PDA

View Full Version : Rounding Out Beagled Bullets

Irascible
06-09-2016, 11:03 AM
If I Beagle a mold to cast bullets over the desired size, say .002 - .003 over, and then push them nose first through a LEE or Star die, will the lead from the larger diameter be moved over to the smaller diameter and thus become round and at the size I want? Or, will it end up round but the center of the body no longer in line with the center (or point) of the nose?

Dusty Bannister
06-09-2016, 11:35 AM
If you lube them first that will support the lube grooves and perhaps prevent collapse. As to the movement, you might find something similar to driving the bullet through a barrel, where the lead moves to the trailing edge of the casting. You will sometimes find this on fired bullets as well. I would not know if the amount of lead you need to move would have any affect on this or not. Try it and see.

runfiverun
06-09-2016, 11:35 AM
the lead has to move somewhere.
unfortunately the open front of the die generally means the boolit will get longer not fatter.
if you want .002 more use a beagled boolit to lap the mold out to the wide dimensions.

dualsport
06-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Why size at all?

44man
06-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Molds expand at the parting line but close the other way with heat so to Beagle can make a boolit more round. I would not worry.

Toymaker
06-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Really, it's a non-issue. Beagled and non-Beagled bullets fall in the same group out to 200 yards - the maximum range I have available.

Irascible
06-09-2016, 08:37 PM
It looks like I have a lot of testing ahead. Thanks

shoot-n-lead
06-09-2016, 09:22 PM
It looks like I have a lot of testing ahead. Thanks

Beagled bullets shoot fine...don't over complicate this...has been done many times with great results.

KYCaster
06-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Molds expand at the parting line but close the other way with heat so to Beagle can make a boolit more round. I would not worry.

Really, it's a non-issue. Beagled and non-Beagled bullets fall in the same group out to 200 yards - the maximum range I have available.

Beagled bullets shoot fine...don't over complicate this...has been done many times with great results.

Yeah....what they said.
Don't try to make it any more complicated than it already is.

Jerry

Shiloh
06-10-2016, 06:36 AM
If I Beagle a mold to cast bullets over the desired size, say .002 - .003 over, and then push them nose first through a LEE or Star die, will the lead from the larger diameter be moved over to the smaller diameter and thus become round and at the size I want? Or, will it end up round but the center of the body no longer in line with the center (or point) of the nose?

Not to any extent. The moved lead will wind up in the lube grooves. Won't be an issue until you close off the lube grooves, and a few thousands won't do it.

Shiloh

leftiye
06-11-2016, 06:51 AM
You might want to consider how much mucking about with a mold is possible without mucking up the mold.

shoot-n-lead
06-11-2016, 12:28 PM
You might want to consider how much mucking about with a mold is possible without mucking up the mold.

Beagling uses alum TAPE...no mucking about with the mold. Just put the tape on the mold and use it. If you like what you get...leave the tape on the mold for the subsequent casting sessions...if not satisfied, just remove the tape.

For me, it has worked well every time I have ever done it.

Walter Laich
06-11-2016, 04:07 PM
always thought when the bullet started through the barrel it would end up round. Barrels are a lot longer than sizing dies

10mmShooter
06-11-2016, 06:01 PM
When you enlarge the mold via tape or grinding and enlarge the cavities you always risk producing a slightly out of round bullet shoot even factory new molds can be slightly out of round, sizing can often correct some of this sometimes, sometimes its not perfect...... but assume pistol bullets at ranges of 50 yards or less. Unless you are a world class shooter with a target gun, the eccentricity of our cast bullets will simply not be a issue. Keep in mind what is happening with an out round bullet the center of mass can be shifted away from dead center of the bullet, as mentioned sizing my help a little. Some asked if the going down the bore fixes this (answer no) what happens is the slight eccentric bullet rotates around the axis of the bore whiles its in the barrel. Once the eccentric bullet leaves the bore, it now rotates around its own center of mass, which as we discussed may be off center. Think of the bullet spin and flying in cork screw type flight path.

For rifles at long range eccentric flight path can be an issue, but at 50 yards or less it simply doesn't effect most of our pistol shooting.

Last tip, if you are so out of round that when you size the bullet you entirely wipe out the opposite side lube groove, then I would say at that point you definitely are too eccentric, anything less you will be fine. for pistol are <50 yards.

Irascible
06-14-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm actually working with a schuetzen rifle which has shot .300 groups at 100yds. I also shoot at 200 yds. I wanted to try this on an Eagen nose pour mold which is too small.

mold maker
06-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Try it with your equipment and look at your results. Our opinions are exactly that and don't reflect your circumstances. What causes me a problem, might correct one in your use or visa versa.