast in approx. 16-18 BHN alloy...

Traffer
06-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the great replies. I am very encouraged and enlightened. I will pull the barrel and test the rounds for drop in/out. I will slug the barrel. Just so I understand correctly: make a soft bullet like pure lead, tap it into the muzzle of the gun to "take" the diameter, tap it out and measure. Or, start at the breech and tap it through the barrel completely? I was planning on having to do some experimenting to get a good working load worked up. Looking forward to all of this.

runfiverun
06-11-2016, 07:26 PM
a slightly large lead slug.
oil it and the barrel and push it through from the chamber to the muzzle.

websterz
06-12-2016, 12:47 AM
And bear in mind that calipers, either dial or digital, are only accurate to 0.001". When slugging your bore you really want to use a micrometer to check the slug size.

mdi
06-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Yep, kinda like buyin' britches if you don't know what size yer belly is. You can keep trying different size pants and mebbe eventually you'll find one that fits, or you can measure your waist...

Slug the barrel...

Traffer
06-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Well I finally slugged the barrel on my Norinco 213. It comes in at .3565. I haven't cast any 16BHN bullets yet to see what they are dropping at but the softer lead 12BHN is dropping at .358. Do you think that I should size the bullets to .357? Or is .358 close enough to .3565 or .356 to go ahead and load? Intend on using 16BHN to 18BHN lead. At 115 to 117 grain round nose. My mold is a Lee .358 117 R. Been checking the load charts and have settled on using 6.2 grains of HS6 as a starting point.
-2016 Hodgdon Reloading Guide

runfiverun
06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
you can increase the hardness as you go.
I'm around [shrug] 11 maybe 10.

Cherokee
06-26-2016, 04:03 PM
My most used 9mm load is 6.1 gr HS6 behind the Lee 120 TC bullet @ .356" for 1090 fps. It is not a light load. You should be fine.

Traffer
06-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Have you slugged your barrel? If so what is the diameter? The only discrepancy I can possibly see here is that I will be using .358" bullets. Also, I wonder why the Lee .358 117grain round nose mold is so rare and why they don't make it anymore. I hope it does not turn out to be a lemon of a bullet.

My most used 9mm load is 6.1 gr HS6 behind the Lee 120 TC bullet @ .356" for 1090 fps. It is not a light load. You should be fine.

GWM
06-27-2016, 08:36 PM
I don't think it's a lemon. It is relatively light with a short bearing surface and going relatively fast to cycle the action. Without a gas check it may be less inclined to grip the rifling. But if you get it large enough and hard enough it could still do fine.

06-30-2016, 06:37 AM
I think .358 in a .356.5 barrel is going to be great. I'm not a fan of that light bullet but I think you've got everything you need to try it. HS-6 will work, 117gr will work and the size is great. You may be fine here or may need to go a little harder alloy. Try it where you are and see what it does.