PDA

View Full Version : Buckskinner 1:20 twist bullet selection?

bigpak
06-09-2016, 11:49 PM
I have a 1:20 twist .50 traditions buckskinner rifle, 21 inch barrel, and it has an extremely fast twist rate compared to a lot of muzzleloaders, so its not very good for roundballs, even with light loads. I am trying to find a mold that will work well in it that is conical, but none of the lee molds are maxiballs, they are either minie balls or REAL bullets.

My first question is, what is the difference between minie balls and maxi balls, and what is the difference between a maxi ball and a REAL bullet other than it has rifling engraved at loading. I do not know what mold to buy for a fast twist rifle, any help would be appreciated, also, for roundballs, if I wanted to try, what would be a good FFG powder load?

runfiverun
06-10-2016, 10:06 AM
the longer projectile for the fast twist.

Yodogsandman
06-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Minnie balls are hollowed at the base and expand when shot to engage the rifling. Reloads are easier to load because they don't fully engage the rifling and fouling doesn't effect it as much. Maxiballs are from Thompson Center Arms or Lyman. REAL bullets are Lee's solid muzzleloader bullets.

The faster twist barrels just beg for the use of a sabot and pistol bullet. I use the green Hornady sabots available in 50 packs and Hornady 240gr XTP's over 100 gr loose Pyrodex Select for great accuracy. I have a mold to try lead pistol boolits in sabots but, haven't got around to trying it yet.