PDA

View Full Version : Cast Pulled Bullet Question

Gene Perryman
06-06-2016, 10:16 AM
All of my pulled 9mm and 38 bullets have a light semi-circle indention across the base of the bullet. The semi-circle is larger than the caliber of the bullet, say 45 to 50 caliber. What's causing it.
All of my bullets are hand seated in the case to about 1/16th and then the seat is finished with the press.

dondiego
06-06-2016, 10:29 AM
I am going to need a picture. I can't visualize what you are describing.

popper
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Started crooked.

mdi
06-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Yep, I'd need a pic too. A semi-circle on the base larger than the diameter of the bullet? Don't understand that...

Chris C
06-06-2016, 12:52 PM
All of my pulled 9mm and 38 bullets have a light semi-circle indention across the base of the bullet. The semi-circle is larger than the caliber of the bullet, say 45 to 50 caliber. What's causing it.
All of my bullets are hand seated in the case to about 1/16th and then the seat is finished with the press.

If you are pulling your bullets with an inertia puller, (hammer) the bullets tend to hit the soft pad and rebound back and hit the exposed brass edge.............hence the semi-circle. I don't ever reload pulled bullets. They just go back in the pot and are remelted.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
If you are pulling your bullets with an inertia puller, (hammer) the bullets tend to hit the soft pad and rebound back and hit the exposed brass edge.............hence the semi-circle. I don't ever reload pulled bullets. They just go back in the pot and are remelted.
This !

Also, I put one foam ear plug inside the inertia puller, to cushion the boolit. I don't re-use it, but I want a undamaged boolit for measuring purposes.