PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Lawn Tractors

gsdelong
06-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I am getting ready to buy a new lawn tractor. Does anybody have experience with the new 4 wheel steering John Deere tractors like the X384?

Thanks

Greg

OS OK
06-07-2016, 10:32 AM
No, but…I've been using one of their 'zero turn' models on 6 acres of grass for 3 years now…a great little machine.

Replaced one belt thus far!

omcforever
06-07-2016, 11:48 AM
No experience with that model but have a L120 that has been great with no issues....JD seem to be great quality.

gsdelong
06-07-2016, 12:29 PM
My experience says that the quality is great but I am trying to figure out four wheel steering or not

OS OK
06-07-2016, 12:51 PM
A friend has one (the orange brand) that looks like the regular tractor mower only on steroids…he mows here in the hills and it adds traction and stability also uses other attachments to it. I'd love to own one but it wouldn't be handy for mowing here because of all the trees to go around. A steering wheel will work you to death along with the fact that a tractor has to mow around trees with several back and forth approaches to get the grass at the base cut closely.
The zero turn is such a different concept and has such different characteristics in handling that you need to try one to really understand their utility. Only drawback…it ain't no substitute for a good old tractor with attachments!

Rick Hodges
06-07-2016, 12:53 PM
My brother has one...I think this is the third year. I drove it and the 4 wheel steering is incredible. It turns very close to trees. I'm not sure I would pay more for the capability but my brother likes it.

Blackwater
06-07-2016, 01:26 PM
No direct experience, but everyone I know who's ever had a Deere product loves them. As stated above, little maintenance and truly great reliability. Any metal can LOOK "right," but Deere seems to use higher grades of steel in most of their parts where the cheap immitations use the cheapest, most rustable and lowest grade steels they can come by. They're a long term "investment" rather than just something to cut grass with for a while. That's been my observation over a long time, at least, with anything they put out. One of the last companies that truly try to "do it right," IMO.

OS OK
06-07-2016, 01:32 PM
No direct experience, but everyone I know who's ever had a Deere product loves them. As stated above, little maintenance and truly great reliability. Any metal can LOOK "right," but Deere seems to use higher grades of steel in most of their parts where the cheap immitations use the cheapest, most rustable and lowest grade steels they can come by. They're a long term "investment" rather than just something to cut grass with for a while. That's been my observation over a long time, at least, with anything they put out. One of the last companies that truly try to "do it right," IMO.

That's a good point. The Deere tractor mower I had 5 years prior to getting the zero turn, I gave to the rancher next door. I saw him out by the road last week and that little tractor is still going at it, paint looks new but he did say that he replaced the bearing mounts the blade mounts on in the deck. Other than that no problems.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-07-2016, 02:15 PM
I forget the model, but a John Deere dealer talked my grandmother into buying a 4-wheel steering model. She liked it because she didn't want to get the hang of a zero turn style. I ended up being the only one to ever cut grass with it until she sold her place and moved into town. The 4-wheel steering works pretty well around trees etc., not as good as a zero turn but well enough to eliminate the need for a push mower.

gsdelong
06-07-2016, 02:40 PM
That is what I wanted to hear. I have a lot of "stuff" to mow around trees mostly and I think my ground is to rough for a zero turn.

I had a Deere for about 16 years and replaced it with a Craftsman about 6 years ago, should have bought another Deere.

I am at the point of hopefully spending to get things that will last as long as I do.

I forget the model, but a John Deere dealer talked my grandmother into buying a 4-wheel steering model. She liked it because she didn't want to get the hang of a zero turn style. I ended up being the only one to ever cut grass with it until she sold her place and moved into town. The 4-wheel steering works pretty well around trees etc., not as good as a zero turn but well enough to eliminate the need for a push mower.

rockrat
06-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Bought the wife a 304 so she could help with the mowing. She loves the thing. One thing, if you buy one, get a better battery for it. Hers lasted 1 year, and when she tried to start it the next Spring, burnt out some electronics because the battery just didn't have any capacity. They repaired it for $5 (Wasn't the first to do this to the electronics) and told me to get a good battery. Been good so far these last three Springs.

Origional battery had a maintainer on it for the Winter, didn't help. Battery was really light compared to the Interstate I bought.

She did try a zero turn, but our ground is a bit rough and it just beat her to death so to speak, so we bought the 304

higgins
06-07-2016, 05:25 PM
I've used an X300 standard steering model for three seasons now. it turns surprisingly tight, so you might look at one of them before you commit to what has to be a more complicated 4-wheel steering system. My X300 has been trouble-free so far, comfortable (I'm a big man), and cuts good. I like the ideal of a Kawasaki V-twin motor too.

Houndog
06-07-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the John Deere product, but before you buy try a zero turn with a pivoting front axle! You will get the easy ride you are looking for and will be able to mow right up against a tree or pole. The state park I worked for after I retired had zero turns setup with both solid and pivoting front axles. There's absolutely no comparison in the ride and ease of use.

cephas53
06-07-2016, 07:56 PM
Got a 324 with 4 wheel steering that has about 200 hours on it with no problems. Has cut down final trimming substantially. Have a two bag catcher on it. Lots of mulch here now and makes fall leaf clean up easier. Those bags can fill up quickly. Only concern, and it may just be me, but the transmission on this model is a sealed unit. Kinda old school here and would feel better if I could change all the fluids. Used to having equipment quite awhile so time will tell.

Shepherd2
06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
It's nice to hear all these good reports on John Deere mowers. This is the second year for my X500 and I couldn't be happier with it. We have a difficult lawn to mow with steep banks, fences and several large rock outcroppings. My mower isn't a zero turn but it's amazing how tight a turn it will make. I have a walk behind mower for the places I can't get close to and I haven't used it since I got the JD. I tell my wife it's like driving a sports car. I almost look forward to mowing the lawn, almost.

nekshot
06-08-2016, 08:03 AM
I have been into John Deeres for 45 years. I have a L120 presently and it is good. Buy the parts online, much cheaper. I have a older 400 (with power steering) that threw a rod and I am looking for a engine for it.That thing is a grass anything hog with the 60 inch deck! Not desperate to pay new tracter price for engine!

cayton
06-08-2016, 11:21 AM
The other thing to look into is the Cub Cadet zero turns with a steering wheel. Look at the Z-Force and Pro Z models. The RZT's are cheaper box store models.

SteveP
06-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Bought my first John Deere this year. An X390 and love it. Buy the one with power steering as it drives like a dream and turns sharp. Go to the dealership and drive a couple before buying one.